Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is a scumbag?

• 11-08-2009 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

Is it someone with a rough dublin accent that has no job

Or is it someone with a D4 accent that takes away your home because you missed a few mortgage repayments?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Someone that would bottle you rather than talk to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Anyone who like's jungle music:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

The first one there...
    Yup, definitely this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

C. Neither.

We need a Poll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

It is someone with a rough dublin accent that works in a bank now lives in D4 and that breaks into your home at the weekend!! :D

They like to mix it up now days!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:confused:

Thin skinny weedy little fcuker with a fuzz on the upper lip who never worked a day in his life and dresses in tracksuits and sponges on the under pressure John Q Taxpayer.

last I heard that was the typical scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Someone whose name ends in 'o'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can get both blue collar and and white collar scumbags.

Btw, scumbags are not indigenous to Dublin only, even though they most common there - you can see them in towns, cities and villages all over the country.

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Zorro??

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

:confused:

Thin skinny weedy little fcuker with a fuzz on the upper lip who never worked a day in his life and dresses in tracksuits and sponges on the under pressure John Q Taxpayer.

last I heard that was the typical scumbag.

you mean the 16 year old kid?

• Advertisement

Anyone who like's jungle music:P

I like jungle and drum and bass. I also like jazz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Elmo?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I'd go with the first one chief, but there are a a lot more scumbags out there than just this definition. Plus, not having a job is not a strong an indicator as it was as there's a lot of non-scumbags on the dole now.

P.S. Nobody takes your home away because you missed a couple of payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Tracksuit tucked into socks, t-shirt or sleeveless top, skint head, paddy hat or a peaked hat at 45 degree angle. Usually a can of dutch gold or bavaria in his hand, knife at the ready, roaring abuse at anyone and everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

I like jungle and drum and bass. I also like jazz

posh Scumbag haha:D was a joke about the jungle i like goldie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

you mean the 16 year old kid?

No !!

There is no age limit apparently.

Qualifications are,you bone up your mott with two or three sprogs and get her a house and John Q Taxpayer will foot the bill.

You go "on the labour" yourself and if luck is with you on"the sick" then you will deal in the BE(black economy) pay fcuk all tax contribute nothing and bingo you are a fully paid up scumbag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

SCUMBAG= Tracksuit, tight haircut, white or black runners, a tatoo(optional) a deviul may care attuide, and prefebale a name like Anto, Decko, Stevo oh hell anyname with a o onto it except Jonjo of course:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

If you have to ask, then...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

A used condom

• Advertisement

dceire wrote: »
    If you have to ask, then...:D

well theyre easy to find in kildare town, just hang outside abrakebabra on a friday night around 3am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I dont have a job and Im not a scumbag.
    Scumbags are just the little ****s that have there white socks tucked into their tracksuit bottoms. Have their hood up all the time. Normally there are a group of them shouting abuse at people then when you confront them they all run off except from the smallest. He runs then when he notices all his smelly friends are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Off the Kerry forum about scumbags with a scumbag.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055645359

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Magnus wrote: »
    You can get both blue collar and and white collar scumbags.

Btw, scumbags are not indigenous to Dublin only, even though they most common there - you can see them in towns, cities and villages all over the country.

Why do we always seem to confuse a skanger with a scumbag?

A scumbag can be absolutely anyone, from any area or any walk of life.

A skanger is a way of living, a culture, a set of habits etc. A dress code, a speech code, a manner code, or lack thereof.

Bernie Madoff is a scumbag. Kerry Katona is a skanger. See the difference!

well theyre easy to find in kildare town, just hang outside abrakebabra on a friday night around 3am

Why do you assume I'm from Kildare Town? Kildare's a big enough place there buddy! I'm sure you would find a plentiful supply of scum there, just like you would in every nook and cranny in the country at that hour. Sadly few places are scumfree :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Its someone who misses their mortgage repayments :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Abigayle wrote: »
    Its someone who misses their mortgage repayments :pac:
    And then blames the bank even though they were the ones that signed a legally binding contract and borrowed more then they could afford!

