Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new digital camera, WHERE??

• 11-08-2009 10:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a new digital camera (compact), a relatively good one from 8 mega pixels up but what I want to know is do you know of any good sales on at the mo or where is a good place to buy one at a good price, preferably a shop.

Appreciate your feedback!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Might sound mad - and there will be some poo-poos Im sure here, but I was looking at Peats electronics today and they had some reaonable P+S (Point and Shot) cameras. Argos too. Dont go near their SLR prices, but for your run of the mill camera they seemed okay.

Remember, pixels aren'y everything in a camera. I a P+S look out for resolution, practical size, Memory cad type, optical zoom, lens protection etc.

here is a list of popular cameras from flickr. Halfway down, theres a list of the most popular Point and Shoots. You can click on which ever one you like and look at sample pictures, see how much it costs and other Specs.

the Canon Powershot SD1100 IS might be the one you want. 8 megapixels, bout 200 quid or less, small, lightweight and impresive little features. It's a popular little thing and lots of people on Flickr seem well happy with it.

As far as I know the G9 is off the market. That was an amazing thing. You might pick up one cheap second hand/on ebay. The G10 is pointless - you could get a decent SLR for it's price.

Hope Ive helped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Have you decided upon what camera you need?

If not then visit the "so you are looking for a new camera" thread in the stickies on the main forum.

If you have a brand/model then please post.

Local bricks n mortar - Gunns (wexford street, dubnlin) are usually recommended with service to beat the band.

Flea bay can be ok if you know what you are at / buying.

If fancying a trip up north then jessops in newry is a good location regularly mentioned.

Unless its a high end/serious P&S then there won't be a big difference in cost between the stores either online or bricks n mortar so your time may be best spent choosing an appropriate model with the likes of gunns.

Stick away from non branded stuff - almost always it will be of very poor quality.

Advertisement