Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

political practicality,what could be closed/sold tomorrow

• 11-08-2009 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

I would start with
    farmleigh
    jennie johnston boat
    the ark cultural centre for children
    women's council
    every embassy outside of europe and the US
    photography centre in temple bar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Can we start by cutting TD salarys and expenses and move from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Random wrote: »
    Can we start by cutting TD salarys and expenses and move from there?

Cut number of TDs also...what the hell do we need them all for. And as for the senate....

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Just put a closed sign on all entry points to the country, as we are all buggered.:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Army Equitation School, Electronic Voting machine storage (just send em to India to be recycled), government jet, all grants to overseas groups (expat Irish immigrant groups etc), of cours all these suggestions would hardly pay for a typical John Donohue overseas jaunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Slash dole, privatise healthcare, fire 90% of Public service pen-pushers, reduce number of TDs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Just put a closed sign on all entry points to the country, as we are all buggered.:eek::eek::eek:

that's the spirit:pac:

jennie johnston boat

Think the Labour Party might demur, wasn't that Dick's multi million pound gift to the tradesmen of North Kerry?

I'd say if you couldn't sink it now, the sea would reject it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I would start with
    farmleigh
    jennie johnston boat
    the ark cultural centre for children
    women's council
    every embassy outside of europe and the US
    photography centre in temple bar
    That's small potatoes. You sell off the roads, rail, buses, water, airports, electricity network, health service, RTE, schools, universities, banks. You close arts, sports, Gaeltacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

actually the army equestrian school would move to the top of the close now list,

and a lot of other army projects especially chad

Minister O'Dea has it in the Dail registrar of interests (true, check it) that he has mining investments in Africa, I suppose it would only help business if our expensive militia could keep fuss to a minimum in the area of his investments

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

i was in one of our pointless embassies in south america, the chap/consul/ambassador well in cute hoor was running a mail order business from the space rented by our state,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

i was in one of our pointless embassies in south america, the chap/consul/ambassador well in cute hoor was running a mail order business from the space rented by our state,

Really? I would let the Dept of Forgien Affairs know.

Have you told them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'd kinda agree with the embassy/consulate closure thing.

AFAIK, when Irish people are in dire straits in countries where we dont an embassy presence the British embassy have provided assistance.

Perhaps closing them and making an agreement with the UK gov for urgent assistance for our citizens might be usefull?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

I'd kinda agree with the embassy/consulate closure thing.

AFAIK, when Irish people are in dire straits in countries where we dont an embassy presence the British embassy have provided assistance.

Perhaps closing them and making an agreement with the UK gov for urgent assistance for our citizens might be usefull?

why don't we just shut up shop altogether and sell our sovereignty to the highest bidder, that should raise some cash....

not content with underfunding our only means of ensuring our neutrality i.e. the Defence Forces, lets just go the whole hog and close the foreign affairs department and let it be run from a desk in whitehall. or brussels,berlin,wherever will take us...

next we could sell the scraps of our national pride and dignity, who needs an international presence anyway, we're only little and sure we're great craic altogether....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

narwog81 wrote: »
    why don't we just shut up shop altogether and sell our sovereignty to the highest bidder, that should raise some cash....

not content with underfunding our only means to ensuring our neutrality i.e. the Defence Forces, lets just go the whole hog and close the foreign affairs department and let it be run from a desk in whitehall. or brussels,berlin,wherever will take us...

next we could sell the scraps of our national pride and dignity, who needs an international presence anyway, we're only little and sure we're great craic altogether....

Thats the spirit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

That's small potatoes. You sell off the roads, rail, buses, water, airports, electricity network, health service, RTE, schools, universities, banks. You close arts, sports, Gaeltacht.

So we can have to pay tolls everywhere we go?

So we can have no bus services servicing rural parts of Ireland that private bus companies wouldn't touch with a barge pole?

So we can have to pay exhorbitant prices for the most important commodity in life?

Sell our main airport so that the new owners can have a monopoly in the capital and increase passenger charges steadily?

Give up the thing that lights our country?

Health- what about those on welfare. How do they fit in?

RTE?! - So an individual can have control over what we see in the news and which adverts are shown on television á la Berlusconi's Italy?

I could go on but there's a valid reason to NOT do each of the things you suggest.

Some services and goods need to stay in government control.

Personally, social welfare, namely Unemployment benefit and assistance need to come down drastically.

But I would concentrate on those who have been signing on the longest. Cut theirs the most, because if you couldn't get a job in Ireland 4 or 5 years ago, you didn't want a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

kraggy wrote: »
    Sell our main airport so that the new owners can have a monopoly in the capital and increase passenger charges steadily?
    Fianna Fail doesn't care about job losses in Dublin, its votes comes from the morally superior, 'rural Ireland'. So, selling off Dublin Airport makes perfect sense for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Sell NAMA(to the lowest bidder!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

kraggy wrote: »
    So we can have to pay tolls everywhere we go?

So we can have no bus services servicing rural parts of Ireland that private bus companies wouldn't touch with a barge pole?

So we can have to pay exhorbitant prices for the most important commodity in life?

Give up the thing that lights our country?

Health- what about those on welfare. How do they fit in?

RTE?! - So an individual can have control over what we see in the news and which adverts are shown on television á la Berlusconi's Italy?

I could go on but there's a valid reason to NOT do each of the things you suggest.

Some services and goods need to stay in government control.

Personally, social welfare, namely Unemployment benefit and assistance need to come down drastically.

But I would concentrate on those who have been signing on the longest. Cut theirs the most, because if you couldn't get a job in Ireland 4 or 5 years ago, you didn't want a job.

as i explained on other posts , with the level of wellfare we have in this country , thier is no reason anyone shouldnt be able to afford health insurance , im single and my health insurance with quinn is 700 quid a year , for a husband and wife with four kids , its around 2500 and thier is a generous tax write off , even for those on wellfare , thats only 50 quid a week , most smokers spend that each week on fags

you havent given one valid reason if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

irish_bob wrote: »
    as i explained on other posts , with the level of wellfare we have in this country , thier is no reason anyone shouldnt be able to afford health insurance , im single and my health insurance with quinn is 700 quid a year , for a husband and wife with four kids , its around 2500 and thier is a generous tax write off , even for those on wellfare , thats only 50 quid a week , most smokers spend that each week on fags

You say you are single,well in that case if you have the misfortune to become unemployed your weekly benifit would be e204(who knows what after December budget?)

even for people on social welfare you say e50 is affordable?i.e a quater of your income before ANY other outgoings,catch a grip!!!!!

P.S do you know the receipe for turning water into wine?

• Advertisement

ynotdu wrote: »
    You say you are single,well in that case if you have the misfortune to become unemployed your weekly benifit would be e204(who knows what after December budget?)

even for people on social welfare you say e50 is affordable?i.e a quater of your income before ANY other outgoings,catch a grip!!!!!

P.S do you know the receipe for turning water into wine?

so you think its impossible to find 50 euro a week out of 204 , thier are many on the dole who go to the chipper a few nights a week , have sky sports , as i said earlier , smoke like a train , surely theese things would come to 50 quid a week and are less important than having health insurance , whats so miracolous about that

it would be impossible in northern ireland to afford health insurance but thier dole is a third of ours which is why those on the dole here should be able to afford health insurance in an enviroment where thier existed a functioning health care system , right now , someone would be crazy to have health insurance while on the dole as they get a medical card under the present system and besides , having health insurance offers you little advantage under the present mish mash bastardised system we have in place

what i would like is if we had private hospitals free of political interferance and all that that entails , not being able to fire surplus to requirments due to union uproar or for the simple reason of local politicans loosing votes from the sacked persons family , the present system costs a fortune and increased spending has delivered no improovement other than for the bank accounts of the nurses , doctors and beauracrats plus the politicans who benefit from the votes of theese health workers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Fianna Fail doesn't care about job losses in Dublin, its votes comes from the morally superior, 'rural Ireland'. So, selling off Dublin Airport makes perfect sense for them

That's bull**** for a start.....FF shafted Shannon when Aer Fungus decided to abandon it.....despite being a major shareholder for just such an eventuality, they washed their hands of it and said that they "couldn't interfere with a commercial decision"...

Much the same as they're doing now - having "interfered" with the banking system using our cash, they now "can't interfere" with the "commercial decision" to raise interest rates.

Plus, throw in the fact that Dublin was where the scheister B-B-Bertie was fawned on as if he was a saint instead of a Haughey clone, and you could blame "de Dubs" for half of our woes.

