Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark Beaumont

Options
  • 11-08-2009 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Has anyone read his book about riding around the world. "The man who cycled the world"

Just finishing it, I saw his TV series last year. He is some man for the bike.
    For those of you that somehow don't know him, he did 18,297 mls in 194 days (over 100 mls per day). Holds the Guinness world record for same.:cool:

Puts other achievements into perspective

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Saw the TV show. Some man for one man. Interested in reading the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭John-Holmes

I must get round to reading that book.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/cyclingtheamericas/

The mad man is cycling from Alaska down to the bottom of south America at the minute. He isn't in as big a hurry as the round the world trek but still quite a feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I have the book too, it's next in my 'to-read' pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭redmenace1

kenmc wrote: »
    I have the book too, it's next in my 'to-read' pile.

It a great read, you will feel like you cycled it urself:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

New show starts on Tuesday -

Tuesday, 23:05 on BBC One

b00rqgh6_303_170.jpg

Mark Beaumont, who broke the record for pedalling around the world is back on the road. This time the adventure promises to be more exhilarating and agonising - Mark's journey will take him from Alaska, USA to Ushuaia, in southern Argentina; cycling the length of the Rockies and Andes, 13,000 miles through 12 countries. He'll also attempt to reach the summits of the highest mountains in North and South America. For nine months, Mark will self-film his intimate adventure at bike speed.

At the beginning of his journey, Mark sets off near Anchorage, Alaska and is treated to an impromptu prayer session with the locals, in a remote burger bar where he is topping up the 6,000 calories he needs each day to keep going.

Further along the road in Alaska he joins a team of mountaineers to scale Mount McKinley, at 20,320 ft, the highest peak in North America, and the first of two daunting climbs he will undertake on the adventure. One of the coldest mountains on earth, McKinley has a fearsome reputation, having claimed 100 lives.

Mark also faces a variety of different dangers, from Black Bears at the roadside, huge RVs - recreational vehicles - driven by ageing American holidaymakers to a forest fire which stops him in his tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn57Rz-_hJc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Was his record not beaten recently by some ginger chap?

EDIT: Argh, I see this is an old thread that has been dug up.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

Heres an interview with mark if your interested!
    Theres also an interview with his mum on the same website (as she provided the base suport from the UK for visas etc..)

http://www.endurancesource.com/#/mark-beaumont-1/4530795511

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Well theres a thing ...just bought that book yesterday....although ....... I reckon Mark will have cycled the world faster that I will read this book ...alot of pages and Im sooooo slow at reading honestly Ive had to restart so many books due to forgetting what they were about..:confused::confused::confused:. but this one sounds good by all accounts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

redmenace1 wrote: »
    Has anyone read his book about riding around the world. "The man who cycled the world"

Just finishing it, I saw his TV series last year. He is some man for the bike.
    For those of you that somehow don't know him, he did 18,297 mls in 194 days (over 100 mls per day). Holds the Guinness world record for same.:cool:

Half way through it. Inspiring stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'm nearly finished this book (round the world one) and I feel I must talk about it.....

The chap seemed to know or care very little about basic maintenance. He didn't seem to clean his bike himself once. He didn't notice his tyres wearing down in Australia. I'm pretty sure he didn't even have a spare tyre! He had spare tubes though.

But he does have awesome stamina, recovery, bloody mindedness and an ability to ignore pain, which are probably more important than a bit of bike maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i know its not cycling but if you like that sort of thing the n this is worth a read (ive mentioned it before so sorry for that)

Just a Little Run Around the World: 5 Years, 3 Packs of Wolves and 53 Pairs of Shoes (Paperback)
    By (author) Rosie Swale-Pope

After her husband died of cancer, 57-year-old Rosie set off to run around the world, raising money in memory of the man she loved. Followed by wolves, knocked down by a bus, confronted by bears, chased by a naked man with a gun and stranded with severe frostbite, Rosie's breathtaking 20,000-mile solo journey is as gripping as it is inspiring. Rosie's solo run around the world started out of sorrow and heartache and a wish to turn something around. Heartbroken when she lost her husband to cancer, Rosie set off from Wales with nothing but a small backpack of food and equipment, and funded by the rent from her little cottage. So began her epic 5-year journey that would take her 20,000 miles around the world, crossing Europe, Russia, Asia, Alaska, North America, Greenland, Iceland, and back into the UK. On a good day she'd run 30 miles, on a bad day she'd only manage 500 yards, digging herself out of the snow at -62 degrees C, moving her cart inches at a time. Every inch, every mile, was a triumph, a celebration of life, and 53 pairs of shoes later Rosie arrived home to jubilant crowds in Tenby, Wales. Rosie's incredible story is a mesmerizing page-turner of the run of her life. It will wake up the sleeping adventurer in you; it will inspire hope, courage and determination in you; but most of all it will convince you to live your life to the full and make every day count.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Just-Little-Run-Around-World-Rosie-Swale-Pope/9780007306206

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-39479386
    "...Endurance cyclist Mark Beaumont has announced plans to go around the world in 80 days on his bike, which would involve smashing the current record.
    To be successful, the Scot will have to complete the 18,000 mile route in less than half the time he took when he set the record nine years ago....

fair play to him, some task!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

this reminds me again that i have his book at home but never got around to reading it.

i saw last week he was planning to announce something today alright. had thought from the way it was being flagged last week that he was setting off straight away though! absolutely insane target tbf.

edit: he's going for a short prep spin this week alright
    As a warm-up to the trip, he will first cycle around the coastline of Britain, beginning on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Check his bike for a motor!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He had a small piece in the financial times last week. It's a regular column about things people couldn't be without when travelling. He said a dictaphone as he spends so much time alone he can at least record his thoughts aloud to keep him a little sane

Just saw a piece on this weeks GCN on youtube, he's over half way on his around the world in 80 days and in New Zealand.

http://www.artemisworldcycle.com

EDIT: Just watching him speak about looking forward to coming back to the northern hemisphere as it's summer and more daylight. Wouldn't have occurred to me. He looks in good shape given what he been through.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

385k per day for 80 days in a row is mind boggling but the planning and logistical side of things is off the scale as well.  I know he has big brands on board but from watching the odd clip the logistical support seems immense

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I met a guy last week who did LEL recently and he thought Beaumont was a pansy because he has a support car. These audaxers are crazy.

i view it as a much test of the ability to stay seated on a saddle for 16hrs a day as opposed to a test of endurance.

As mentioned above, he is supported to the hilt with very little to do other than stay in the saddle. I'd give far more credit to anyone who did it unsupported, regardless of the duration of their trip.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He's already gone around the world once unsupported pretty much,

It's a lot more impressive than those folk going around in circles in Milton Keynes and Florida to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

velo.2010 wrote: »
    i view it as a much test of the ability to stay seated on a saddle for 16hrs a day as opposed to a test of endurance.

As mentioned above, he is supported to the hilt with very little to do other than stay in the saddle. I'd give far more credit to anyone who did it unsupported, regardless of the duration of their trip.

How many time have you done 385km a day? It's more than just sitting in a saddle.

Supported or not it takes great vigour and health to do that every day. The supported bit reduces stress for sure but was he is doing is way beyond most.

At the pointed end of the unsupported ultra stuff(that top 2-3%) can do 400km a day for 1-2weeks. The numbers that average above 300km unsupported are usually less than 10% of field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Weepsie wrote: »
    He's already gone around the world once unsupported pretty much,

It's a lot more impressive than those folk going around in circles in Milton Keynes and Florida to be honest

Steve Abrahams is doing a lot more than loops of Milton Keynes!! Amanda Coker is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Steve Abrahams is doing a lot more than loops of Milton Keynes!! Amanda Coker is a different story.

Very true this is the strava heat map for his first attempt, not too many laps here
    cyVIdUO.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Miklos wrote: »
    I met a guy last week who did LEL recently and he thought Beaumont was a pansy because he has a support car. These audaxers are crazy.
    To be fair to Beaumont he's done the world, down Africa and Alaska to Chile solo so he's readily admitted has the support team purely for the logistics of the speed attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Supported or not 300 km plus per day is savage. As much mental as physical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cycling round the world unsupported - you're having a bad day, you slow down, you take it easy, maybe even take a day off. there's far less pressure on you. doing what he's doing at the moment, if he's having a bad day on the bike, he can't slow down. he can't think 'sure i may take tomorrow off', cos flights are booked and peoples wages need to be paid while he gets his **** back together. and while he knows there's loads of people waiting for updates on how he's getting on.

i know which option i'd prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Roca

redmenace1 wrote:
    Just finishing it, I saw his TV series last year. He is some man for the bike. For those of you that somehow don't know him, he did 18,297 mls in 194 days (over 100 mls per day). Holds the Guinness world record for same.

redmenace1 wrote:

redmenace1 wrote:

It's an excellent book. You should read his book that came after that. The man who cycled the Americas. He climbed the two highest peaks in North and South America along the way.

ford2600 wrote: »
    How many time have you done 385km a day? It's more than just sitting in a saddle.

Supported or not it takes great vigour and health to do that every day. The supported bit reduces stress for sure but was he is doing is way beyond most.

At the pointed end of the unsupported ultra stuff(that top 2-3%) can do 400km a day for 1-2weeks. The numbers that average above 300km unsupported are usually less than 10% of field.

That first line is a bit of a fallacy argument to be fair. I don't have the financial security to drop everything for a few months, corporate sponsorship etc, etc. If I did, maybe I'd give it a go, but probably not. I'll never have that choice because I didn't/don't have the means to do it.

And its not 'way beyond most'. Give those other ultra distance cyclists the same support and I guarantee you more would give it a go. The problem is they struggle to get things in order to do anymore than a 1-2 week event because they don't have the means themselves.

I admire Beaumont for all that he's done before, especially unsupported. However, I regard this adventure the same as assisted efforts in athletics like Radcliffe running with men to break the marathon world record or Kipchoge running around Monza with fresh pacemakers to break two hours. A great effort but still a novelty endurance test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

velo.2010 wrote: »
    That first line is a bit of a fallacy argument to be fair. I don't have the financial security to drop everything for a few months, corporate sponsorship etc, etc. If I did, maybe I'd give it a go, but probably not. I'll never have that choice because I didn't/don't have the means to do it.

And its not 'way beyond most'. Give those other ultra distance cyclists the same support and I guarantee you more would give it a go. The problem is they struggle to get things in order to do anymore than a 1-2 week event because they don't have the means themselves.

I admire Beaumont for all that he's done before, especially unsupported. However, I regard this adventure the same as assisted efforts in athletics like Radcliffe running with men to break the marathon world record or Kipchoge running around Monza with fresh pacemakers to break two hours. A great effort but still a novelty endurance test.

It's a straight forward question? How often have you ridden 385km in a single day?

200 odd lads and ladirs signed up for the transcontinental, the average the vast majority managed is usually close to 200km a day. The majority of those entrants wouldn't have a hope of doing 385km/day for 80.

I can think of 2/3 Irish guys might have a chance; but given the how catabolic extreme endurance is; fair chance even those 2/3 animals would break to.

385km a day for 80 is savage. Because a guy can do well on an ultra event for 2 weeks is no guarantee they won't break once you stretch that out to 11 weeks.

Multi day audax isn't unsupported either; you know that you will have food/shelter and where.

Not a big fan of the PR side of this, but it doesn't make the physical accomplishment any the lesser

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    It's a straight forward question? How often have you ridden 385km in a single day?

200 odd lads and ladirs signed up for the transcontinental, the average the vast majority managed is usually close to 200km a day. The majority of those entrants wouldn't have a hope of doing 385km/day for 80.

I can think of 2/3 Irish guys might have a chance; but given the how catabolic extreme endurance is; fair chance even those 2/3 animals would break to.

385km a day for 80 is savage. Because a guy can do well on an ultra event for 2 weeks is no guarantee they won't break once you stretch that out to 11 weeks.

Multi day audax isn't unsupported either; you know that you will have food/shelter and where.

Not a big fan of the PR side of this, but it doesn't make the physical accomplishment any the lesser

Your still stuck on that first line. How much I can do a day is completely beside the point. I've never tested myself to that extent, therefore I don't know what I am capable of, plus means etc.

You cannot dismiss every other ultra cyclist or amateur cyclist who hasn't attempted the feat. I don't dismiss the physical effort and stated that staying in the saddle for that long would have a greater physical toll than the endurance aspect, ie, his arse will be in ribbons when he finishes.

It's an argument from ignorance to suggest that nobody but Mark Beaumont can do this challenge.

Advertisement