Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

councilors

Options
  • 11-08-2009 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

which of the councilors that got elected recently had a good education platform?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They all had, as they did with health, roads, rates, water, environment, housing, anti-social behaviour, council spending....
    None of them declared they were runnin on an anti-education platform

If you are asking about your grant again, consider making people work for their job by going to a local FF td or alternatively get a loan from your local credit union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

I figure I will have a better shot of getting the application processed sooner if i contact a councilor and explain the situation rather than just getting fobbed off by someone in the county council again and the department of education have been no help at all.

In case you haven't heard these days you need to prove you dont need a loan in order to get a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭JTC83

which of the councilors that got elected recently had a good education platform?

Donal Lyons has a particular interest in education, and is very active with many schools around Galway. He's on the board of management in a few primaries around town IIRC. And he's fairly sound and helpful too. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

You'd imagine that Hildegard Naughton would have a good stance on education, given that she's a teacher.

Is it city or county councillors you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's something about Irish politics/life that I just don't get:

What's the point in going to a local councillor, when the councils don't actually run schools or (AFAIK) any education schemes?

It seemed really odd to see council candidates going on about welfare policies etc, when they don't actually have any control over the topic.

Or is there a massive link that I'm missing somwhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Give a shout to Peter Keane as he knows all the legal end of things or else go to Padraic Conneely and he will certainly give you an education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

JustMary wrote: »

What's the point in going to a local councillor, when the councils don't actually run schools or (AFAIK) any education schemes?

It seemed really odd to see council candidates going on about welfare policies etc, when they don't actually have any control over the topic.

maybe you really are missing a link.... this is irish politics, you dont need to run something to influence it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

You've made an excellent point there, I was canvassing some time ago for the national elections and I was talking to folk on the doorsteps. They were going to vote for the party who'd sent the local councillor along at the opening of the new classroom/bus shelter/ soccer club. They were under the impression that if a local councillor turned up, the party had done alot for them in the area.

I gaged that most folk couldn't tell the difference in powers and jurastictions between a councillor and a TD. I explained and they genuinly looked like they were getting new information!!!!

Good old fashioned village pump politics. Most folk dont' have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Yes, there is something you are missing. Just how do you think the political system works in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

mike kelly wrote: »
    Yes, there is something you are missing. Just how do you think the political system works in this country?

wait wait wait

now I've missed something

...the political system in this country works???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

ask them the next time they call round your house, in five years time, looking for your vote

Advertisement