Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collecting winnings from scratch cards

Options
  • 11-08-2009 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

With National Lottery scratch cards does the shop have to sell the ticket you've won on in order to collect?

I was just around my local garage. I had one of those Monopoly ones and I had an All-Cash but with €3 and €2 on them.

They said they couldn't gimme the €3 for the Monopoly one because they don't sell them there. This seems a bit strange considering they're giving me cash from the lotto till?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

It definitely doesn't. I used to work in a shop behind the till with the lotto machine, and basically all you have to do is scan in the ticket, and the last 3/4 digits of the code on the ticket and it gives you a receipt to pay out.

I remember getting a lot of funny ones that we definitely didn't sell but it really doesn't matter as long as it's an official lotto scratchcard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

They are full of it. Probably some cashier talking out of his arse.

I am a lotto agent and I can pay out any prize off any lotto scratch card or lotto ticket - not the jackpot obviously.

I scan the ticket through my machine, it authorises the payout and I give you the cash. When I pay my bill, they add up all the payouts I did over the week and reduce my bill accordingly.

Dont make a big deal about it, just go to another shop. Yer man/woman doesnt know what they are talking about but thats not a reason for a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The cashier next to her looked bemused by the whole thing, I was pretty sure she was wrong but I was dying to get home and eat my icecream so didn't bother asking her to double check after she got a bit cranky the first time.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Any authorised seller can pay out on any instant game, up to a certain value. They were mistaken (for whatever reason), so just bring your ticket in and collect your winnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Random wrote: »
    after she got a bit cranky the first time.

That would be a "red flag to a bull" situation for me. :mad:

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Any authorised seller can pay out on any instant game, up to a certain value. They were mistaken (for whatever reason), so just bring your ticket in and collect your winnings.

Sorry but there is no certain value. If its a regular customer and I have the cash, I make a phone call and pay out up to five thousand "with agents consent"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Sorry but there is no certain value. If its a regular customer and I have the cash, I make a phone call and pay out up to five thousand "with agents consent"

I think the point is that you can't expect to walk into a small corner shop and come out with 5k in cash. Most places can cover up to €100 in cash, but they may not have enough of a float for any more. It's the same when getting cashback on the laser - few places, no matter how much they know/like you, could hand over much more than €100, and some places have said "Sorry, I've only got €50 spare at the moment, is that OK?"

Don't winnings over a certain monetary value have to be collected from Lottery HQ in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Is the monopoly game stopped??

dudara wrote: »
    Don't winnings over a certain monetary value have to be collected from Lottery HQ in Dublin?

Yep, generally the big ones. As I said previously, I can make a call to authorise a big pay out and they unlock my machine to do it. Then its exactly the same as a two euro payout.

If its a regular, I tell them to come back at a certain time or day and I will have the cash ready for them.

As long as the shop has the cash flow, its doesnt matter to me. I comes out of my bill the following Wednesday.

HOWEVER. This does not mean you can go into your local shop and demand they have the money ready for you whenever.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Some sotres have a policy that they only pay out ont he ones they sell. I remember my local shop when I was young used to have a stamp on the back with their name so it couldnt be disputed.

Yes that was the old system. Its all changed now so a shop in cork can pay out on a ticket bought in Malin.

Yep, generally the big ones. As I said previously, I can make a call to authorise a big pay out and they unlock my machine to do it. Then its exactly the same as a two euro payout.

If its a regular, I tell them to come back at a certain time or day and I will have the cash ready for them.

As long as the shop has the cash flow, its doesnt matter to me. I comes out of my bill the following Wednesday.

HOWEVER. This does not mean you can go into your local shop and demand they have the money ready for you whenever.:D:D

Very interesting - thanks for the response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Some sotres have a policy that they only pay out ont he ones they sell. I remember my local shop when I was young used to have a stamp on the back with their name so it couldnt be disputed.

Before the computerised Lotto tills came in, this was the way it was done, as they paid out from the funds they took in from the sale of tickets. That shouldn't be the case now, and if a shop refuses to sell, you could report it to Lotto HQ so that they can educate them with the education stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yes, but clearly if it's a huge amount of money you can't expect the shop to pay, e.g. the new 250,000 scratchcard.

Pythia wrote: »
    Yes, but clearly if it's a huge amount of money you can't expect the shop to pay, e.g. the new 250,000 scratchcard.

????

Who suggested that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

????

Who suggested that ?

There obviously is a certain value even though you said there wasn't.

Advertisement