Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental work

Options
  • 11-08-2009 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hey sorry if this seems like a query that has been up before or is similar to ones that are displayed in other threads but I was just working if anyone could give me some advice.

Went to the dentist todat in Dublin city centre for a check up, 60 bucks including xrays is pretty good I thought.

In any case I was told I need two fillings "between" teeth costing €120 each(I assume they're more technical) and to replace an existing filling costing €100. I was also told to go to the dental hygenist which was €90.

Total bill is 500. But just checking around, I found I could get the hygenist elsewhere for ~ 40?? I also assume those are prices for simple silver amalgam fillings. I'm thinking of getting the technical fillings done at my own dentist and the replacement one etc done elsewhere.

Does anyone thing this is excessive? If it came to it I am entitled to request a copy of my xrays and head up north to get the work done there and how much would it potentially cost - ideally i'd like to get white fillings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

It is not really a al a carte menu to pick and choose from like in a restaurant, its health care. Sounds reasonable to me. The check-up was very cheap. As for dental tourism, use the search feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭thewiseowl12

"health care is not an A La Carte menu".

What exactly does this mean? I want a filling replaced and my teeth cleaned, given that two dentists guarantee the same longevity for the fillings where you're just copying previous work and that teeth cleaning is teeth cleaning then I will possibly go for the cheaper option.
    For technical fillings that haven't been done before I would go to my dentist, who recommended them.

Health care IS an a la carte menu, where you have the choice to pick and choose what and where you want things done.

The soundbite provided sounds like someone trying to say something profound to seem clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Thats great....read the charter, relative expenses are for consumer issues. This is a dental issues forum. Thread locked.

P.S. Your very cross for a noob

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement