Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda cars with onboard speed cams

• 11-08-2009 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Question for someone here that may know. Every Garda car now seems to have speed checking devices built into their dashboards and the rear decks. Can they check your speed by driving up behind you or do their own cars have to be stopped in order to clock someone? I was wondering because how would this device check your speed accurately if they Garda car is driving behind you, how does it measure your speed exactly?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

This is how rumours start.

They do not check your speed.

They are ANPR for reading number plates and checking the information linked to them.

See here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_number_plate_recognition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

I'm not sure if it signals the Gardaí if you are breaking the speed limit, but I know that the system does record speed in someway, maybe for the video evidence? Not sure exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

where video exists in the squad car, and it has speed info on it - that is the speed of the squad car - not you - you're seeing..........

A moving camera cannot calculate speed on another moving object.

Example, OP is doing 100. Squad car is doing 80. The best a camera could do in that instance, for a relative measurement would be...........to show 20 - in other words, the difference between OP and squad car.

In fact, ditto for radar/laser. They are referenced to their own speed (which is zero), and are merely showing the difference between that reference, and the speed you're doing (alleged, etc..)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'm surprised no bright-sparks ever fixed that... shouldn't be too difficult to modify an ANPR system to have its reference speed matched to the garda vehicle's current road speed... :confused:

Actually, it's probably a good thing there's no bright sparks in the speed camera industry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

galwaytt wrote: »
    where video exists in the squad car, and it has speed info on it - that is the speed of the squad car - not you - you're seeing..........

A moving camera cannot calculate speed on another moving object.

Example, OP is doing 100. Squad car is doing 80. The best a camera could do in that instance, for a relative measurement would be...........to show 20 - in other words, the difference between OP and squad car.

In fact, ditto for radar/laser. They are referenced to their own speed (which is zero), and are merely showing the difference between that reference, and the speed you're doing (alleged, etc..)

that is not true, ive seen few programs on discovery (i think), about cops and they were patrolling motorways etc for ppl speeding, and they had onboard cameras/lasercameras? equipped with monitors that on the left hand corner showed squads car speed and on the right the car in front of them, the speed calculation was carried out on a distance of 100m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

pablosd wrote: »
    that is not true, ive seen few programs on discovery (i think), about cops and they were patrolling motorways etc for ppl speeding, and they had onboard cameras/lasercameras? equipped with monitors that on the left hand corner showed squads car speed and on the right the car in front of them, the speed calculation was carried out on a distance of 100m

Indeed, the Dutch cops have them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

craichoe wrote: »
    Indeed, the Dutch cops have them too.

The dutch invented the speed camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

About 10 years ago the donegal garda had a green Camry camera car, had the monitor in the dash, it showed the garda cars speed, the car he was following speed and an average speed done over a distance set by the garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bazjnr

Berty wrote: »

They are ANPR for reading number plates and checking the information linked to them.

See here.

Afraid you are not correct there Berty. As well as ANPR the front camera also has speed detection equipment.

It is a VASCAR (Visual Average Speed Computer And Recorder) based system. There are a number of ways it can detect speed.

It is not laser or radar, but basically its a stopwatch and a computer. The Guard records the moment that a vehicle passes two fixed objects eg. marks on the road surface, that are a known distance apart - a speed is calculated by the formula speed = time/distance. Simple! Guards been using them for years in different forms such as Vascar, Provida. Hope that answers your question Mondeo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

I assume all Garda cars have calibrated speedometers as they do in the UK. And that is it. No more needed. Two gardai in the car + calibrated speedo = perfectly good evidence.

Is the thing on the dash not just the strobe light?

• Advertisement

mondeo wrote: »

No, actually, a Greek guy living in NL did - his name..........Gatsonides........he invented it for timing stages on rallies......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

:mad:

http://www.gatso.nl/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

galwaytt wrote: »
    No, actually, a Greek guy living in NL did - his name..........Gatsonides........he invented it for timing stages on rallies......
    I believe this to be correct. Gatso as Run_to_da_hills has pointed out are Dutch.

[OT]....in these recessionary times, it seems one could do worse than go working in that industry if you were an engineer, etc......[/OT]

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Berty wrote: »

See here.

www.garda.ie

Automatic Number Plate Recognition

An Garda Síochána is in the process of fitting Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) systems to Garda Traffic Corps vehicles. This system is used in patrol cars by many police forces worldwide. Systems can scan number plates at around one per second on cars travelling up to 160 kilometres per hour.

ANPR systems also include a speed detection capability. This allows for the measuring of the speed of a vehicle travelling in front of a patrol vehicle. The video camera records on-the-scene evidence of speeding, and offences such as dangerous driving, crossing continuous white lines and breaking red lights.

One of the main benefits of the system is that the plate recognition can run in the background while Gardaí are measuring speed or attending to other issues as demands dictate.

All vehicles fitted with ANPR camera systems will be able to identify vehicles as being stolen, untaxed, suspect, cited as connected with terrorist suspects, crime groups, drug trafficking, people trafficking and/or persistent offending.

The systems therefore make a significant contribution to the fight against serious and organised criminal activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I haven't been stopped in Ireland but i've been stopped by a cop in Australia who recorded my speed as i approached his moving jeep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

mang its **** like that makes me ashamed to be Dutch

Gatsometer B.V can go to hell...:mad:

Advertisement