Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Original Xbox wireless question

• 11-08-2009 7:57pm

I found an official MS XBOX wireless adapter on eBay US. If I bought it would I require a transformer or would a regular adapter do? I know I can use any wireless ethernet bridge but since this one is rare....;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Its powered of USB not an AC adapter. As far as I know, there shouldn't be an issue with current.

You can get them here for about €60 now, they have dropped in price. If its really cheap on ebay might be worth the risk.

It comes with a power supply so I doubt its usb powered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

could someone please throw up a pic of one of these. can't seem to find one on google images and kinda curious to see it, thanks.

pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

cool thanks for the link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

From the looks of it, it seems to only support WEP. So I'd advise against it, on the power side it probably uses a wall wart transformer. They are usually make to support a full range of voltages, but if not it should be pretty easy to get a generic replacement. Still wouldn't get it though.

Knasher wrote: »
    From the looks of it, it seems to only support WEP. So I'd advise against it, on the power side it probably uses a wall wart transformer. They are usually make to support a full range of voltages, but if not it should be pretty easy to get a generic replacement. Still wouldn't get it though.

Yes I'm tending to agree with you to avoid it. The auction in question ended for $50 excluding postage from America. So when you factor in those costs and the price of a power supply I think it would be cheaper getting an ordinary bridge.

I'm no expert but isn't WEP all I need? I have a WEP key for my network....why would I need anything else? Anyway thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I wouldn't use WEP unless you have hardware that is only compatible with it (like the nds) - and then only if you really really like using that hardware on the net. Its been pretty well hacked, takes less than 5 mins to do if you have the right hardware. So as security goes, you really shouldn't depend on it.

You are much better off using WPA with either TKIP or preferable AES.

Advertisement