*just to add to that*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

I'm not sure what to say about that!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Scumbag is anyone that partakes in anti-social behaviour

-robbing cars/bikes/houses (general thievery)
    -criminal damage/vandalism (i.e. wrecking things)
    -harassing people (e.g. causing massive amount of noise late at night)
    -intimidating people (racism, bullying, abuse, also harassment (above))
    -mugging people
    -selling drugs/weapons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Or is it someone with a D4 accent that takes away your home because you missed a few mortgage repayments?

yeah because everyone who works in a bank has a posh D4 accent. :rolleyes:

banks only repossess as a last resort btw.

we really need a 'f*ck you' button as well as a thanks one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Legal Practitioners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Any member of the working class. /edit: or lower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Abrakebabra seems to be their preferred choice of eaterie alright. Much more so than Supermacs or McDonalds. They are drawn to the ones in Limerick and Cork like moths to a flame. Its weird because food in Abra is as dear if not dearer than any other fast food joint.

As for a scumbag description, any tracksuit wearing, gold chain hoarding, tattoo emblazened dcikhead who smells of cheap washing powder and stale beer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

first one definetly

grenache wrote: »

As for a scumbag description, any tracksuit wearing, gold chain hoarding, tattoo emblazened dcikhead who smells of cheap washing powder and stale beer :)

You have described a skanger, not necessarily a scumbag. To be a scumbag, one must be a nasty nasty piece of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Sean_K wrote: »
    Any member of the working class.

Controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Sean_K wrote: »
    Any member of the working class.
    Damn Middle Class people pushing us down,rise up my JD sports clad bretheren!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

walshb wrote: »
    You have described a skanger, not necessarily a scumbag. To be a scumbag, one must be a nasty nasty piece of work.

A skanger is a nasty piece of work, skangers are by definition scumbags, some are just worse than others:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

As for a scumbag description, any tracksuit wearing, gold chain hoarding, tattoo emblazened dcikhead

God forbid anyone dresses differently to what your own tastes dictate

Most people who wear tracksuits or have tattoos are normal law abiding people, a scumbag is not

Damn Middle Class people pushing us down,rise up my JD sports clad bretheren!!!!

Haha so true! This riot is sponsored by JD Sport in association with Celtic FC :D

Many a scumbag to be found here

A skanger is a nasty piece of work, skangers are by definition scumbags, some are just worse than others:mad:

A skanger is not necessarily a nasty piece of work. They are distinct entities.
    Yes, a skanger can be a scumbag, just like a politician or doctor could be a scumbag.

The point is that a scumbag is a person who is downright nasty and bad.

A skanger is just really a way a person lives, styles themselves, carries themselves.
    They may not ever even break a law, they just reek of chav and all that!

So, a skanger is one thing, but a scumbag is more unique and applies to all
    humans, no matter where they are from, how they speak, eat, dress, walk etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

orourkeda wrote: »
    Shit-stirring

Fixed that for ya ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

What you would call a skanger, we would call a knacker or a scumbag. Although i know for some people, the term 'scumbag' covers a whole range of unpleasant individuals from whatever class or creed.

A skanger is not necessarily a nasty piece of work. They are distinct entities.
    Yes, a skanger can be a scumbag, just like a politician or doctor could be a scumbag.

The point is that a scumbag is a person who is downright nasty and bad.

A skanger is just really a way a person lives, styles themselves, carries themselves.
    They may not ever even break a law, they just reek of chav and all that!

So, a skanger is one thing, but a scumbag is more unique and applies to all
    humans, no matter where they are from, how they speak, eat, dress, walk etc!

Thanks for the definition Mr Merriam-Webster :D me thinks you've got it spot on right there!

Thanks for the definition Mr Merriam-Webster :D me thinks you've got it spot on right there!

No bother, btw, I hate skangers for the way they care feck all about the
    way they act, dress, talk and behave in general; but there are skangers who
    are decent people and nice people who would help you out.

Scumbags are a different kettle of fish altogether. Much harder to spot as well,

What you would call a skanger, we would call a knacker or a scumbag. Although i know for some people, the term 'scumbag' covers a whole range of unpleasant individuals from whatever class or creed.

To me a scumbag should be reserved for a nasty nasty person, nothing else.

Examples are, Hitler, Manson, Brendan O'Donnell, Malcolm McCarthur etc.

Skanger: Examples are, Kerry Katona, Shane Lynch, Lily Allen, Cheryl Cole, Jordan, Colin Farrell etc

The there are twats: Bono, Geldof, Davina McCall, Jerry Ryan (Skanger too)....Gay Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishmatic

a scumbag is someone with no morals,values,respect,no admirable personality traits and is clueless to the meaning of ethics.....

and by the way i am from a working class background, wear tracksuits,have tattoos and definitly do not consider myself a scumbag lol...although my presumption is that the person who said the working class was doin a little **** stirrin for his own amusement ha

• Advertisement
Advertisement