Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi tec boots+trek to Everest base camp.

Options
  • 11-08-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Are hi-tec walking boots any good does anybody know:confused::confused::confused:
    And does anyone have any tips on trekking to Everest
    doin it in Nov for charity.:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭mckildare

I had a pair of Hi-techs years ago and they were alright for the occasional stroll around the wicklow hills. Not sure if they've upped their ante since then but a pair of Meindls will never let you down. Pricey but worth it

Whatever you do, do it fast and get them broken in. November isnt that far away, best of luck with the trek!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

+1 on Meindl.

I bought a pair of Makalus last year for EBC and found them as comfortable as a pair of slippers. That said, I like a stiffer boot so perhaps that particular model wouldn't suit everyone.

Having waterproof boots isn't so much of a concern for the EBC trek as it would for Irish conditions, comfort and support are the main things to look out for (unless you are crossing a high pass - unlikely). You need to keep in mind that you will be wearing them for up to 8 hours per day so they had better feel good.

You want to have at least 3-4 long walks in them, including lots of downhill, to break them in for EBC. Long walks will also give you a chance to find the best tension in the laces for your feet and identify pressure spots which need attention.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055501702&highlight=hitec

They lasted a month.

Though in fairness, Mahers Sports, who weren't to blame at all for what was obviously a defect, were very helpful, took back the boots without question, sorted it all out quickly and gave me a credit note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Most comfortable boots I ever had were North Face. Kept me dry and never had to break them in. Fitted like a glove from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hi tec are crap.

Meindel / North face / Lowa / Demon etc are all good varieties. Some will suit your foot shape better than other. I prefere Lowa myslef, find meindel uncomfortable for me though one of my friends is exact opposite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

Thanks for all the feedback guys much appreciated.
    Gonna get a pair and bust them out on the galtees at weekend if weather aint too bad:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks for all the feedback guys much appreciated.
    Gonna get a pair

Hold on!

:eek:

You asked for an opinion and you got 4 or 5 posts saying 'don't buy them'...and you'll buy them?!!

I suppose all that's left to say is don't say we didn't warn you! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

No i meant that i will decide on a pair, by trying them on and then bustin a walk on galtees. not meindls as they are rather pricey anyway, my bad.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,259 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

+1 on steering clear of Hi-Tec

Along with the brands mentioned, Asolo, Scarpa and Sportiva are pretty good too.

Good luck with the Trek :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I wear Salomans personally and find they're a great boot. However it's been 4 or 5 years since I bought a pair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement