Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best waterproof jacket for Irish weather

Options
  • 11-08-2009 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've just moved to Ireland - west coast.
    My Hannah 'waterproof' jacket did not to stand up to Irish weather,
    as I found out one day cycling in the rain.
    Anyone got any recommendations for a decent true waterproof jacket?
    I heard Goretex was good for Irish conditions - Anyone got any experience?

Tia,
    MM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

If it's for cycling I can reccommend an Endura Flyte jacket, made with eVent which is more breathable than Goretex. I've been out for hours in the rain in it and it hasn't let me down.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17968

If it's a mountain jacket you're looking for I'll beow to the superior knowledge of the regulars here. I've just bought a Lowe Alpine jacket made with Triple Point XC but I haven't been out with it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭mckildare

I bought the Marmot Minimalist jacket with Goretex Paclite over in the states and its been fantastic so far. 4/4 soakable occasions and Ive remained fully dry :D

Its great for our kind of summers, warm and sticky but raining, as its not heavy so a thermal t shirt underneath will keep u warm while youre moving. Anything colder then just throw on a fleece underneath. Theres enough pockets to have a map compass and a couple of other things, it lacks here to keep the weight down but you can put anything else in a daysack.

Definitely Goretex material is what you seek as the rain here comes from all angles and is unforgiving to the unprepared :D I got mine stateside for $200 so Im not sure if it can be sourced here and I dont know any shops in the West :o

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Any Northface jacket, had mine for 4-5 years now. Faultless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've a ten year old Lowe Alpine triplepoint ceramic jacket, I've worn it for over 6 months, as in all day every day for over 6 months. it still is as good as new.
    Rain never gets in but if it's warm, you sweat a lot, and it takes a while to dry out. When I need to replace it I'd buy the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've a ten year old Lowe Alpine triplepoint ceramic jacket, I've worn it for over 6 months, as in all day every day for over 6 months. it still is as good as new.
    Rain never gets in but if it's warm, you sweat a lot, and it takes a while to dry out. When I need to replace it I'd buy the same again.

Thats what I would have gone with while they were made and tested here but since Lowe's aren't made here anymore the quality has gone down. They also adopted Goretex instead of Triplepoint which IMO was a huge mistake and nowhere near as good.

I would never buy Lowe anymore, That said I've a pair of triple point trousers (last pair in the shop, hidden at back of a rail) and they are fantastic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement