Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timing Belt/Chain VW Golf?

• 11-08-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

Hey i have a VW Golf 1.6 Sport with 77,000 Km on it (47K miles).

I'm broke/unemployed at the moment and am trying to decide if it is essential that i get the timing belt done. Just had her in for a service the other day (partly why i'm broke) and it was mentioned to me in passing that i should get it done soon but i don't think they even checked it.

Just a few questions for you experts :)

a) Does the 1.6 Golf Mk5 Sport 2005 have a belt or chain?
    b) I was quoted €400 in my garage to have the belt/chain and waterpump done. Does anybody know anywhere that will do it for cheaper please?
    c) Will she last until Christmas when i have a few bob?

Any input greatly appreciated

Cheers guys :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

a) Does the 1.6 Golf Mk5 Sport 2005 have a belt or chain?
    b) I was quoted €400 in my garage to have the belt/chain and waterpump done. Does anybody know anywhere that will do it for cheaper please?
    c) Will she last until Christmas when i have a few bob?
    As far as im aware it a Chain in them models.€400 is very reasonanble,does that include labour or is that just parts?Most chains should be changed every 80,000 kilometres,so it depend on how much your going to be doing before christmas.I would change it now if i were you,most garages should give you a 40 day credit term before you have to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I dont drive very much so i'll probably get it up to 80k km or 83k km by christmas.
    Would you say i would get away with it until then? or at least for 4 or 5 weeks to get the money together.

The €400 was including parts and labour. Although this was probably bearing in mind i handed him €300 the other day for o full service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

I dont drive very much so i'll probably get it up to 80k km or 83k km by christmas.
    Would you say i would get away with it until then? or at least for 4 or 5 weeks to get the money together.

The €400 was including parts and labour. Although this was probably bearing in mind i handed him €300 the other day for o full service.
    €400 is about right for that kind of a job.I dont think you'll get to christmas,id say save for the next few weeknds are try and get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

It has a timing belt and its due. 400 sounds reasonable:)

Do i hear €350 anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Seriously, that's a good price for that job. Get it done sooner than later. If it breaks it'll be costing you a hell of a lot more than €400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

got my timing belt, water pump and tensioners done in my 06 Leon which has the same engine for 350 at a main dealer, but it will need a service at same time. My total bill was 530 all in. Its due every 4 years or 90k km. I know its steep but dont let it go-they do snap and if it does the repair bill will be frightening

EPM wrote: »
    got my timing belt, water pump and tensioners done in my 06 Leon which has the same engine for 350 at a main dealer, but it will need a service at same time. My total bill was 530 all in. Its due every 4 years or 90k km. I know its steep but dont let it go-they do snap and if it does the repair bill will be frightening

Would you mind dropping me a pm with the name of the main dealer you used they might do VW aswell. Unfortunately i just got a service the other day so i will just need the timing belt done. I went up to a VW main dealer today and they wanted over €600 for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

no probs. Will send it on in the morning. Tried to send one there but it crashed but using phone so probably the problem

Advertisement