Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo of the week - Week #6 :: 27th July to 2nd August 2009

• 11-08-2009 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

3739883953_44b8d13d09.jpg

By: wersal gummage

Way to go Wersal! Cracking shot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

wow, thats cool!! thanks very much.

if anyone is interested, the photo was taken with a sigma 10-20mm at a place called lake louise in banff/jasper national park in canada. it involved about a 5am start so i could get there before the crowds, a tripod obviously and a grad ND filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The exif on the shot is available over here for those interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Great shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Stunning shot - I'd love to produce something like it at least once :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Great picture and these threads are a great idea too; I missed this picture in the random thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Excellent stuff Barry. Well deserved. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Stunning image!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Mind blowing, well done !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Such pretty water!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

well done wersel,great shot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Well done, great shot!

i was humming and hawing about whether to print this one up for the wall at home, think i will now !

thanks for all the comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Beautiful

Only problem now is you have me humming "Canadian Pacific" This place is mentioned in the song. My dream destination when my 6 lucky numbers come up:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

It's a really cool shot but I think it could have been better (not bitter I swear:P). The sky is a bit blown out. I wonder if HDR would have produced a better result. The mountains look like they would have hampered the ND grad. Those look a bit too dark to me as well. Did you use a polariser? May have helped with the reflections...

Still really like the shot and wish I was there to take it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

wow, thats cool!! thanks very much.

if anyone is interested, the photo was taken with a sigma 10-20mm at a place called lake louise in banff/jasper national park in canada. it involved about a 5am start so i could get there before the crowds, a tripod obviously and a grad ND filter.

Was gonna ask if it was Lake Louise - was there 10 years ago, beautiful place.
    Cracking photo.

daycent wrote: »
    It's a really cool shot but I think it could have been better (not bitter I swear:P). The sky is a bit blown out. I wonder if HDR would have produced a better result. The mountains look like they would have hampered the ND grad. Those look a bit too dark to me as well. Did you use a polariser? May have helped with the reflections...

Still really like the shot and wish I was there to take it!

Thanks Daycent, yeah my thoughts of the photo are exactly the same as your own. thats why i was very surprised it got such a good reaction - and hence why i was humming and hawing about whether to print it up.

i didn't use a polarising filter for that shot. i had a polarising filter with me and did try it on another shot but it didn't really work. i just used the grad ND filter - did this to try and compensate for the bright sky - which is actually light reflecting off a glacier - the white area you see is snow covered. the sky that day was a grey/black - totally overcast.

exposing the 'white area' correctly led to a very, very dark everything else.

the photo is a RAW file though, so I may be able to salvage it. I find though when i use layers it is always very visible afterwards where the 'lines' are.

A glacier as well :eek: That's definitely on my list of places to visit before I die...

You could probably try making a HDR from the single RAW file (not sure if you have Photomatix) There is different methods but what I usually do is export three versions; original, +1 and -1 stop and run them through Photomatix.

Or if you want send on the RAW file and I'll have a go*

Then claim it as my own :p :pac:

daycent, this is what photomatix did - is it an improvement do you think?

3818080893_0ecfeaf334.jpg

and the original - for easy comparison:

3739883953_44b8d13d09.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

daycent, this is what photomatix did - is it an improvement do you think?

It makes a very appealing photo even nicer. I think that works well.

Gotta say, that water is just amazing. :)

I think it is. You might even get a bit more detail out of it with some curves adjustment layers or something :) Still a great shot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement