Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing Errigal

Options
  • 11-08-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm heading to Donegal this weekend and I'm hoping to go up Errigal, weather permitting. I've read that it's pretty boggy around the foot so I'm wondering if it's better to approach from the north or is it straighforward to come along the road and head up from the south?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There's a carpark on the Dunlewy road which is the popular tourist route. Very easy.

From the carpark to the base of Errigal is a bit boggy but nothing awful. From there it is scree and rock you're walking on. There's a big vertical drop to the right as you walk up, I'd give it a skip in very windy weather. The path is obvious to the top however.

If you wanted a longer walk you could walk over to Altan farm & on to Errigal from there. You need to be properly kitted out, boots, maps etc. I'm not sure where people start this Altan farm walk from on the road, only ever done Errigal from Muckish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Thanks for the info, Altan Farm is at the south end of Loch Altan isn't it?
    Since you bring up Muckish, can you reccommend a good route up? I'm going up with a big group of inexperienced people so we'll probably do the quick way up and down Errigal, if so I might go on to Muckish.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

The Miners' Path is the best way if you're doing both in one day. Driving from Creeslough to Dunfanaghy, turn left just opposite a graveyard (after Ards Forest Park), and keep on driving! You'll pass the quarry (Muckish Sand & Gravel), and just keep on driving till you can't go any further.

You'll find yourself at the bottom of the path, and just head straight up!

EDIT: The lower slopes of Errigal are pretty wet these days. Wear waterproof boots.

Top stuff, thanks for the help.

We got back from Donegal yesterday evening, had a great weekend up there. We took the route up from the Dunlewy Road to keep it simple. It was pretty soft at the bottom but no more than ankle deep. We were in the cloud when we got to the very steep scree at about 650 m and with rain and heavy gusts half the group went back down. The rest headed up and got to the summit, albeit on hands and knees in some places. Everyone was happy out, summit or not, and we sank a fair few pints Saturday evening :D

Great countryside up there, can't wait to go back and do a longer trek. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Glad it worked out well for you! Errigal can be pretty hairy when the wind gets up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Saturday's Irish Times had a featured walk of Errigal..

Saturday's Irish Times had a featured walk of Errigal..

Found it on the IT website, thanks for the heads up.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/travel/2009/0815/1224252574876.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Just a quick question to anyone who has been up Errigal. Had planned on climbing it on Saturday but forecast is for quite windy/gusty weather.

How difficult is the ridge at the top and is it advisable to give it a miss if it's anyway blustery?

Cheers,
    Paul

there are really two small summits, connected by a narrow, but not dangerous ridge.
    Unless the weather is very very windy, I would say, give it a go, but all depends on the group, experience etc.

• Advertisement

there are really two small summits, connected by a narrow, but not dangerous ridge.
    Unless the weather is very very windy, I would say, give it a go, but all depends on the group, experience etc.

Cheers for that. Will be doing the walk on my own - have some experience of hill walking so the walk itself doesn't bother me in the least.. just not sure how dodgy it will be with wind or how tricky that ridge is.. have heard stories but they may well be quite exagerrated. Forecast is as follows:

'SATURDAY will be a cool windy day, with mostly strong and gusty west to northwest winds.'

before you reach the summit, there is a circular shelter, on the shoulder, good place to stop, and make a decision, whether to go ahead, about 15mins (i think) to the first summit

before you reach the summit, there is a circular shelter, on the shoulder, good place to stop, and make a decision, whether to go ahead, about 15mins (i think) to the first summit

dursey,

thanks very much for that info, very helpful. Trying to get to the highest point in each county in Ireland so doing Sawel in Derry/Tyrone in the morning and then onto Errigal so really hoping it won't be a wasted run!

Well, went up Errigal today and all I can say is what a mountain!!

Done Sawel in Derry/Tyrone earlier in the day and was it very breezy on top - made my way across to Dunlewy and wasn't sure if I'd chance up or not. Conditions around the area were very blustery and the mountain looked quite menacing in the passing cloud.

Saw some people coming down so decided to get kitted up and go up some of the way. Met a guy on his way down who had been to the top which gave me some courage. The exposed ridges were a mixture of pure terror and complete exhiliration - the wind was arriving in gusts and you could hear it coming before you felt it which gave me a couple of seconds to brace myself each time. Was nearly on hands and knees towards the summit itself. Superb views from the top as visibility was superb - in fact, it was the perfect walking weather apart from the wind! Decided to give one man's pass a miss - told myself it would give me a reason to go back some time again but the real reason was because I was terrified of the look of it given the conditions.

So, thanks for the advice and all I can add is that Errigal is highly recommended - can't wait to go back up..

A longer walk planned tomorrow, first time up Lugnaquilla - can't see it living up to Errigal!!

Advertisement