Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girls?

• 11-08-2009 5:46pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Random thought occurred to me last night? Are there any girls on this forum at all? I think I have seen a few post once or twice in the clubbing section but can't say I know of any regulars here. Super extra bonus points if she Dj's.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

There's a fair few that act like girls on occasion! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

They're all waiting for Soulful and Funky House to make a comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Wouldn't like to see the one's waiting for the Hardcore Breaks :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

woman trapped in a man's body? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Oh how I would love for a single one of my female friends to like dance music....

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I was introduced to dj'ing and was taught a bit by a female dj. She's pretty awesome.

She's on here too but will leave it up to herself to post if she so chooses. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Me.

But I'm only pretending to like dance music. I'm really just looking for a man.

If you think that's extreme, sure I went and did a degree at Uni for the same reason.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Had to clean the thread sorry lads :(

Anyhoo back on topic, are there many female irish Dj's on the scene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Zascar wrote: »

LOL now that my super duper thread got vaporised we will never know...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I'm a girl if that helps. Don't post much on this forum though. Prefer the ones with slightly less modding

edit: Haha I'd already replied to that poor lass before I saw this thread

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ah come on its not bad over here. The reason I had to clean the thread was it was reported because of comments about modding on other forums - so rather than risk it I just deleted and got back on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

yeah, there's a good few... most of the ones i can think of moved on to other pastures though; genie still plays around dublin, aoife nic canna is always on the go too... ali from bassbin left the country, as did B who ran studio b, beatnik (who was one of their residents) hasn't played out much in the past few years... err... there's saoirse ryan, orla feeney and the rest of that sort of ex-hard house crowd, and then there's dj halfdutch who does her eclectic thing (extraordinarily technical dj!)... up-and-coming-wise there's k.ska and crazel as well as a good few others i'm sure who wouldn't neccesarily be gigging...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

I'm on a career break :pac:

No really, was big in to DJ'ing for years (got decks at 13, started gigging at 14...) playing all kinds of music in all kinds of venues big and small, till about a year or so ago (I'm 25) :)

Honestly, as working DJs among you know, when its "your job" as in you are relying on the income and are out driving up and down the country five nights a week, the fun sorta gets sucked out of it :o

Also dance music wise, I got very bored with the "music" (remixey shyte) being churned out :rolleyes: and "other" music wise, peoples narrowminded choices of what they want to hear on a night out. In certain gigs you can put in zero effort or 100% and still get the same reaction, its very disheartening.

So I'm taking a break for a while. I'm tired of it. I miss my friends and ya know, being on the other side of the decks is fun too :)

At the moment I'm doing a low key saturday night and that's it. its in a bar, the equiptment is sh!t, but I get to play music i really, really like and everyone who works there is sound so its a pleasure to come to work. People seem to be enjoying it too and coming back which is nice.

I will definitely get back into "proper djing" though when I feel the time is right. I went out on a high note though, competing poolside at this years WMC :D I didnt win but ya know what? I did a bloody good job and had an awesome time :)

oh also hi all, think its my first post here :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mairsmi

I'm a girl:) but sadly not a DJ.

I lurk way more than I post on here but I LOVE reading the Asylum thread and listening to the tunes linked. Brings back very happy memories of Sides DC days.

Sure it can't only be guys who are into dance music...

I can't contribute to lots of the threads about events/club nights as I live in London now so am pretty clueless about Dub nightlife.

this is my favourite board on the whole site. Mods or not ;)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I'm a girl too and I post loads, screw you Collie!!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm a girl! I like some dance music.

Went through a "wanting to be a dj" kinda phase a few years ago. My Dad works in music and my brother and I used to cling to his DJ friends whenever we'd visit him when we were younger. And we'd get them to show us how to work their equipment and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I didnt mean the modding in here particularly, just boards.ie in general. Having to toe the line and the likes. Not much of a fan of that.

Sure everyone knows theres no girls on the internets. I usually get mistaken for a bloke anyway with the way I talk and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭djscubasteve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Wouldn't like to see the one's waiting for the Hardcore Breaks :eek:

you and the rest of the geeks into mind numbingly boring minimal might try and make a joke about how there is no such thing as Hardcore Breaks, i have on more than 1 occasion posted links to websites and various other links to prove there is, so fcuking deal with it or say nothing:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

They're all waiting for Soulful and Funky House to make a comeback.
    It's better than bleedin dubstep where it appears all they so are sample old skool tracks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

jonny68 wrote: »
    you and the rest of the geeks into mind numbingly boring minimal might try and make a joke about how there is no such thing as Hardcore Breaks, i have on more than 1 occasion posted links to websites and various other links to prove there is, so fcuking deal with it or say nothing:rolleyes:

ah johnny you must be full by now from all the bait youve just taken:pac:

surely to god your ignore list is as long as your arm at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

haha legend.

lol at zascar and his internet pulling ways. Fair play. Get in there ya dawg!!!

try and make a joke about how there is no such thing as Hardcore Breaks,
    Been on the lookout for hardcore breaks for a long time and can't find any. please help.

have tried beatport, juno, djdownload, and every other download store and can't see it. but it HAS to be there surely?

jtsuited wrote: »
    haha legend.

lol at zascar and his internet pulling ways. Fair play. Get in there ya dawg!!!
    hahah well that was not my intention but I suppose this is the interwebz so anything is possible haha - it was more a wondering if this board is a total cockfest or if there are any ladies on here at all.

Anyhoo - girls - please stop b1tching :P

You'd think the geeks would actually do their homework beore making fools of themselves (again)

oh look there's Hardcore Breaks for sale and interviews with DJ's and producers on the scene :eek::rolleyes:
    http://www.grooveclick.co.uk/

Acid / Classic House
    Bassline
    Deep / Funky House
    House
    Progressive House
    Tech House
    Hard Trance / Hard Style
    Psychadelic Trance
    Trance
    Hardcore Techno
    Techno
    Hard Dance / Hard House
    Freeform
    Hardcore
    Old Skool
    Breaks
    Hardcore Breaks
    Chill Out / Ambient
    Leftfield / Broken Beat
    Trip Hop
    Dubstep
    Garage
    Grime
    Drum & Bass / Jungle
    Soul / R & B / Urban
    Reggae / Dub / Ragga
    Electro
    Hip Hop / Rap
    Dance / Disco
    Acid Jazz
    Funk

as i said i could list hundreds of websites and links but no point as the geeks will just come out with some more rubbish!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭tara666

im a girl but keep it tooo ur self plz :mad:

word to the wise:

don't ever use the genre list of a download site to prove a point if they spell the word psychedelic wrong.

lol.

I know Stu Chapman myself, really sound guy and a very talented DJ and producer:)

Hardcore Breaks News
    Random Profile:
    STU CHAPMAN

Hailing from London, UK... but now living on the Gold Coast of Australia, Stu has always listened to breakbeat driven music. From Oldskool Hardcore to Jungle, to Drum'n'Bass he's played it all, but in 2003 (Thanks mainly to an inspirational conversation with MC Nino of Production House/Baby D fame) he decided to not only DJ, but write and produce electronic music just like the Oldskool Hardcore he lived and breathed for years.

Fast Forward to 2004... a few like minded people began writing tracks with a modern day twist, and many of the labels that are about today within Hardcore Breaks were born.
    Enormous Mouse was one such label.

• Advertisement

Eh a little off topic methinks?

Eh a little off topic methinks?

true but the usual suspects started it (as usual)

They are playing a game called Lay a trap and watch jonny fall into it. It never fails.
    Be the bigger man jonny! Just ignore it!
    :p

They are playing a game called Lay a trap and watch jonny fall into it. It never fails.
    Be the bigger man jonny! Just ignore it!
    :p

why,they have made themselves out to be fools once again,:D

yes, we're the fools.

lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

true but the usual suspects started it (as usual)

i was always of the impression that me and jtsuited are "the usual suspects" but apparantly its cm tyranny and vinyljunkie.

maybe because he cant see what me and jtsuited post hes presuming its us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

innocent_smoothies1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cngamemart

actually strange thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I browse a bit here but I'm more into the music than the clubbing element of things these days. The experimental music forum seems a bit friendlier and more suited to my tastes. The discussions can be quite aggressive in here too, putting me off posting altogether.

fits wrote: »
    I browse a bit here but I'm more into the music than the clubbing element of things these days. The experimental music forum seems a bit friendlier and more suited to my tastes. The discussions can be quite aggressive in here too, putting me off posting altogether.

