Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it sexist to only want a female housemate?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

My housemate and I are looking for a someone to share a large 3 bedroom house (with in walking distance form the city centre if anyone's interested) but as we are two females in our 20s, we want another female. She says we can't specify that on ads as it's sexist - I think she's way off.

Who's right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

You are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Maybe you can, maybe you can't. Lots of people do it. She sounds like someone you would not want to live with anyway. When it comes to the people you let in to your home you should be allowed to discriminate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

loads of ads specify that they'd prefer male/female/professional/student, its up to you who you want living in your house, its not sexist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

if the you own the house no if you don't sort of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

No its sexy proceed:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

In PC land it probably is a bit 'sexist' alright but who gives a ****, your going to have to live with this person so choose who you want. If that means females only then so be it.

This is a male opinion by the way so the PC brigade can fook right off :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Of course it's sexist, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Tons of ads specify.
    The stories a work colleague has told me of creepy guys showing up to view her apt would scare you off for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

If you don't specify (but really would rather a female flatmate) then the only result will be that you'll have to spend more time vetting potential flatmates. And you'll end up wasting the time of men who come to view the room but who won't actually be considered.

That said, don't be surprised if you do this specify this in the advert and still get men calling to view. Some people either won't read the advert, or will simply ignore it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

jane k wrote: »
    My housemate and I are looking for a someone to share a large 3 bedroom house (with in walking distance form the city centre if anyone's interested) but as we are two females in our 20s, we want another female. She says we can't specify that on ads as it's sexist - I think she's way off.

Who's right?

Are ye afraid of men? Shy? :eek:

It's up to you but I think it's a bit close minded.

If anything the right male might bring some balance to the household.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think the Equal Status Act makes an exemption for ordinary residences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

It is sexist i think but it's your house so its your choice. It's a right pain at the moment finding a house mate so you mightn't have any choice and you might have to take a dirty smelly man!!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It's not sexist, it's a preference.

EDIT: Unless the reason for not wanting to live with a man is because all men are stupid bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nothing wrong at all, your choice and preference.
    You don't have to explain your reasons to anyone

I suppose the TV remote won't be taken off you when the football season starts again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Going by this scenario some people would also see it as sexist to have men or women only toilets in a bar :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Look through the lonely hearts column, and see how many men turn up looking to move in with the "two women" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

It is sexist but who in their right mind cares what you put in your ad ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

look for a gay guy, it'll be a compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You're right, she's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It could be sexist but if you put "Wanted: female to share with 2 girls" I don't think anyone will object. It's evident why you want a female then imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

It is actually one of the few exceptions listed within equality legislation which is allowed. It is not seen as discrimination as it is seen as an understandable in a similar way that it is understandable that toilets are split by gender.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's as if a female housemate never caused anyone a problem in their lives..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Victor points out, "ordinary residences" are excluded from the Equal Status Act.

This means that where you're advertising a vacancy in the property in which you are normally living, you are entitled to use whatever criteria you like. You can specify, "no blacks, no jews, no gays, no men" if you like. Perfectly legal. And perfectly ethical IMO. A person should not be required to share their home with anyone whom they wouldn't be comfortable with, whatever the nature of that discomfort. If anything it also saves the renter from inadvertently moving in with a racist, bigoted sexist. :D

Equal status does kick in though where you're advertising a place in which you're not living (i.e. where the tenant(s) will have exclusive use of the property). In this case, you cannot discriminate on the big grounds, but people often use more subtle restrictions such as "Social welfare cheques not accepted".

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Its not sexist really.

If i was on the look out to rent a room, I would far rather read the ad and realise that its aimed at a female, than go around view the place and waste everyones time - just because your friend wanted to be pc and not put down that they wanted a female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UCDLazyBoy

Hell Yeah Its Sexist!!!
    Just because a lot of people do it doesn't mean its not sexist!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

what's wrong with being sexy?

...sorry, I had too :D

Like it was already said its not legally sexist and its more common sense then anything. You are gonna be living with this person, so you can decide what ever criteria you want.
    But other then actually sharing a bedroom what problem is there with male/female sharing a flat? Do you like to walk around nude? ....?
    Picking a flatmate is like a lucky dip anyway, you are just as likely to find someone who is horrible to live with that is a female than a male.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

if it isn't sexist to not want men in your house, is it not racist if you say you don't want black people? is this just "preference"? what's the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

jane k wrote: »

Who's right?

i wouldnt live with someone with such bad politics as your friend but thats just me

as for it being sexist , so what if it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

look for a gay guy, it'll be a compromise

good idea, your friend sounds like a pc lefty so she would obviously love the idea of living with a gay guy , the politically correct are predictable as wet weather in ireland

Advertisement