Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in the USA?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know how I would even go about this? Im particularly looking at engineering in the civil and structural fields, maybe a little environmental?

Anyone ever done a masters in the states? particularly in New York maybe?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

What are you wanting to know? I might be able to help you out. I'm currently helping someone who's looking into MBA programs in the US.

As long as you have at least a 2.1 (preferably a high 2.1 to a 1st for highly competitive programs), you should be good to go if you do well on the GRE. If an essay is required for the application, this will be extrememly important. This will be the case with top programs as you need to distinguise yourself from other applicants with similiar qualifications and achievements. It's required for most master's degrees. Also, in regards to funding, google fulbright scholarship. They offer 1 year awards that pay for everything. You can study for 2 year, but they will only cover one year. However, the website won't be updated yet, so there will just be general info available.

Also, you'll need to apply for an F-1 visa after you're accepted. You'll be allowed to work 20 hours per week on it. Also, many universities offer teaching and graduate assistantships which can cover tuition (up to that of in-state) and a stipend. Sometimes these are only available in second year as you may be required to have taking a teaching course relevant to your degree.

My advice would be to explore the different programs and contact the international office and/or admissions office. This will give you a better idea of the program and what they school is looking for. You could get an estimate of the GPA equivalent of your degree. Also, many schools will offer international scholarships and provide link to outside scholarships.

Also, if you fancy a trip to the US, I would advise going to the campuses to get a feel for them, if you're unfamiliar with the area. Also, apply early. You'll want to sent in your application by xmas, if possible. The sooner the better, especially since you'll have to submit a visa application.

If you have any other question, just ask on here are send me a pm.

Best of luck.

Advertisement