Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit when do you get it back

Options
  • 11-08-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

i gave my notice in on july the 20th and im leaving next week the 20th and i have to pay this months rent on friday,when i leave do i ask for my deposit back as im really stuck to pay my deposit on my new place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I would expect to get it on the last day you're there - in your case, the 20th, as you hand back the keys, etc. In fact, I'd be pretty concerned about handing back the keys and not getting the deposit/part of back... I got my deposit back on the last day when I left my previous apartment a few months ago.

However, you should arrange with the landlord/agent to come in and do an inspection before that date as they may need the time to figure out costs, etc for any damages and work out what (if anything) needs to be deducted. After that, on the last day they can quickly check that the place is still in the same state, confirm meter ratings with you, etc and return your deposit.

Some people seem to think that it's ok for a landlord/agent to return the deposit even a couple of weeks after you move out but I disagree. When you move in, you are expected to hand over the deposit straight away, not a few weeks down the line... Why should it be different for the landlord/agent when you move out?

Advertisement