That is a very good point, something that I think might warrant its own topic, as this has been said to me a few times.

The forum has changed significantly in the last while. We've got a lot of new members who are contributing very positively and generally making the place a lot better and more interesting (thanks guys, you know who you are) but then again some have said that this forum is far too "clicky" and people are afraid to post. I'm sorry to hear this as I do think when noobs post we do out best to help them out and provide good advice. Although if anyone posts what is perceived to be very low quality dance music, they usually get quite a hard time - but in fairness most other sites are exactly the same...

I might think of putting up a new charter or something to generally encourage newbies etc and generally get more banter going in here. Please use the report button or send me a pm if you want to highlight any behaviour that goes against this. The aggressive posing you mentioned is usually confined to one small group, its been going on for years and most of us find it hilarious! However in reality we try not to do too much moderation in this forum and generally just let it go - however this is not dmi/emi and as much as it may sometimes pain me, I am bound to the overall rules of boards.ie and have to act appropriately. Compared to most other forums there is a very low amount of modding done in here, and even at that there are a lot of moans and groans whenever we do. I often have to resist temptation to even clean a thread that has gone ridiculously off topic (like this one) - personally I'd prefer to see some threads just get a kick back on topic to discussing the subject in hand, but often its good to let them go and see what happens.

Anyway I think most of the regulars would agree the sense of community spirit has improved a lot in recent times, there was a time not all that long ago when this forum was almost a ghost town...

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

fits wrote: »

Yeah the experimental forum is good but tends to be tumbleweed a lot the time, unfortunately!

• Advertisement

Ah to be fair, apart from the me/Sean/VinylJunkie/A good few others vs. Jonny saga, everything else seems to be civilised around here.

There's a good laugh to be had here and there are a good few of us who share very similar interests musically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mrs.vandoorn

Im a girl and dance music is life for me. Dont post often because might get 'heckled' by all the males in here. So its a +1 for the girls. :D

I think alot of new female talent is breaking through at the moment ie. Orla Feeney. Its good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'd forgotten about this thread. Meh I'm just not really into the 'this genre is FANTASTIC, that genre is ****e' arguments. People like what they like, dont try and force it down someone elses throat, dont belittle them if they dont know the latest releases on some obscure label, and dont think less of them if they werent attending the best clubs in 1987.

And while the protagonists above might think their little spats are hilarious, I just find it dull and offputting. Just telling you like it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ibeatza

i was just thinkin the same thing, as I am a girl
    but i must say i hate the comment about us waitin for soulful and funky house to make a come back

the cheek ha

gotta have me so techno electo etc

at the moment i gotta big up kissysellout and prydz

i know two copletely different stles but both brilliant

ooh and annie mac best female dj out there at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

ooh and annie mac best female dj out there at the moment![/QUOTE]

Not on a month of Sundays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 maggieJ

im a girl new enough to boards...LOVE most types techno..cant mix for s**t tho :(

ibeatza wrote: »
    kissysellout...prydz

i know two copletely different stles...

ooh and annie mac best female dj out there at the moment!

They may be different, but I can think of one connection.

I can think of a sentence using each of those acts and the word 'vomit'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BlueButterBean

Yes I'm a girlie!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

maggieJ wrote: »
    im a girl new enough to boards...LOVE most types techno..cant mix for s**t tho :(

At least you like most types of Techno, there's hope for us all.....

:)

Welcome to all the lurking ladies of the board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 maggieJ

magdas probably one of the best female djs i think

• Advertisement
Advertisement