Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volkswagen Caddys

• 11-08-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Quick question, went to a car dealer today to look at a 06 VW caddy 1.9tdi 104PS and he told me to stay away from the 2.0SDI 69PS. Apart from the obvious less power in the SDI is their something wrong with the SDI versions? Also would anyone know what miles per gallon you would get out of the two.

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The SDI wouldn't pull the skin off a sausage. The SDI is pretty much a TDI without the Turbo :) The difference in fuel consumption will be minute.

Are the 2.0 the VAG units that experience cracking cylinder heads at circa 70 / 80 K miles ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

tom_ass19 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Quick question, went to a car dealer today to look at a 06 VW caddy 1.9tdi 104PS and he told me to stay away from the 2.0SDI 69PS. Apart from the obvious less power in the SDI is their something wrong with the SDI versions? Also would anyone know what miles per gallon you would get out of the two.

Cheers,
    Tom

How much was it in the garage tom?

I saw 1 the other day a 06 on the side of the road with a sign for €6950 o.n.o which I taught was cheap ?

Dont know what model it was I presume it was a private sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Thanks for the quick replies. I wouldn't be using the van for trade, its just for personal use, having the odd kayak on the roof, thats it really. So would anyone still say the SDI would be suitable for me, also I do about 240miles a week travelling for work and maybe an extra 100 if I go kayaking.

My main worries are cost of fuel, it doesn't matter if I can pull skins of sausages or not :P

edit: It was 8900 but I got it down to 7800 ;) It had 56000, took her for a spin and was in perfect condition throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭alo1587

I have a 04,first of the newer shape, 1.9 TDI,i consistently get 500 miles to a tank, and most of that is around town/short trip driving.I came from Newry to Mitchelstown on just over a quarter tank of diesel after i filled it one day! More power in the TDI compared to the SDI i'd imagine (although i've never driven an SDI.Whats the mileage on the one you're looking at? Timing belt and water pump should be done at 80k miles.Great van overall, and they drive like a car..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It'll be alright if you don't plan on overtaking anyone. Ever. :pac:

Thats some nice milage for a 1/4 of the tank, how much does it cost you to fill the tank? Im trying to find an SDI around where I live to drive her to see the difference. The one I saw today had 56k on her but I think the price was still too high.

If anyone else out there has an SDI could you let me know what the fuel consumption is like, I doubt it would be a big difference as Stephen pointed out above.

Stephen wrote: »
    It'll be alright if you don't plan on overtaking anyone. Ever. :pac:

haha....having a good laugh off your posts :P Thanks for the input aswell mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

not much difference in fuel but it will be a bit embarrising having little
    ole ladies overtake you with their 4 wheel zimmerframes when your driving
    your sdi :D

haha ya :D I guess i'll just go for the TDI, always laughed when overtaking old grannies with their head stuck to the front windscreen and still wearing glasses looking like denis taylor :P

dennistaylor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

SDI is painful. plenty better vans out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

i'd imagine, as is the case with a lot of cars, the fact that you may have to drive the nuts out of it at times could have a detramental effect on fuel consumption when comparing lower powered models with higher powered ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Another +1 for the TDi here. On fuel consumption, you might have to thrash the SDi to get anywhere so you might even end up getting less mpg from the SDi! Theyre shocking slow in car VAGs so in a van, i doubt movement is even possible!

Thats true but I wont be carrying anything in it, well nothing heavy like tools or other items that tradesmen carry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

doesn't matter if you'll be driving downhill non stop for the next 5 years, it'll still be too slow.

TDI it is so, now just have to find a good priced one and jobs done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭alo1587

Around 58 euro to fill from when the light comes on,with diesel at around 103cent.Think they're a 60 litre tank.If you ring the ****e out of it constantly,they're heavyish on diesel,but drive sensibly and you'll be grand.Oh,and they come in 5 door or 6 door,the 6 door has a sliding side door on both sides.Whatever you do,get one with central locking,i'm sick of walking round it every night locking 6 doors!:(

alo1587 wrote: »
    Around 58 euro to fill from when the light comes on,with diesel at around 103cent.Think they're a 60 litre tank.If you ring the ****e out of it constantly,they're heavyish on diesel,but drive sensibly and you'll be grand.Oh,and they come in 5 door or 6 door,the 6 door has a sliding side door on both sides.Whatever you do,get one with central locking,i'm sick of walking round it every night locking 6 doors!:(

Ah ya, I have no reason to drive like a maniac, the road that I travel on to work is a 50mph road so thats all ill be doing, Id say I would get more than 500miles a tank as I wouldnt be carrying anything in the back but still thats alot better than my 1.3 corolla :P

Ill end getting the 5door, if it doesnt have central locking ill just get it installed as I would agree it would be a pain every night locking each door.

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated :)

Advertisement