Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV-out on Dell Optiplex SX270

Options
  • 11-08-2009 6:45pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody know if DVI to component cables are compatible with Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chipsets?

I have a Dell SX270 SFF and would like to use it as a quiet Mythtv frontend and am hoping to hook it up to a tv that only has component/composite inputs (no hdmi).

Any other ways to get tv-out on this particular hardware (only has dvi video out)?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Physically impossible if the DVI connector is DVI-D, if it has a DVI-I (i.e. DVI plus the four analog pins around the blade) then the odds are still about as likely as a snowball's chance in hell. A few ATI cards did it way back and a few dual-DVI+HDMI cards may do it now but most component and composite operations are done via the oddball 9pin TV-Out micro-DIN connector on graphics cards and most onboard graphics chips don't support component at all (a few have composite-outs but MSI's DIVA is the only mobo I've ever seen with component-out). Intel will most likely have supported DVI-D and VGA display types only, no YPbPr of any kind, including HDMI on all except GMA4500 (G4X chipsets).

If the Dell mobo doesn't support analog signals at all then you have no other choice than to find a low-profile AGP graphics card and hope you get one that includes a TV-Out-to-Component adaptor in the box set (like my old PCIe HD3850 did)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

The VGA-DVI adapter that came with it has the 4 pins around the blade , iwould it work with a VGA to RCA cable ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

AFAIK if the analog DVI-A pins are being used to provide VGA capability they can't send YPbPr signals too :o

Advertisement