Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

May sound stupid but help needed with replacement of Xenon bulb

• 11-08-2009 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I have a 04 320D with BMW factory fitted xenon headlamps. Got a warning signal on the O.B.C. yesterday and noticed my left front light was gone. Have never replaced these particular bulbs before and I'm just wondering is it just a matter of throwing in a replacement xenon from Halfords? I was in there today and was told that their bulbs would be fine but I thought those bulbs were just for making standard headlamps a bit brighter and more blue. A friend told me that I may have to refill something with gas?? I thought it sounded mad but didn't dismiss it immediately because he knows more about it than I do and because it was me that asked for his help. Anyone have any experience with these genuine xenon headlamp units??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

First of all, swap the bulbs over and make sure that it's the bulb that's gone

Secondly, proper Xenon bulbs aint cheap, but aint that expensive online. Check out eBay etc. a pair can be gotten for about 30euro I think online.

Generally the bulbs don't go, it's the ballast (expensive) but changing over the bulbs will confirm this. On your 320d, make sure water didn't get into the headlamp. This happened me before (covers had broken, replacement only few euro) and xenons stopped working - I was freaking out as ballasts are expensive. I tried out the headlamp totally with a hairdryer and they were fine - that was a relief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I thought that xenon dont have bulbs as such, but rather its a gas discharge. Also I think that if they go they can be expensive to replace, and depending on the age of the car this may be covered under warranty. Often the xenons have an extended warranty. The 'xenons' on ebay and in halfords arent proper xenons, rather HID bulbs which give a xenon effect in a halogen style bulb. Find them a very good, cheap upgrade from standard halogens, but nothing like xenons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I thought that xenon dont have bulbs as such, but rather its a gas discharge. Also I think that if they go they can be expensive to replace, and depending on the age of the car this may be covered under warranty. Often the xenons have an extended warranty. The 'xenons' on ebay and in halfords arent proper xenons, rather HID bulbs which give a xenon effect in a halogen style bulb. Find them a very good, cheap upgrade from standard halogens, but nothing like xenons.

You CAN buy proper Xenon bulbs on eBay, just don't get fooled into buying filiment bulbs by mistake (They'll be H type bulbs, whereas proper Xenon's have a different lettering system I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You CAN buy proper Xenon bulbs on eBay, just don't get fooled into buying filiment bulbs by mistake (They'll be H type bulbs, whereas proper Xenon's have a different lettering system I think)

Should have been clearer, I meant the ones that are a score or so, the proper xenons are kits and a good bit more expensive, but yeah I guess you can buy them on ebay

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

you need a DS2 type HID bulb.
    it will state it on the headlight somewhere. dont get confused with some of the comments above about ebay bulbs not being real xenon, there are xenon conversion kits, xenon type bulbs and xenon bulbs which you need.

but dont forget, you have to replace both of them as the heat build up burns through the bulb, so if you only change one the colour temp between each bulb will be different between your new one and you old (existing) one.
    You need to be sure it's the bulb and not the expensive xenon control unit. If it is the bulb then It's just a bit more involved than a normal bulb change but not hard, you can get replacements from www.convert2xenon.co.uk for about £30 a pair, you need D2S bulbs and i would say to upgrade them to 6000K

please double check your bulbs to make sure im not wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

6000k won't be as bright as, and will look bluer than, the original 3400k - i'd save them for the Christmas tree.

Anan1 wrote: »
    6000k won't be as bright as, and will look bluer than, the original 3400k - i'd save them for the Christmas tree.

oem is 4300k, and the 6000k is more of a pure white.
    i wouldnt go above 6000k as the 8000k is very blue alright.

heres OEM bulbs for sale

Why would you recommend going to 6000k, though, when it's not as bright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Cos they look cooler. You're right tho, more blue means less white.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Cos they look cooler. You're right tho, more blue means less white.
    Maybe the OP should paint the headlight lenses to match the colour of the car - that might look cooler again.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

is it Legal to change standard haolgen bulbs to xenon type bulbs.

i didnt, the quote is there to show where the bulbs can be bought, its not my quote.
    confuzed wrote: »
    is it Legal to change standard haolgen bulbs to xenon type bulbs.

yes, aslong as there fitted correctly to projector style headlights you should have no problems. but if your car has the standard headlights the the xenon bulbs will just scatter and blind everybody.

the UK mot now has a guidline for retro fitting hids to cars, which you must follow or it will fail the MOT.

kceire wrote: »
    i didnt, the quote is there to show where the bulbs can be bought, its not my quote.
    My mistake, sorry!:)

My mistake, sorry!:)

i could of been alittle clearer, but it was late :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Proper Xenon bulbs rarely go,so i would swap over bulbs to make sure it is definitely the bulb,it could be an ignitor or ballast issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

yes, aslong as there fitted correctly to projector style headlights you should have no problems. but if your car has the standard headlights the the xenon bulbs will just scatter and blind everybody.

the UK mot now has a guidline for retro fitting hids to cars, which you must follow or it will fail the MOT.

My Mazda 6 has a projector style headlamps, does that mean that I can install HID kit and I wont blind anyone and I will pass NCT??

Bobo78 wrote: »
    My Mazda 6 has a projector style headlamps, does that mean that I can install HID kit and I wont blind anyone and I will pass NCT??

yes, the installation is easy and because of the projector headlights, the light beam is amied perfectly to the road. it will pas the NCT no problem at the moment, sure hids in standard halogen lights also pass at the moment.

you just need to find out what bulb type your car takes, then get a kit to match that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

yes, the installation is easy and because of the projector headlights, the light beam is amied perfectly to the road. it will pas the NCT no problem at the moment, sure hids in standard halogen lights also pass at the moment.

you just need to find out what bulb type your car takes, then get a kit to match that.

Thanks for the replay, I ll try to find what type of the bulb it's in it.
    Do you know maybe is it necessary to remove the front bumper to be able to install HID kit because as far as I remember someone told me that bumper needs to be removed.?

Bobo78 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replay, I ll try to find what type of the bulb it's in it.
    Do you know maybe is it necessary to remove the front bumper to be able to install HID kit because as far as I remember someone told me that bumper needs to be removed.?

depends on the assembly tbh, but mostly no, it doesnt have to be removed.
    its just a new bulb with ballasts that have to be secured properly, which can be under the headlights if possible or anywhere out of the way really.

Advertisement