Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is a scumbag?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

God forbid anyone dresses differently to what your own tastes dictate

Most people who wear tracksuits or have tattoos are normal law abiding people, a scumbag is not
    Someone who dresses in a tracksuit, wears big chains or earrings, and has a trashy highly visible tattoo is a skanger/scumbag, who more than likely has spent their whole life on the dole and will continue to do so while dabbling in anti-social activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

grenache wrote: »
    Someone who dresses in a tracksuit, wears big chains or earrings, and has a trashy highly visible tattoo is a skanger/scumbag, who more than likely has spent their whole life on the dole and will continue to do so while dabbling in anti-social activities.

You just don't get it do you. You refuse to be able to
    separate the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

walshb wrote: »
    No bother, btw, I hate skangers for the way they care feck all about the
    way they act, dress, talk and behave in general; but there are skangers who
    are decent people and nice people who would help you out.

Scumbags are a different kettle of fish altogether. Much harder to spot as well,

Again, we're on the same wavelength there, I took hate skangers but there are a few decent ones out there. Scumbags are a sneaky bunch alright like a chameleon, bastards should be made to carry around a specially designated scumbag flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freedom of info

To me a scumbag should be reserved for a nasty nasty person, nothing else.

Examples are, Hitler, Manson, Brendan O'Donnell, Malcolm McCarthur etc.

Skanger: Examples are, Kerry Katona, Shane Lynch, Lily Allen, Cheryl Cole, Jordan, Colin Farrell etc

The there are twats: Bono, Geldof, Davina McCall, Jerry Ryan (Skanger too)....Gay Byrne

Bertie Ahern fits into all of those catagories:D

You just don't get it do you. You refuse to be able to
    separate the two.
    People down here just refer to them as scumbags. Either correctly or incorrectly. Skanger is a Dublin word anyway, i've never heard it used in Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

dceire wrote: »
    Again, we're on the same wavelength there, I took hate skangers but there are a few decent ones out there. Scumbags are a sneaky bunch alright like a chameleon, bastards should be made to carry around a specially designated scumbag flag.
    It's mad, most scumbags come across as the most charming and friendly people you could ever meet. They are so manipulative and deceptive. Then again, they also can
    be so so discernible and in your face.

I would consider for example, a tradesman who rips off a customer to be a scumbag. That pisses me off. Seems nothing major, but it's a scummy thing to do to another person.

Or, a football player who blatantly goes out to cause an injury
    to a fellow player. Hey, this might offend, but Roy Keane
    is a typical scumbag player. Or, gurrier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

This is your A-Typical skanger, speaking from experience I believe he also falls into the scumbag category!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rmcc

skinny,
    tight tash,
    skin head or outrageous mop
    fat ass,
    Racer or Triumph 20 with T bars
    has 20 major
    has no money
    dirty stonewashed denim
    eyes twittering and makes no sense this is because he's thinking how he's going to rob your cans of beer or your wallett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

rmcc wrote: »
    eyes twittering and makes no sense..

Their technology knows no bounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

http://www.londonclasswar.org/images/scumbag.jpg...

also anyone that finishes every sentence with boss.... or starts one with do ya wanna buy a gate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freedom of info

grenache wrote: »
    People down here just refer to them as scumbags. Either correctly or incorrectly. Skanger is a Dublin word anyway, i've never heard it used in Munster.

they're called langers down there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mr.Obvious

-selling drugs/weapons

My friend sells me weed and the odd pill. He is the nicest person you could ever meet. Are you saying he's a scumbag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Mr.Obvious wrote: »
    My friend sells me weed and the odd pill. He is the nicest person you could ever meet. Are you saying he's a scumbag?

I think he is yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

He sells you drugs and you call him a friend? Oh and yes he is a scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

What is a scumbag? Maybe it is a "plant" contributor on the Aidan Kennedy talk show on FM104... he/she (but mostly he!) makes a provocative statement, inciting bait to ring up to protest at what the plant just said and when the plant sticks by his guns, the baited caller gets more and more annoyed and ends up calling the bogus contributor a scumbag...don't listen to the "show" too often, but anytime I do, it usually takes less than five minutes before that lazy description is applied to someone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

CUCINA wrote: »
    What is a scumbag? Maybe it is a "plant" contributor on the Aidan Kennedy talk show on FM104... he/she (but mostly he!) makes a provocative statement, inciting bait to ring up to protest at what the plant just said and when the plant sticks by his guns, the baited caller gets more and more annoyed and ends up calling the bogus contributor a scumbag...don't listen to the "show" too often, but anytime I do, it usually takes less than five minutes before that lazy description is applied to someone!
    So bloody true :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Someone whose name ends in 'o'.

Anto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Is it someone with a rough dublin accent that has no job

Or is it someone with a D4 accent that takes away your home because you missed a few mortgage repayments?

Aren't you supposed to pay your mortgage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

:D

Anti drugs high horse mounters are awesome!

they're called langers down there
    Langer is a term of endearment used in Cork only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Woah, this thread is too deep for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Unless hes growing/cooking it up himself and not cutting it with crap then yes. Lots of people like drugs, drugs have to come from somewhere. But anyone cutting it with crap etc is a scumbag as their possibly poisoning you WITHOUT your consent and ripping you off, when you buy drugs you should be able to know their clean/ been properly made so the only risk is the drug itself, and in this case its up to you to know the risks and make an educated decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Hello everyone my name is Leo and I just wante.........

Someone whose name ends in 'o'.

WHAT THE ****

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

would of used to say the first but recently the real scumbags in society are someone with a D4 accent that takes away your home because you missed a few mortgage repayments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sorry, but anyone who says either of the OP's options... ain't being the brightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mr.Obvious

Unless hes growing/cooking it up himself and not cutting it with crap then yes. Lots of people like drugs, drugs have to come from somewhere. But anyone cutting it with crap etc is a scumbag as their possibly poisoning you WITHOUT your consent and ripping you off, when you buy drugs you should be able to know their clean/ been properly made so the only risk is the drug itself, and in this case its up to you to know the risks and make an educated decision

He's not a dealer, just a friend who can get me weed. He's not making a profit or anything, but the quoted poster said ANYONE who sells drugs.

I'm sure most of the stoners on this site have acted as a middle-man to one or two of their friends at some point in their smoking career, even if only once.
    With Irish hypocrisy being the way it is, i wouldn't be suprised if some of them found themselves agreeing with that point, not realising it included themselves :rolleyes:.
    twinytwo wrote: »
    I think he is yes
    Bandit12 wrote: »
    He sells you drugs and you call him a friend? Oh and yes he is a scumbag.

Are you saying that everyone who sold alcohol in the usa under prohibition was a scumbag?

I'm sure an awful lot were, but every single last one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

someone hit the nail on the head back there, havent read thru the whole thread.

people seem to not differentiate between 'scanger' and 'scumbag'

scanger is more a style/peer pressure influenced

a good few months ago I was on the Luas to Heuston. 2 'scangers' got on with their cans.

tracksuits, check
    dutch gold, check
    skinny, check.

The guy was pretty drunk and eating chips. he kept stumbling around, he got to a seat and kept dropping chips untill they all fell on the ground. luas was stopping, he tried to pick them all up and appolgised to people beside him and his girlfriend was tellin him to leave it and get off.

sure hes prob gettin free money and is a drunk, but he might not be a bad person as far as disrespecting people in his company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

irishmatic wrote: »
    i am from a working class background, wear tracksuits,have tattoos

:eek: Skanger alert! Sketch! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Dudess wrote: »
    Sorry, but anyone who says either of the OP's options... ain't being the brightest.

hmmm, how should I deconstruct this evaluation of my question..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Dave! wrote: »
    Woah, this thread is too deep for me

Ah come on dave... it's fun :)

IMO, a skanger is fine... it's just how they look and act, how they talk and the likes, doesn't mean they are bad people.

When I was about 15, 16, I drank cans of dutch gold in bushy park, smoked hash and wore the peak cap high on my head, wore tracksuits and rebok runners (I never had a scanda jacket though). I did work and I didn't commit any serious crimes, didn't rob people, break into houses, rob cars, deal drugs or stab anybody. Never in trouble with the police, never had any real trouble actually.

I guess the term "scumbag" can cover a lot of people, sex offenders, murderers, politicians, doctors, lawyers. People who have a high status in society, anybody really. Anybody can be a scumbag, and it is all relative. What I might think is a scumbag, you may not. I would consider a scumbag to be someone who makes an act against a person that is not deemed acceptable. Someone who will do something against you to better themselves by means that may or may not be legal.

George bush Jr and Snr are scumbags, so is pat kenny. That's my opinion though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

George bush Jr and Snr are scumbags, so is pat kenny. That's my opinion though...

Not that I would ever defend Pat Kenny, but what has he done to merit the term scum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

IMO A scumbag is someone with no respect for other people or society in general, I don't think it's anything to do 'class', how much money they have or how they dress. I've met sound lads dressed in tracksuits and peaked caps, and I've met absolute c**ts dressed in suits.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Are Scumbags sentient?

i mean, are they aware that they exist?

do they think, feel, hate, love, desire etc.

It's easy to say yeah, "they hate a lot of things" but is it normal hate?

It seems to me that they just prowl around on base instinct.
    They just aim to satisfy an urge to getting completely wasted.

They did a study where rats were taught that by pressing a button they stimulate the pleasure centres of their brains. Eventally they stopped eating to go for this button and died of hunger.

I think scumbags are the same. They're soulless, conscience-less lifeforms and I always feels insulted when they are afforded the same right as normal folk - the same vote, the same everything. Think about it. That scumbag jumping ****ers in the park's vote counts the same as a University professor!

There's something that went seriously wrong in evolution and I don't know why.

In fact, the main reason I'm an atheist is because of scumbags. There's no way whatsoever that humans are "created in God's image" when you see these mindless c*nts walking around. Humans are divine? my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishmatic

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :eek: Skanger alert! Sketch! :pac:

fuk u bitch lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A used condom

That is actually where the phrase originates from.

When I was young scumbag was used more for a pervert or "dirty bastard" or doing a filthy act, like eating snot, or picking food up off the ground & eating it. The young antisocial lads were called knackers, and for a time "fleck" was a very popular term, never hear it now.

Advertisement