Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

political practicality,what could be closed/sold tomorrow

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'm a child of the early 90s...the cinema was something that came once every 6 months...and my parents both worked. Treats don't come weekly they come once in a blue moon. Your lifestyle is not the responsibility of the state.

I don't really give a **** if your kids get bored...they'll just have to deal with it like kids did in the past. I became immune to the phrase "use your imagination" around 1995...maybe the kids of today could gain a lot if they didn't have more than 4 channels, a sega megadrive with 2 games (I was lucky to have it), and lego.

You forget to mention children's allowance which is €38 a week per kid for the first 2 and €47 per child thereafter. So with 2 kids that's €282, plus the €13 increase in the dole per child, so with 2 kids that's a total of €308. Not a whole lot, but more than enough to get by on.

The poorest in society aren't paying for anything, nevermind anyone else's lifestyle.

too right and if they can afford to go to the cinema every week , thier not really poor , just OFFICALY VULNERABLE

• Registered Users Posts: 10 danfoley

I'd kinda agree with the embassy/consulate closure thing.

AFAIK, when Irish people are in dire straits in countries where we dont an embassy presence the British embassy have provided assistance.

Perhaps closing them and making an agreement with the UK gov for urgent assistance for our citizens might be usefull?

To be fair Ireland's foreign service is relatively modest. Most of the embassies are genuinely needed and do a lot more than just assisting Irish backpackers.

Could probably close a few more embassies (South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia) but I'd keep the rest.

Actually Martin did announce he's closing the Welsh consulate a few months back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

TBH I really think that the Utitilies and bare necessities need to stay in government ownership. Companies like ESB, Bord Gáis etc. should be kept in state ownership because they are highly profitable and pay good dividends. Sure, selling them off now would mean a big injection of cash into State coffers, but what happens when we're out of recession and back to normal? We'll have to find more ways to plug the hole that State companies fill. In 2007, ESB paid €127m in dividends to the government and I believe the ESB has never gone to the government for money so why sell it?

Water, Electricity supply, Gas supply etc. should remain in government hands as much as possible. As for healthcare, it should never be privatised. Do people really want to follow the American model where the dollar is paramount and is valued higher than someone's health?

The government will find savings in cutting some fat off the public sector and some other expenses. The dole needs to be cut in line with deflation. Prices fell 2% this month. That figure is excluding interest rates so social welfare should be cut accordingly. Maybe apply cuts to anyone on social welfare for more than 6 months? If they want to receive the same amount of Welfare after 6 months then they have to do a certain amount of community service each week.

TBH I really think that the Utitilies and bare necessities need to stay in government ownership. Companies like ESB, Bord Gáis etc. should be kept in state ownership because they are highly profitable and pay good dividends. Sure, selling them off now would mean a big injection of cash into State coffers, but what happens when we're out of recession and back to normal? We'll have to find more ways to plug the hole that State companies fill. In 2007, ESB paid €127m in dividends to the government and I believe the ESB has never gone to the government for money so why sell it?

Water, Electricity supply, Gas supply etc. should remain in government hands as much as possible. As for healthcare, it should never be privatised. Do people really want to follow the American model where the dollar is paramount and is valued higher than someone's health?

The government will find savings in cutting some fat off the public sector and some other expenses. The dole needs to be cut in line with deflation. Prices fell 2% this month. That figure is excluding interest rates so social welfare should be cut accordingly. Maybe apply cuts to anyone on social welfare for more than 6 months? If they want to receive the same amount of Welfare after 6 months then they have to do a certain amount of community service each week.

why would the esb need to go begging to the goverment when they can beggar the people instead to pay thier employees on average 90 k per year , we have the highest electricity costs in europe in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

kids get bored in a gaff, neither kids will eat pizza, nor do they eat road kill, this is their one and only treat.

expecting the poorest in society to pay for the cushy lives of others who ruined this country isnothing short of disgusting, most of us are not milking the system, i claim for nothing else, including the course i finished in may, nor medical card, nor rent allowance.

the true freeloaders are the rich who pay less than 5% tax, courtesy of great accountants, a self serving govt, a crap civil service, so go kiss my hairy a
    e

Just go to the Pirate Bay and get all the free cinema movie you want. You obviously have a computer. Sit the kids down at the screen and you could watch 10 movies in a weekend. That'd keep them occupied and it's free.

• Advertisement

irish_bob wrote: »
    why would the esb need to go begging to the goverment when they can beggar the people instead to pay thier employees on average 90 k per year , we have the highest electricity costs in europe in this country
    And that's why it's great that Bord Gáis entered the electricity market. We'll have competition between 2 state-owned companies.

And that's why it's great that Bord Gáis entered the electricity market. We'll have competition between 2 state-owned companies.

i myself have taken lucy kennedys advice and switched to bord gais , ive barely noticed the difference in price

i myself have taken lucy kennedys advice and switched to bord gais , ive barely noticed the difference in price
    Well the difference is there. And didn't Bord Gáis' entry into the electricity market prompt ESB to lower their electricity prices by 10% in May which technically led to upto 24% of electricity prices for those who moved to BGE.

Be patient. It's been what..4? 5 months since BGE entered the electricity market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freedom of info

I'm a child of the early 90s...the cinema was something that came once every 6 months...and my parents both worked. Treats don't come weekly they come once in a blue moon. Your lifestyle is not the responsibility of the state.

I don't really give a **** if your kids get bored...they'll just have to deal with it like kids did in the past. I became immune to the phrase "use your imagination" around 1995...maybe the kids of today could gain a lot if they didn't have more than 4 channels, a sega megadrive with 2 games (I was lucky to have it), and lego.

You forget to mention children's allowance which is €38 a week per kid for the first 2 and €47 per child thereafter. So with 2 kids that's €282, plus the €13 increase in the dole per child, so with 2 kids that's a total of €308. Not a whole lot, but more than enough to get by on.

The poorest in society aren't paying for anything, nevermind anyone else's lifestyle.

you assume i have my kids all week, i have them for weekends only, their mother receives all other allowances for them, and again i workedfor 28years paid all my taxes now that im unemployed why shouldnt i receive a deal, im also diabetic, i dont claimany allowances for that,

there are those who claim for everything, im not one, i did a year long course, of which i could have claimed an allowance of up to 3000 i didnt claim, i receive a total of 204.30 per week, nothing else, and i am eternally grateful to receive it.

if cuts are to made in social welfare, then start by cutting payments to all non eu citizens, then pay social welfare at the same levels paid in all other eu countries to their citizens, abolish rent allowance, for all non irish people, problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

you assume i have my kids all week, i have them for weekends only, their mother receives all other allowances for them, and again i workedfor 28years paid all my taxes now that im unemployed why shouldnt i receive a deal, im also diabetic, i dont claimany allowances for that,

there are those who claim for everything, im not one, i did a year long course, of which i could have claimed an allowance of up to 3000 i didnt claim, i receive a total of 204.30 per week, nothing else, and i am eternally grateful to receive it.

if cuts are to made in social welfare, then start by cutting payments to all non eu citizens, then pay social welfare at the same levels paid in all other eu countries to their citizens, abolish rent allowance, for all non irish people, problem solved

You should claim everything you are entitled to, I have no problem with that and I think Irish people need to wise up and swallow their pride. In fairness, those who have been working like you have paid for it, but the rate for the dole is simply unsustainable. Whether you have your kids during the week or not is irrelevant, the fact is you can't afford to take them to the cinema, you will be able to when you find work again, in the meantime, you and they will just have to make do with DVDs and supermarket food.

If their mother isn't on the dole you should also be claiming an allowance for each child on your dole payment. You should thank your lucky stars you're getting the full rate, my mother will be waiting until November fot her €160 per week, and no that's not means tested, it's based on her income for the last 3 years, and she's not entitled to claim anything in the meantime. Fair enough her redundancy will just about tide her over til November and my parents didn't overstretch themselves so they can cover the mortgage on one income.

Nobody is going to thank you for not claiming all you're entitled to, but there's no point claiming the €204 isn't enough, when clearly it's bankrupting the state. It's not a one off cost like a recapitalisation, it's infinite and it costing more each year than the banks ever will.

• Advertisement

You should claim everything you are entitled to, I have no problem with that and I think Irish people need to wise up and swallow their pride. In fairness, those who have been working like you have paid for it, but the rate for the dole is simply unsustainable. Whether you have your kids during the week or not is irrelevant, the fact is you can't afford to take them to the cinema, you will be able to when you find work again, in the meantime, you and they will just have to make do with DVDs and supermarket food.

If their mother isn't on the dole you should also be claiming an allowance for each child on your dole payment. You should thank your lucky stars you're getting the full rate, my mother will be waiting until November fot her €160 per week, and no that's not means tested, it's based on her income for the last 3 years, and she's not entitled to claim anything in the meantime. Fair enough her redundancy will just about tide her over til November and my parents didn't overstretch themselves so they can cover the mortgage on one income.

Nobody is going to thank you for not claiming all you're entitled to, but there's no point claiming the €204 isn't enough, when clearly it's bankrupting the state. It's not a one off cost like a recapitalisation, it's infinite and it costing more each year than the banks ever will.

thank you for reasoned comment, i was beginning to think this was a forum for the friends of fianna fail.

the unfortunate thing about this is my kids will pay the price for our fcuked up country well into adulthood, what most people on this forum dont get is most people on the dole would rather be working, unfortunately the freeloaders in society ( those who wouldnt scratch themselves to keep warm) have ruined the concept of a fair and equal society.

i intend to set up another business as soon as i finish the next level of my course, (horticulture) which i would recommend to anyone, i used to be a van courier, of which the costs exceeded the income limits and got steadily worse, granted, i made a lot of mistakes starting out, i bought a sh!t franchise, a new van,i ran the business with honesty and paid my bills on time, i learned some valuable lessons.

looking at things simply, any future boom will be built on small business not multi nationals, get the unemployed back into a working set up not by cutting the dole but by allowing them to set up small businesses, with as much help and support as is required, that could take the form of mentoring by established successful business people, and i dont mean the super rich, taxes need to be fair all round.

rather than giving multi nationals tax breaks, give those breaks to our own, the myth that we are not competitive needs to be put to bed once and for all, reward those that do the work, cut rates, cut the civil service by 1/3 cut the sheer waste by govt reduce their numbers, tax those who have all the money, the excuse that these guys use is they are not resident, they make their money here pay tax, i could go on all day so i'll stop at that point

thank you for reasoned comment, i was beginning to think this was a forum for the friends of fianna fail.

the unfortunate thing about this is my kids will pay the price for our fcuked up country well into adulthood, what most people on this forum dont get is most people on the dole would rather be working, unfortunately the freeloaders in society ( those who wouldnt scratch themselves to keep warm) have ruined the concept of a fair and equal society.

i intend to set up another business as soon as i finish the next level of my course, (horticulture) which i would recommend to anyone, i used to be a van courier, of which the costs exceeded the income limits and got steadily worse, granted, i made a lot of mistakes starting out, i bought a sh!t franchise, a new van,i ran the business with honesty and paid my bills on time, i learned some valuable lessons.

looking at things simply, any future boom will be built on small business not multi nationals, get the unemployed back into a working set up not by cutting the dole but by allowing them to set up small businesses, with as much help and support as is required, that could take the form of mentoring by established successful business people, and i dont mean the super rich, taxes need to be fair all round.

rather than giving multi nationals tax breaks, give those breaks to our own, the myth that we are not competitive needs to be put to bed once and for all, reward those that do the work, cut rates, cut the civil service by 1/3 cut the sheer waste by govt reduce their numbers, tax those who have all the money, the excuse that these guys use is they are not resident, they make their money here pay tax, i could go on all day so i'll stop at that point

fianna fail are those on social wellfares best pal , because fianna fail threw money at everyone one from public servants to those on wellfare , the country is the way it is , that is the reason this country is sufferring more in this global rescession than any other country , we spent too much when we were workin that we couldnt afford to be unemployed

fianna fail are those on social wellfares best pal , because fianna fail threw money at everyone one from public servants to those on wellfare , the country is the way it is , that is the reason this country is sufferring more in this global rescession than any other country , we spent too much when we were workin that we couldnt afford to be unemployed

true to a large degree, they also threw vast amounts of money at their cronies the speculator and developer, no questions asked, they spent a fortune on idiotic tribunals, of which no good will come from it, massive bonuses to the likes of brendan drumm,

this global recession could have been tempered had they invested in infrastructure and sought value for money, the state coffers would not have dried up so quickly what annoys me is those who got the greatest gains should take the lions share of the responsibility are still being looked after and protected, while those unemployed and on low wages are been asked to share the burden disproportunately.

we are told that the cost of living has fallen by 5.9%, most of which is the price of clothes, cars and houses,( both sales and rentals) deduct that and the real cost of living has fallen below 3%. i dont know anyone on the dole buying cars or houses.

if we do manage to pull out of recession, then must not make the same mistakes again, some method of price controls must be found, or an excessive profits tax, when a cup of coffee and a sandwich costs nearly a tenner questions should be asked

cheers

true to a large degree, they also threw vast amounts of money at their cronies the speculator and developer, no questions asked, they spent a fortune on idiotic tribunals, of which no good will come from it, massive bonuses to the likes of brendan drumm,

this global recession could have been tempered had they invested in infrastructure and sought value for money, the state coffers would not have dried up so quickly what annoys me is those who got the greatest gains should take the lions share of the responsibility are still being looked after and protected, while those unemployed and on low wages are been asked to share the burden disproportunately.

we are told that the cost of living has fallen by 5.9%, most of which is the price of clothes, cars and houses,( both sales and rentals) deduct that and the real cost of living has fallen below 3%. i dont know anyone on the dole buying cars or houses.

basic consumer items are expensive in this country because wages and wellfare are both high , when they both drop so will the price of goods , why , because merchants have to keep thier merchandise at a price which is within thier customers purchasing power
    if we do manage to pull out of recession, then must not make the same mistakes again, some method of price controls must be found, or an excessive profits tax, when a cup of coffee and a sandwich costs nearly a tenner questions should be asked

cheers

basic consumer items are expensive in this country because wages and wellfare are both high , when they both drop so will the price of goods , why , because merchants have to keep thier merchandise at a price which is within thier customers purchasing power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Fianna Fail doesn't care about job losses in Dublin, its votes comes from the morally superior, 'rural Ireland'. So, selling off Dublin Airport makes perfect sense for them

It wouldn't make sense for them if they want this country to go down the swanny even more. Giving over control of the main airport in the country, and the only airport in the capital would be a irresponsible manoeuvre.

as i explained on other posts , with the level of wellfare we have in this country , thier is no reason anyone shouldnt be able to afford health insurance , im single and my health insurance with quinn is 700 quid a year , for a husband and wife with four kids , its around 2500 and thier is a generous tax write off , even for those on wellfare , thats only 50 quid a week , most smokers spend that each week on fags

you havent given one valid reason if you ask me

Valid reason for what exactly? For privatising healthcare?

If that's the case, and you suggest people should be able to pay for healthcare out of their welfare, then that further cements my argument that welfare should be reduced.

It is far too high. It is providing no incentive to work. It is contributing to crime and to people working jobs unofficially and not paying income tax.

Welfare is not there to pay for all of a person's lifestyle choices. It is not there to pay for trips to the cinema. It is not there to pay for cigarettes. It is not there to pay for nights out.

But unfortunately, it is so high in this country that people choose to spend it on such extravagances.

