Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power cables over River Corrib - How high above water?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

OK now here's a random question for ye....

There are 2 sets of power lines going over the river corrib, one at Dangan and the other just below Dangan, but up from Corrib Village. By any chance, does anyone know, or know where I can find out, how high above the water they are? (I realise there'll be a few inch variance as water level rises/lowers)

Thanks folks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The heights are marked on the old set of modified Admiralty charts. I have no idea how accurate this is as the ones I have were marked up in the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Robbo wrote: »
    The heights are marked on the old set of modified Admiralty charts. I have no idea how accurate this is as the ones I have were marked up in the early 90s.

Hmm, nothing on my BA charts - if you come accross yours i'd be greatful if you could let me know. Also if you know the height of the Quin bridge that'd be great

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

They're sitting on the cruiser. I'll dig them out next time I'm down the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

What do you plan on sending along the corrib? as a matter of interest.

ve wrote: »

Nothing, i'm just curious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

ve wrote:

His doomsday device is about to receive an upgrade that will allow it to prowl our inland waterways. He needs to know what overhead clearance is available

:eek:

cornbb wrote: »
    His doomsday device is about to receive an upgrade that will allow it to prowl our inland waterways. He needs to know what overhead clearance is available

I was waiting for someone to mention that thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Surely those wonderful, efficient souls in the ESB should be able to tell you; you'd imagine it'd be the kind of information they's need to have close to hand in case of anything being floated up the river.

In the case of the bridges, infrastructure department in the corporation should be able to tell you the high and low tide heights of all of the bridges.

Otherwise sit under it in a boat with a laser rangefinder...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

John, I hope you're not doing the boy racer thing and fitting a ridiculous aerial to your boat! :pac:

The OPW should be able to tell you the height of the bridge, although it varies a good bit depending on how many gates are open on the weir. Or the owner of the Corrib Princess probably has a good idea, he barely gets through sometimes, and I'm sure he knows the draught and overhead clearance of his boat...

Robbo, where did you get the modified Admiralty chart? I've only seen the original one that has Lough Mask on it as well...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Robbo, where did you get the modified Admiralty chart? I've only seen the original one that has Lough Mask on it as well...

Off Topic, but I will be releasing CorribCharts in the coming weeks - A totally digitalised version of the old BA chart with contour lines, depths, safe routes, marks, shallows etc.

Here's some screenshots....

Corrib1.jpg

Corrib2.jpg

Corrib3.jpg

Corrib4.jpg

Corrib5.jpg

• Advertisement

John, I hope you're not doing the boy racer thing and fitting a ridiculous aerial to your boat! :pac:

The OPW should be able to tell you the height of the bridge, although it varies a good bit depending on how many gates are open on the weir. Or the owner of the Corrib Princess probably has a good idea, he barely gets through sometimes, and I'm sure he knows the draught and overhead clearance of his boat...

Fey! wrote: »
    Surely those wonderful, efficient souls in the ESB should be able to tell you; you'd imagine it'd be the kind of information they's need to have close to hand in case of anything being floated up the river.

In the case of the bridges, infrastructure department in the corporation should be able to tell you the high and low tide heights of all of the bridges.

Otherwise sit under it in a boat with a laser rangefinder...

Thanks for the info lads. Will get onto Mr. McDonagh of the Corrib Princess as he's sure to know his own air draught. I know that when water level is high there's only about 2ft clearance (if not less)

Will also try ringing OPW and the ESB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Thanks for the info lads. Will get onto Mr. McDonagh of the Corrib Princess as he's sure to know his own air draught. I know that when water level is high there's only about 2ft clearance (if not less)

Will also try ringing OPW and the ESB

Like the charts John! Now I see why you're looking for the info...
    I do a bit of mapping and GIS work and they look pretty good. Do you mind me asking where you got the baseline data from to generate the charts and contours? I'd be interested in getting a copy when you're finished anyway...

I know McDonagh has had problems with clearance before and had to get the OPW to open more gates to lower the level so he could pass under the bridge, so between them you should get an accurate height.

Years ago, there was a member of the Corrib branch IWAI who was producing a version of the 1848 charts updated with current marks and shallows. It's not exactly pretty but it does the job.

Like the charts John! Now I see why you're looking for the info...
    I do a bit of mapping and GIS work and they look pretty good. Do you mind me asking where you got the baseline data from to generate the charts and contours? I'd be interested in getting a copy when you're finished anyway...

Nice? They're fuppin' excellent you cheeky pup! :P

The basemap was created from scratch - there is no other digital map of the Corrib with such a high quality basemap (Well, i've yet to see one anyhow). 2 of us involved with the project, I deal with the shallows/marks/safe routes etc. the other party deals with the basemap/outlines and contours. Think it has something to do with georeferencing or something to that nature.

Now, wonder what the RRP should be per copy? :pac: (I joke, I joke!)

Robbo wrote: »
    Years ago, there was a member of the Corrib branch IWAI who was producing a version of the 1848 charts updated with current marks and shallows. It's not exactly pretty but it does the job.

I have those maps sitting infront of me, the bridge/ESB cables are drawn on, but no heights unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Niall, I'll bring out my dumpy level and you can invertly hold the staff up to the top of the cables

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I have those maps sitting infront of me, the bridge/ESB cables are drawn on, but no heights unfortunately
    I think my ones have heights marked in. Been a while since I looked at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

hope this helps with your question,Designated waterways[exc shannon]12.1 meters for maintenance.13.1 at erection of new lines.

biffoman wrote: »
    hope this helps with your question,Designated waterways[exc shannon]12.1 meters for maintenance.13.1 at erection of new lines.

Just spotted this now, thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

well JC, the new maps will be invaluable for the cong-galway next year! maybe this time i might avoid mashing my dagger board in the narrows!
    unfortunately, the engineer who designed the bridge passed away near on 11 years ago...otherwise i would have asked him!

• Advertisement

aido179 wrote: »
    well JC, the new maps will be invaluable for the cong-galway next year! maybe this time i might avoid mashing my dagger board in the narrows!
    unfortunately, the engineer who designed the bridge passed away near on 11 years ago...otherwise i would have asked him!

Thanks for the info re. engineer.

I was on the water for the Cong - Galway this year, sorry you sustained damage, I was not involved officially this year, just a spectator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

how goes the mapping? Also how would I go about getting it? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement