Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

40D discontinued

• 11-08-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

So after 2 years on the market the 40D has been discontinued....but what does this really mean? should a wouldbe buyer stay away from it, what say you 40D owners, would you currently purchase one (the 40D is still available from some suppliers) B&H / Keaphoto no longer do)

and whats the alternitive canon for the money, surely not the 500D, or does a punter have to dig deeper and purchase the 50D.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

50d is the logical replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ach, sure it just means that now it will be available at even better value than ever before!

Buy, buy, buy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

And yet its still the camera everyone wants !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The 40D was never supposed to be replaced by the 50D. They were supposed to be 'sister cameras'.

Canon have developed in camera image stabilisation, so I reckon the 60D will be incorporating that, along with some sort of HD movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Fajitas! wrote: »
    The 40D was never supposed to be replaced by the 50D. They were supposed to be 'sister cameras'.

Canon have developed in camera image stabilisation, so I reckon the 60D will be incorporating that, along with some sort of HD movie.

I have a 50D so the next step for me is a 6D whenever it arrives. I would imagine the 60D & 6D will have the whole HD movie recording and what not.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they'll fit the HD recording into everything they can from now on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

No doubt the next iPhone will do it. 1080P resolution :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

kinda a shame really. i like having just a camera - would prefer if they made the photo taking abilities better instead of putting in video recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

i have been watching the price of the 40D for some time as i really want to get one think at this stage i will wait for the 60D. not a fan of the HD video in everything trend thats going on at the moment wish they would just concenrate on the camera technology.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

just read up on the differences...jeez odd move on their part...bit like the dxxxs and dxxs on nikon...

• Advertisement

Expect a high FPS camera, hi-def video with built-in camera stabilisation and 13-16Mp out within the next 6 months. Or at least the rumours anyways :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

In-camera stabilisation? Where's that rumour come from?

I know they developed a new in-lens stabilisation system...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Expect a high FPS camera, hi-def video with built-in camera stabilisation and 13-16Mp out within the next 6 months. Or at least the rumours anyways :)
    If they put in a D700 type AF into it I would def think about getting one!

Thirdfox wrote: »
    In-camera stabilisation? Where's that rumour come from?

I know they developed a new in-lens stabilisation system...

This is why everyone should be following my twitter :pac:

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20090722_hybrid_is.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Ain't they still rockin 2MP? Im sure HD on the iPhone will be ready by 2017.
    No doubt the next iPhone will do it. 1080P resolution :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Trizo wrote: »
    i have been watching the price of the 40D for some time as i really want to get one think at this stage i will wait for the 60D. not a fan of the HD video in everything trend thats going on at the moment wish they would just concenrate on the camera technology.

adding hd video doesnt have a negative effect on the cameras photo taking abilities, its just a software enhancement, im sure the 50d has a powerfull enough cpu to handle hd video with a firmware upgrade but canon wont provide that, you will have to wait for the 60d which should announced in the next week or2

the 20d is still a great camera, has better high iso performance than the 30d, the 40d is slightly better. biggest difference is an extra 2mp which isnt a big difference.

I'd skip the 50d and go for the 60d if it had less mp/better high iso performance and video. id prefer full frame video tho

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭PJW

Here's a link to a future Canon rumour.........

http://www.photographybay.com/2009/02/03/canon-60d-7d-rumors/

However I'm not intrested in having video on a camera, cant imagine i would use it very much and its gonna be ff and lots of $ too.

The 50D is still pricey but its going to be superceded also so should a punter wait fro the release of a 60D/7D to come onto the market and watch for the 50D cost to drop or take a good price on a 40D. Hmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 staroga

Ah crap. I just ordered my Canon 40d the other day, and it shipped from Amazon today, after my three week old 40d was taken in a house robbery!

Maybe if I held off a bit longer, I would have got it cheaper!

I'd definitely still buy the 40d... erm, well, I just did! :)

I can't complain though; I got it at a reasonable price, and I'll just be happy to have my camera back. Wish me better luck with this one!

staroga wrote: »
    Ah crap. I just ordered my Canon 40d the other day, and it shipped from Amazon today, after my three week old 40d was taken in a house robbery!

Well, the 40D isn't going to take any worse photographs now that there's an upgrade. Plus, you'll have your camera now rather than waiting some random amount of time. You could be waiting a year.
    PJW wrote: »
    However I'm not intrested in having video on a camera, cant imagine i would use it very much and its gonna be ff and lots of $ too.

I like having HD video on my camera, whether for dicking around with my friends, taking some nice footage, etc etc. It dosn't really cost that much more for it to be in the camera, and chances are that'll be reflected in the price - It won't be more than the 5D mkII - Probably 1400 on release.
    FX Meister wrote: »
    Ain't they still rockin 2MP? Im sure HD on the iPhone will be ready by 2017.

That matters not to those lovely folk in marketing. Hi-def!? Buzz word!? Let's use it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

6D ?

5D MK III ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

Canon Rumours seem certain the 60D is coming this month possibly next week. That would explain the 40D being discontinued. Shame, better camera than the 50D in some respects apparently.

On a less reliable level they have a spec list for the 7D which they claim might replace the XXD range. It's full frame. Seems unlikely to me but I suppose there could be space for a 7D which is a cheap 5D Mark II with no video and a 60D which is a 50D with video.

I'd be surprised if it started to claim in on the 5D mkII territory re: full frame - It's a niche enough market at the moment... time will tell!

This is why everyone should be following my twitter :pac:

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20090722_hybrid_is.html

Yup...that's the in-lens stabilisation... where does it mention in-camera?

"The technology will be featured in interchangeable single lens reflex (SLR) camera lens"

Hmmm. Wrong link.

I was sent it earlier, not can't find it now. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

I think the 40d is a crackin camera, and its very well priced at the mo. Definately the one I would go for cos the hd video on the 50d wouldn't really attract me. If I wanted movies, Id get a camcorder :)

Hmmm. Wrong link.

I was sent it earlier, not can't find it now. Apologies.

No need to apologise (and I think my post may have come across as curt - it's 1am here ;) )

I am interested in hearing that the big C has moved into in-camera stabilisation... the big N will surely follow soon in that case...

Advertisement