And it is not there to pay for private healthcare. If a person can manage their money and pay for it, then good and well.

But the level of welfare should not be maintained at a higher than European average to facilitate payment of healthcare.

wages and sw are high because prices are so high, take a cup of coffee, average retail price approx 2.80, here because of the high cost of rates insurance and way over the top profit margins, or the jewellry trade, a piece of low cost jewelry has a profit margin of up to 600% these two areas of employment can never be accused of over paying their staff.

realistically in the boom, directors and shareholders of plcs received huge bonuses and wages, the civil service got benchmarking, of which the lower levels got modest increases while the top got massive increases, surely in a time of doom and gloom those who have had the most benefit should be shouldering the lions share of the cuts.

also why should a multi millionaire receive a medical card? and why should his family receive a free education? while he can avoid paying his fair share of tax.

the real big fish pay no income tax at all, most of them avoid tax by not being resident in the country, what im trying to convey is this if everyone paid their fair share then what real probllems do we have, hitting the weakest will solve nothing, dont get me wrong i have no problem with anyone making a stack of money, but i do have a problem if they made that money on the backs of their staff, while claiming they cant afford to pay them a fair wage, a business is only as good as the people who work in it,

take henry ford snr, a difficult task master, but paid his well, they worked their arses off for him, or rockefella a notorius miser, only paid a ramsom for his grandson under duress, he also had the right idea with employees, reward those that do the work, a level of fairness has to be part of the equation, or we run the risk of a them or us attitude,

sorry for rambling

kraggy wrote: »
    It wouldn't make sense for them if they want this country to go down the swanny even more. Giving over control of the main airport in the country, and the only airport in the capital would be a irresponsible manoeuvre.

If that's the case, and you suggest people should be able to pay for healthcare out of their welfare, then that further cements my argument that welfare should be reduced.

It is far too high. It is providing no incentive to work. It is contributing to crime and to people working jobs unofficially and not paying income tax.

Welfare is not there to pay for all of a person's lifestyle choices. It is not there to pay for trips to the cinema. It is not there to pay for cigarettes. It is not there to pay for nights out.

But unfortunately, it is so high in this country that people choose to spend it on such extravagances.

And it is not there to pay for private healthcare. If a person can manage their money and pay for it, then good and well.

But the level of welfare should not be maintained at a higher than European average to facilitate payment of healthcare.

you obviously never signed on, a packet of cigs is sfa, to expect kids to have a truly miserable life shows the type you are, what is your annual salary do you have a gauranteed job for life does mummy tuck you in at night, keeping people in abject poverty to no comforts whatsoever will lead to crime rates never seen before, no incentive to work, what work ?there is fcuk all work out there, take a trip down to fas have a look, most people on the dole are not there out of choice, they are there out of neccesity , ask yourself, do you think anyone who loses their job is jumping for joy

you obviously never signed on, a packet of cigs is sfa, to expect kids to have a truly miserable life shows the type you are
    Bull****. Money doen't make life any less miserable for kids. If you want to go attacking people implying they are a type, then do it elsewhere. Attack the argument. It's not possible. Parks and playgrounds are free, nobody has defined a trip to the cinema or a dominos as the difference between a miserable childhood and a happy one.

Like I've already stated, your kids' entertainment is nobody's problem but your own. There is plenty to do that costs little or nothing. Sure their friends might have Nike while they have Dunnes, but imagine what that was like before Dunnes ever had any idea that clothes were supposed to be designed.

I have NEVER in my life paid €2.80 for a cup of coffee...the average price of a cup of coffee is about €2 not €2.80, and what the hell is someone on the dole doing buying coffee in café's in such large amounts that it becomes a burden.
    Wake up and smell the em...coffee!

Wages are not high because of prices, it is the other way around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

you obviously never signed on, a packet of cigs is sfa, to expect kids to have a truly miserable life shows the type you are, what is your annual salary do you have a gauranteed job for life does mummy tuck you in at night, keeping people in abject poverty to no comforts whatsoever will lead to crime rates never seen before, no incentive to work, what work ?there is fcuk all work out there, take a trip down to fas have a look, most people on the dole are not there out of choice, they are there out of neccesity , ask yourself, do you think anyone who loses their job is jumping for joy

Despite your reactive, immature post, I'll reply to it anyway.

