Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spawell closes with loss of 32 jobs

Options
  • 11-08-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Spawell closes with loss of 32 jobs
    Tuesday, 11 August 2009 17:07

CB Taverns, which operates the Spawell Licenced Premises in Templeogue in Dublin, has ceased trading with the loss of 32 jobs.

The Mandate union, which represents the 32 staff members in the company, say the workers were informed this morning of the situation.

Mandate says no information has been given about whether the company will be going into liquidation and if redundancy would be provided to staff members.
    Advertisement

Mandate's Divisional Organiser, Eddie Cassidy said: 'At the moment most of the workers are owed approximately one month's pay, including two weeks wages, holiday pay and wages for three days worked this week.'

The union is meeting company representatives on Friday to discuss the issue of outstanding pay and redundancy payments.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0811/spawell.html

Sad news, although it's being coming for a long time I'd say. I wonder what's going to happen to the sports facilities. The owners have really let the place become run down the last few years. Seems such a waste, the place has such great potential.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

wasnt it held up only last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

wasnt it held up only last week?

It was.

Mind you, I was there at christmas and felt held up myself after leaving the bar.

I never saw anything like the blatant ripping off of punters in my life and I am not talking about actual prices - rather staff taking what they thought they could take in what could only have been policy or downright theft.

Not until people in my party started demanding receipts did we start seeing proper change from rounds but it was clear the majority of people (mainly kids) were being savaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

No way. I'm guessing it's just the bar and nightclub gone. Sure they were crap anyway. Hopefully the sports facilities stay. Though if this was 2 years ago the developers would be circling already.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Davthalas

As one of the staff members that lost their job, I can confirm that the sports facility's will remain open. It was only the bar/nightclub/snooker that those CB nobs leased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Davthalas wrote: »
    As one of the staff members that lost their job, I can confirm that the sports facility's will remain open. It was only the bar/nightclub/snooker that those CB nobs leased.

Sorry to hear that Davthalas. Good luck with the future

• Advertisement
Advertisement