Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room question

Options
  • 11-08-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Have bought a place, am thinking about renting a room but have a few questions, hopefully theres someone out there who has been here before. . .

As I will be away a bit with work and going home, is it unusual to ask for a deposit (in addition to a months rent in advance). I'm hoping to get someone quiet but I guess you can't tell, am just worried as I wont always be there at weekends etc, that should anything happen without a deposit i'd be screwed.

Presume its not normal to have a lease in this situation, just have it a month at a time and either party can give notice at any stage?

Do I have to register with the PRTB if I hold a lease, I looked and it appears to be only if you are not living there?

As the income will be under 10k pa I will be able to avail of Revenues 'rent a room scheme' so I presume its OK for the tenent to claim rent relief OK?

I've looked around and can't find the answers to the above, any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

heinoman wrote: »
    Have bought a place, am thinking about renting a room but have a few questions, hopefully theres someone out there who has been here before. . .

As I will be away a bit with work and going home, is it unusual to ask for a deposit (in addition to a months rent in advance). I'm hoping to get someone quiet but I guess you can't tell, am just worried as I wont always be there at weekends etc, that should anything happen without a deposit i'd be screwed.

Yes- in an Irish context its unusual to ask for more than month's rent as a deposit. On the continent and in the US- its entirely normal.

Personally I think its crazy to use the rent-a-room scheme- if you're going to be away from the property for protracted periods of time. You can draw up a 'contract' where they agree to keep their room tidy, turn off the immersion heater after use- general housekeeping stuff- but if you're not going to be around to keep an eye on things- anything at all could happen.

If I had my personal choice of room mates- I'd pop a sign up in the staff room in a local hospital offering the room to a junior doctor (not nurse)- as they are exhausted from their ridiculous hours and likely to be some of the quietest roommates on the planet (most of the time).
    Presume its not normal to have a lease in this situation, just have it a month at a time and either party can give notice at any stage?

Correct. The person is living with you 'under licence' and does not have the rights a normal tenancy would entail. By giving them a 'lease' you are giving them a load of rights they have no entitlement to. You can actually ask them to leave at any stage at all, without reason or notice- it is your own home after all.
    Do I have to register with the PRTB if I hold a lease, I looked and it appears to be only if you are not living there?

No- you do not have to register with the PRTB. It is not a tenancy- and the PRTB will not intercede in a rent-a-room dispute, were one to arise.
    As the income will be under 10k pa I will be able to avail of Revenues 'rent a room scheme' so I presume its OK for the tenent to claim rent relief OK?

The income- has to include all billshares etc- its not just the headline rent- but once the gross amount is under 10k- it is indeed tax free. You are obliged to do an annual tax return declaring the income however (you may be pleasantly surprised with a rebate from overpaid tax or undeclared credits- as a PAYE employee!)
    I've looked around and can't find the answers to the above, any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks.

If you have any questions at all- feel free to ask away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 heinoman

Thanks so much for the very helpful reply.

Advertisement