Firstly, yes I have signed on. I know what it's like. I also know that I could have lived on less money than I was receiving.

Secondly, a pack of smokes on their own is only 4% of a weekly unemployment benefit payment (or in your own eloquent words "Sfa") but a pack a day each day for 7 days amounts to a not-so-sfa 30% of the weekly payment. I smoke myself, BUT WHY SHOULD THE GOVERNMENT PAY FOR MY HABIT?

Thirdly, who said anything about giving children a miserable life? I had damn all when I was a kid but I didn't turn to crime. I used my imagination, played soccer and hurling outside on the street with the neighbours. They didn't turn to crime either.

Also, no my mammy doesn't tuck me in at night. And no I don't have a guaranteed job for life. I'm not working at the moment actually. Not that it's any of your business.

And where exactly did I say that people should have no comforts whatsoever? Did I say that? No I didn't. Maybe if some people on the dole didn't spend 30% (or more) of their dole on cigarettes, maybe even more on booze/drugs/gambling, then said people would have more to spend on comforts for their children.

Regardless, the State is not here to provide gifts and good times for people who are unemployed. They are here to provide subsistence; financial help to pay for food, bills etc. Not to buy Beyonce a trip to Disneyland.

Yes, there are people struggling and most are not abusing the system. But Unemployment payments have to come down. And down they'll come. The cost of living is coming down and so should the dole.

And as I've said already, people on the dole for 3 years and more should be hit the most. They more than likely could have gained employment back then if they wanted to. It is having provided no incentive to work when there was plenty of work available that is part of the reason why our balance sheet is looking so atrocious right now.

I'll end by asking a question. How do you suppose people in other European countries manage when they receive unemployment benefit/assistance which in some cases is less than half of ours with a similar cost of living?

Bull****. Money doen't make life any less miserable for kids. If you want to go attacking people implying they are a type, then do it elsewhere. Attack the argument. It's not possible. Parks and playgrounds are free, nobody has defined a trip to the cinema or a dominos as the difference between a miserable childhood and a happy one.

Like I've already stated, your kids' entertainment is nobody's problem but your own. There is plenty to do that costs little or nothing. Sure their friends might have Nike while they have Dunnes, but imagine what that was like before Dunnes ever had any idea that clothes were supposed to be designed.

I have NEVER in my life paid €2.80 for a cup of coffee...the average price of a cup of coffee is about €2 not €2.80, and what the hell is someone on the dole doing buying coffee in café's in such large amounts that it becomes a burden.
    Wake up and smell the em...coffee!

Wages are not high because of prices, it is the other way around!

never said i bought coffee, i do look at prices, kids dont wear nikes either they wear dunnes or pennys, when i need clothes i shop in charity shops, surprised, i also gave up driving icouldnt afford it, the pc i use is a little acer aspire one, given to me as a birthday present, so please get the rose tinted glasses off, and the clothes in dunnes were better in the 80's, the only reason i have any quality oflife is because im frugal, i grow most of my veg as well, i also play football with my boy and as for playstations they might have one in their mothers, again i do not enjoy being on the dole, there is piss all work out there, what jobs that are out there, im not qualified to do, or physically be able to do

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »

you have to view my comments about paying for health insurance in the context of the discussion in hand , i think our wellfare is far too generous but if we are not going to cut it , why not let people on wellfare spend 50 quid a week on health insurance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

We could always close that complete waste of money that is Seanad Éireann, and in the process take €100,000 of taxpayers money from ranting raving idiots - yes, I am thinking of Eoghan Harris. It makes me sick to think of how he got there after a lifetime of contributing nothing to Irish society.

Then there are the legions of failed politicians - people who were directly rejected by the people - but who get appointed to a €100,000 per annum Seanad post after that. So much for the Seanad being "democratic".

There is no more pointless institution in the entire state of Ireland. The Seanad is utterly useless, a duplication of the committee system at best, at very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

you have to view my comments about paying for health insurance in the context of the discussion in hand , i think our wellfare is far too generous but if we are not going to cut it , why not let people on wellfare spend 50 quid a week on health insurance

basically that would have the state paying for private insurance for people, duplication of a public health system really

in any event 25% of ones income may be alright for some circumstances but hardly where a family is involved

Riskymove wrote: »
    basically that would have the state paying for private insurance for people, duplication of a public health system really

in any event 25% of ones income may be alright for some circumstances but hardly where a family is involved

i mean do away with our public health service , health insurance for a single person costs about 14 euro a week , as for familys , they get more than 204 a week , thier is childrens allowance and other benefits so it wouldnt be 25% of thier income going on health insurance

i mean do away with our public health service

I think you'll find that would result in a large increase in the cost of private health insurance

health insurance for a single person costs about 14 euro a week , as for familys , they get more than 204 a week , thier is childrens allowance and other benefits so it wouldnt be 25% of thier income going on health insurance

it would still be effectively the state funding private health insurance for people and would probably be used as an excuse to raise benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ask John O' Donoghue for all that money back....

Actually demand it back :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'm quite liking the previous posters about doing away with public health.

eg: My 2% "Health Levy" costs me €650 per anum

If I wish to use it I have to pay a lot
    My GP costs €50 for a few min visit. plus perscription costs as they arise.

If I'm an In-patient in my local hospital (god forbid, its Loughlinstown - shudder! :( ) I would still have to pay

vs:

Essential plus - No excess with Quinn would cost me: €715 per year.

With the 20% tax credit the net cost is: €572

From what I can see for me anyway its a no brainer.

Why dont i have private health insurance?
    because I dont get a choice in the taxes I pay

never said i bought coffee, i do look at prices, kids dont wear nikes either they wear dunnes or pennys, when i need clothes i shop in charity shops, surprised, i also gave up driving icouldnt afford it, the pc i use is a little acer aspire one, given to me as a birthday present, so please get the rose tinted glasses off, and the clothes in dunnes were better in the 80's, the only reason i have any quality oflife is because im frugal, i grow most of my veg as well, i also play football with my boy and as for playstations they might have one in their mothers, again i do not enjoy being on the dole, there is piss all work out there, what jobs that are out there, im not qualified to do, or physically be able to do
    My issue is that you see a problem with that, not that that's the way your life is. We all have our crosses to bear, build a bridge and get on with life. The more you worry about it and get agitated about it the more your quality of life will be hit.

We have to cut our cloth to fit. I've got a €4k expense this year I didn't have last year, it just means I've to cut €90 a week out of what I have to live on. I mightn't like it, but I have t live with it, get over it etc. The state isn't going to help me with it, nor would I expect it to. Be lucky you get the dole, claim all the other entitlements you have and you have now essentially be put on notice that the dole will be cut, so don't just complain about it, plan for it.

Riskymove wrote: »
    I think you'll find that would result in a large increase in the cost of private health insurance

it would still be effectively the state funding private health insurance for people and would probably be used as an excuse to raise benefits

i think thier is a third way between the NHS in the uk and the american system where the insurance companies are guilty of gouging , i see no problem with the state playing a role so as to ensure the insurance companies do not emulate whats happening in the usa , as i said , thier has to be a 3rd way

• Advertisement

i think thier is a third way between the NHS in the uk and the american system where the insurance companies are guilty of gouging , i see no problem with the state playing a role so as to ensure the insurance companies do not emulate whats happening in the usa , as i said , thier has to be a 3rd way

you might be interested in FG's proposal so, based on the Dutch Model

mandatory private health insurance, with some state subsidy

http://www.finegael.ie/campaign/index.cfm/type/details/nkey/115/pkey/1099

Advertisement