So the first thing I'd close would be Leinster House.....the country would work better without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freedom of info

dole payments 204 euro, rent minimum 24 euro, esb, food, car or public transport,? what would you like, all of us to go out and graze,

my weekly expenditure.
    rent inclusive of all household bills 100 euro, entertainment for 2 young kids at weekends 60 euro, public transport 10euro, repayments on a failed business loan 25 euro, ( by special arrangement) it will take 30 years to pay off, 1 pack of cheapo rolly tobacco 8 euro,

people like you live with your heads firmly rammed up your own ring pieces, try living on the scratch before you make uneducated bull sh!t arguments,

dole payments 204 euro, rent minimum 24 euro, esb, food, car or public transport,? what would you like, all of us to go out and graze,

my weekly expenditure.
    rent inclusive of all household bills 100 euro, entertainment for 2 young kids at weekends 60 euro, public transport 10euro, repayments on a failed business loan 25 euro, ( by special arrangement) it will take 30 years to pay off, 1 pack of cheapo rolly tobacco 8 euro,

people like you live with your heads firmly rammed up your own ring pieces, try living on the scratch before you make uneducated bull sh!t arguments,

your spending 60 euro a week on kids entertainment , what are you doing , bringing them to the cinema several times a week , if your on the dole , the dole isnt for paying off debt or for financing peoples nicotine addiction , oh and regarding your claim that my post is uneducated bull**** , dont confuse opinion with fact , thiers a good lad

your spending 60 euro a week on kids entertainment , what are you doing , bringing them to the cinema several times a week , if your on the dole , the dole isnt for paying off debt or for financing peoples nicotine addiction , oh and regarding your claim that my post is uneducated bull**** , dont confuse opinion with fact , thiers a good lad

you obviously dont have kids, when bankrupt you dont have other options, i used to smoke a 100 superkings a day, 1 pack of rolled tobacco is a major improvement, try living in the real world, if ub is cut as you suggest, what happens is this, people use loan sharks, crime goes up, suicide rates go up, what would you like 419000 peoplesitting on o'connell bridge with a polystryrene cup begging for alms, i paid my taxes for 28 years, from the day i left school, why shouldnt i claim a reasonable few bob, and yes your claim is uneducated bull****, if you were forced to live on it you wouldnt talk such crap, maybe with luck, unemployment will befall you

also, for 3 tickets to the cinema costs 21 euro, followed by the crap fast food costs an extra 15 euro, try entertaining kids for less, now why dont you be a good lad.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

also, for 3 tickets to the cinema costs 21 euro, followed by the crap fast food costs an extra 15 euro, try entertaining kids for less, now why dont you be a good lad.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    A DVD in Xtra Vision costs less than a fiver and a pizza in Aldi is less than €2.

Cop the **** on!

ninty9er wrote: »
    A DVD in Xtra Vision costs less than a fiver and a pizza in Aldi is less than €2.

Cop the **** on!

kids get bored in a gaff, neither kids will eat pizza, nor do they eat road kill, this is their one and only treat.

expecting the poorest in society to pay for the cushy lives of others who ruined this country isnothing short of disgusting, most of us are not milking the system, i claim for nothing else, including the course i finished in may, nor medical card, nor rent allowance.

the true freeloaders are the rich who pay less than 5% tax, courtesy of great accountants, a self serving govt, a crap civil service, so go kiss my hairy a
    e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

kids get bored in a gaff, neither kids will eat pizza, nor do they eat road kill, this is their one and only treat.
    I'm a child of the early 90s...the cinema was something that came once every 6 months...and my parents both worked. Treats don't come weekly they come once in a blue moon. Your lifestyle is not the responsibility of the state.

I don't really give a **** if your kids get bored...they'll just have to deal with it like kids did in the past. I became immune to the phrase "use your imagination" around 1995...maybe the kids of today could gain a lot if they didn't have more than 4 channels, a sega megadrive with 2 games (I was lucky to have it), and lego.

You forget to mention children's allowance which is €38 a week per kid for the first 2 and €47 per child thereafter. So with 2 kids that's €282, plus the €13 increase in the dole per child, so with 2 kids that's a total of €308. Not a whole lot, but more than enough to get by on.

The poorest in society aren't paying for anything, nevermind anyone else's lifestyle.

• Advertisement

you obviously dont have kids, when bankrupt you dont have other options, i used to smoke a 100 superkings a day, 1 pack of rolled tobacco is a major improvement, try living in the real world, if ub is cut as you suggest, what happens is this, people use loan sharks, crime goes up, suicide rates go up, what would you like 419000 peoplesitting on o'connell bridge with a polystryrene cup begging for alms, i paid my taxes for 28 years, from the day i left school, why shouldnt i claim a reasonable few bob, and yes your claim is uneducated bull****, if you were forced to live on it you wouldnt talk such crap, maybe with luck, unemployment will befall you

im not interested in the nonsensical rantings of some malcontent

ps

are you jamess kimble byrne

Advertisement