Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serato Scratch Live

• 11-08-2009 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if this is good or not?Does anyone have any experience using it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Most DVS systems at this stage are very solid. I have used Serato once and it was solid although I did not like the interface.

As regards other options Tracktor for me has always felt awkward, I have to say I much prefer Torq. Torq is easy to use, has all the features I need and everything is accessible on screen quickly and easily.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's pretty much been industry standard for DVS's for years, and it was the first one of any of the software to become reputable for being stable etc etc - so yes, its very good.

These days though there are lots of others which are as good if not better. Try Tracktor Scratch Pro - I'd say it probably kicks its ass in features. Depends what you are looking for though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Can anyone tell me if this is good or not?Does anyone have any experience using it?

Yes it's great, had it 18 months now and it's rock solid

Doesn't have the bells and whistles that many of the other ones do, but uses less resources and has a deserved reputation for stability.

Avoid Torq and the other budget yokes, unless you're only going to be using it at home...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Torq is probably not as good as Serator or Traktor - but its served me well for years and I cannot even remember the last time it crashed. If you can save up for one of the others but if you just want a chaep bedroom solution the Connectiv is excellent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

And did you have to buy the Serato box to connect to your computer?

I'm on the MSTRKRFT forum and I know the two lads from Mrstrkrft swear by it.

• Advertisement

Well actually I use the Xponent: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/TorqXponent.html cause I don't see the need to being turntables into the equaision when I can do everything I need perfectly with one controller and a laptop. Simplicity wins for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Serato is basic enough and expensive but does things very, very well. I've had mine nearly 3 years at this stage and swear by it. I've seen Traktor (not Pro) have issues and problems crashing and, for me anyways, Serato has never crashed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Have Serato scratch almost a year now and use it in the bed room :)

Its, no comparison to Stanton / Trackor which I thought was rubbish, for starters you can load the software on to any pc you want without having to go through the complex process of registration and installing codes etc. The interface is far Superior and more user friendly. Definitely recommended.

And did you have to buy the Serato box to connect to your computer?

I'm on the MSTRKRFT forum and I know the two lads from Mrstrkrft swear by it.

Serato box (really just an external soundcard), the timecoded vinyl, and all the cables you need to operate it come in the one package.

Software updates are free from the website.

It's a piece of piss to get up and running too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Anyone know if ya can use searto software with traktor hardware ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

+1 For Serato, I have been using it for a long while now and have no complaints whatsoever. It is a rock solid application and has never crashed on me (mac or windows).

Serato is definitely the way to go for live performances...It wont let you down! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Whoa,the hardware for Serato is really expensive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Luke Creed

I know a lot of people that swear by it! Never used it myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Whoa,the hardware for Serato is really expensive!!

Get the SL1 box, no need for the SL3 one IMO

I'd go with Trackor Scratch Pro. The amount of big name DJ's using it is amazing. http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-pro/ - technically its amazingly advanced and if you want maximum ability for best value, I think this steals it.

Serato:
    -More reliable
    -Will run on older machines
    -Older (advantage or disadvantage?)
    -More expensive of the two

Traktor:
    -A fair bit less reliable
    -Higher quality of time-coded vinyl & hardware (but noticeably?)
    -Needs a lot more power/high spec
    -Cheaper of the two
    -More features (but are they necessary?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭djscubasteve

I use Virtual Dj along with a maya44 usb soundcard & wouldn't bat an eylid at any other solution. VDJ's a rock solid program, with great after-sales & online support 24/7 via the official forums. The sound card costs less than €100 & has ASIO support, enabling the use of timecoded cd/vinyl. With the timecoded cd audio track also being freely available to download from the VDJ website, the whole hardware & software package cost me almost HALF the price of Serato.

It'd be worthwile having a look on youtube for demos of the setup, so many people swear by it. It's never let me down once & the latency is super sharp. I've a set of CDJ-1000MK3s & the responsiveness while scratching is no different while using timecodes or normal cds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

excuse my ignorance ,i have tried to find this out.
    does serato convert my vinyls onto the laptop and store them as a file ,then i select the file and play the serato imitation vinyl on the 1210.

also if i have cds can i do the same.

if i download music can i use it also like a record.
    :confused:

You store all mp3 files on your laptop, these can then be played using serato or any similar program. The timecoded vinyl is used to control the track's cueing and speed or you can scratch if your down with that sort of thing.

Read up on it using their forums or look at videos on youtube.

You store all mp3 files on your laptop, these can then be played using serato or any similar program. The timecoded vinyl is used to control the track's cueing and speed or you can scratch if your down with that sort of thing.

Read up on it using their forums or look at videos on youtube.

thanks for the reply.
    really all i want is to be able to carry mixing using the 1210s as i always was.
    can this be done or is it solely for queing a track.

say i pick 2 tune s and allocate them too deck 1&2.
    press start on 1 which will be heard to the crowd,then get the other track ready thru the headphones and use the mixer then to crossover,as it always was like.

"the embarrasment of this,i really havent a jot about this kind of thing!:D

• Advertisement

Pretty embaressing alright,:) yes thats what happens. Its the exact same as using vinyl only the signal the timecoded vinyl plays is taken from what tunes you assign them to. You still have full control of your mixer.

thats what i want.
    basically then all i want is to mix as usual and possibly try beatjuggling.
    So could you recommend which serato to get as i see prices from 2000 down to 250 or so.

Advertisement