Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow (Roundwood) options ?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Anyone else from here and have BB? I think Eircom exchange is enabled so just wondering what the best (cheapest ) optiosn are ?

I use O2 mobile BB but the map shows no coverage for Roundwood.
    I have looked at Perlico, they sem to have a 3Mb pack for 45 quid approx

I dont need that much speed, I just want to email/browse. Upto 3Mb would do me fine. Any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

i'm from roundwood have had eircom bb for 4 months.

the lowest speeds are 1Mb and 3Mb now

perlico only have 3Mb now but its cheaper than eircoms 1Mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Many thanks.

Do I still have to get a line in from Eircom first before ordering Perlico? or can Perlico provide the line and BB?

Thinking about mobile, O2 seem to have no coverage there whatsoever so I am left to choose between Three and Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

KStaford wrote: »
    Thinking about mobile, O2 seem to have no coverage there whatsoever so I am left to choose between Three and Vodafone.

stay away from mobile, you'll only be disappointed...

There's always these guys : http://www.regionalbroadband.ie/

I've no idea if they are any good but two tins cans and some string would be better than mobile midband

Contention 30:1 aaarrrrgghh

• Advertisement

Contention 30:1 aaarrrrgghh

eircom is 48:1 and mobile is 234588755645:1

So it's better:)

Mobile cant tolerate much more than 30-40 users in a cell, and then the cell footprint shrinks. I already use O2 Mobile BB and usually get around 100Kbps download which is all I expect. Its grand for 13 quid a month and I can take it anywhere - well almost anywhere...they have no coverage in Roundwood.

do Regional Broadband cover Roundwood ?

Also, Perlico have a 3Mb package for 45 odd quid (including line rental) so I might be as well off with that.

Mobile cant tolerate much more than 30-40 users in a cell, and then the cell footprint shrinks. I already use O2 Mobile BB and usually get around 100Kbps download which is all I expect. Its grand for 13 quid a month and I can take it anywhere - well almost anywhere...they have no coverage in Roundwood.

do Regional Broadband cover Roundwood ?

Also, Perlico have a 3Mb package for 45 odd quid (including line rental) so I might be as well off with that.

Perlico is mostly resold eircom anyway...so it's still 48:1.

Afaik Regional cover Roundwood but you'll have to confirm with them.
    For the lowdown (unbiased) on mobile check this out:http://irelandoffline.org/wp-content/2009/02/irelandoffline-nbs_briefing_document.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thragon

I'm with Regional Broadband getting 2Mb over wireless about 6k from Roundwood. Very happy cos they are good to deal with, tho given that i'm "rural" I don't have many choices. Not sure if they do Roundwood village.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

i'm in roundwood village and theres no signal in parts in and around THE Village,
    your better off with dsl

• Advertisement

I wont be in the village, I'll be up on Diamond Hill so might do better up there.

thragon wrote: »
    I'm with Regional Broadband getting 2Mb over wireless about 6k from Roundwood. Very happy cos they are good to deal with, tho given that i'm "rural" I don't have many choices. Not sure if they do Roundwood village.

does the speed drop during peak times (8pm in the evening) ? and do you have problems during bad weather ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thragon

does the speed drop during peak times (8pm in the evening) ? and do you have problems during bad weather ?

Yes it can do, and yes, sometimes it degrades during bad weather. But I don't have many choices given that I live in an area that Eircom consider, ahem, "uneconomical", bless 'em.

Thanks for all the help folks, signed up with Regional BB today. Considering I spent the last 2 years using o2 mobile at home, I guess this should be an ok option for my expectations. I will just have to live with peak time contention and bad weather blips. Being up on the hill might help.

At least I dont have to order a bloody land line and pay sone toss bb provider for a call package I do not want. I hate that particular ripoff. Why cant bb providers offer a packack that includes line rental and bb only say for 30-35 quid ? thats all most people want

Advertisement