Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the french foreign legion have an Intelligence Regiment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

mega man wrote: »
    Hi, I was just looking through the regiments of the french foreign legion but it didnt mention any intel cores.
    I read an article today saying the french foreign legion were posing as journalist at some kind of show. Anyone any info??

hers the link http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/169471/korean_journalists_booted_from_defcon.html
    i,m sure like any other regiment there sure to have there own intel unit!!!!!! it aint as if there just goin to throw there officers a few newspapers everyday and just get there info from that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Who in their right mind would admit to anything regarding their Intel corps?
    I could tell you more about this but then I'd have to kill you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Darith

mega man wrote: »
    Hi, I was just looking through the regiments of the french foreign legion but it didnt mention any intel cores.
    I read an article today saying the french foreign legion were posing as journalist at some kind of show. Anyone any info??

hers the link http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/169471/korean_journalists_booted_from_defcon.html

They definitley have intelligence personnel. The so-called "Gestapo" are the people interrogate would be legionairres on entry. These are mostly officers but some nco's as well. I persume as with most infantry cores within NATO they would have field intelligence officers assigned which would filter intelligence from somewhere else. The parachute regiment has a pathfinder platoon which is rumored to be trained as special forces. Such training can involve intelligence gathering as a civie much like other nato special forces.
    Also alot of armies claim the solidiers belong to one unit as opposed to another. Many special forces soldiers would be disclosed to the media as marines or paratroppers when discovered or injured. This is what could have happened in this instance.
    Intel units come in many different forms. Artillery spotters, recon/pathfinders etc. I personally doubt the french which risk a black ops unit at a press conference. foreign legion is as good as cover as any. Maybe they were there lokking for someone or something ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Defcon hackers conferance..................Right.

Part of the article, I'm sure you'll find that the Legion weren't the
    only ones there.

Quote :The French Legionnaires were easy to spot, he said. "There's a certain body type you find with people who are in that type of work," he said. "Broad shoulders, narrow waist, not very tall. I'm looking at these guys, going, 'You're in far, far too good shape to be press.'" Quote.

Jeez I'm perfect for the job, Anyone got the Number for Aubagne handy? slouched, beer bellied 40 something squat guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

AFAIK the Deuxieme Bureaux is not a part of the Foreign Legion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Legion has people of many nationalities that speak many languages as good as the natives do.

What do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Every country in EU has an intel legion, they may cooperate with Interpol and work together to find outside or internal threats to their own countries. This can mean going into a neighbouring country and attending a defence conference, to find a suspected member of a terrorist orgaization, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

"Broad shoulders, narrow waist, not very tall. I'm looking at these guys, going, 'You're in far, far too good shape to be press.'"
    Hmm that explains why I get funny looks at some of these events.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DSACRAWLER

The foreign legion do not have ther own inteligence unit the gestapo or DSPLE as they are known are responsible for processing new recruits and performing security checks on legionnaire throughout there careers however each regiment has a recon section reporting to the regimental commander the french regular forces have intelligence regiments...and thats how it is i`m currently serivng in 2eme REI

Advertisement