Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronnie Biggs makes miraculous return to health

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Ah Good man himself.

I know no-one will agree with me, but he's done time enough. Nowadays the sentence would be ridiculously small.
    He's old, he played a minor role as it was. Let him go and die a free man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Fair play tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Tbh,I think he'll get more satisfaction from this heist than the former..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Fair enough I think. This is the train robber guy right? I dont think he has it in him to rob another train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hope he dies soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

The man escaped prison. . . He's a legend :pac:

mike65 wrote: »
    Hope he dies soon.
    I expect he will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I hope now, with his newfound freedom, he doesn't go off the rails, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He said last week that he'd have the last laugh

cocky bastard or what =p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

procure11 wrote: »
    Ronnie Biggs was released last week due to the fact that his health had so deterioted that he could die anytime .Medical reports even suggested he could die before his 80th birthday last saturday but it seems the mean dude is still kicking.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1205748/Buoyant-Ronnie-Biggs-looks-ready-home-just-days-prison-release.html

I might be wrong but I feel he just beat the system once again ...at least in the short run!.

Your thoughts folks?

Still though, he's not exactly a picture of health. That pic makes him look senile if nothing else.

• Advertisement

I expect he will!

But so the Doctors said a few weeks ago!!!...simply explains the difference between wisdom and knowledge..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ronnie Biggs meh. C.J. Haughey FTW. Stole way more than Biggs, didn't spend a day in jail. Didn't even have to go on trial because of "health reasons". Lived on for many more years in luxury on a par with kings :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

brummytom wrote: »
    Ah Good man himself.

Didn't the train driver die of injuries sustained during the robbery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

due to his strokes he cant speak

dvpower wrote: »
    Didn't the train driver die of injuries sustained during the robbery?

Not proven, but could have contributed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Train_Robbery_(1963)#Aftermath
    Jack Mills' assailant was one of two members of the gang who was never identified but is thought to be "Buster" Edwards. Frank Williams (at the time a Detective Inspector) claims to have traced the man, but he could not be charged because of lack of evidence. Mills had constant trauma headaches the rest of his life. He died in 1970 from leukaemia.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The sentiment on this thread is incredibly mean spritied.:( Biggs has more than paid his dues to society. Let the man die in peace.

Agree with the CJ Haughey comment...

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The sentiment on this thread is incredibly mean spritied.:( Biggs has more than paid his dues to society. Let the man die in peace.

Agree with the CJ Haughey comment...

He spent most of that time sticking two fingers up while on the run, he only came home when the money ran out and his health was failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

mike65 wrote: »
    Hope he dies soon.

Thats nice of ya, what did he ever do on you?

Back to subject you've got to admire the bloke, 2 fingers to the system time an time again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Thats nice of ya, what did he ever do on you?

Back to subject you've got to admire the bloke, 2 fingers to the system time an time again.

He is absolute scum. What is to admire about him? I am absolutely amazed at the iconic status that **** has achieved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nah he's a piece low rent scum, he just happened to have a charming cheeky persona that got him a long way until the cash ran out and the tabloids got bored.

Ronnie Biggs is history's greatest monster.

Correction, it's actually Charlie Haughey, also mentioned in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Larkin501 wrote: »
    The man escaped prison. . . He's a legend :pac:

So did Mr. Scofield but you don't hear him bragging.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    He is absolute scum. What is to admire about him? I am absolutely amazed at the iconic status that **** has achieved.

enlighten me

Mossy Monk wrote: »

I think you are profoundly emotional in your assertion.
    Tbh Ronnie Biggs would be a saint compared to some politicians and bankers in Ireland of Today...
    at least he stole money and did not need state guarantees on his loot...:D

I hope Biggs covets an orange, reaches for the fruit bowl, but instead falls and breaks both hips. The public deserves this at least.

But seriously, the geezer never showed a shred of remorse.

Why would he though, I suppose. He's had a great life thanks to his notoriety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

unkel wrote: »
    Ronnie Biggs meh. C.J. Haughey FTW. Stole way more than Biggs, didn't spend a day in jail. Didn't even have to go on trial because of "health reasons". Lived on for many more years in luxury on a par with kings :rolleyes:

You guys are probably all to young to know or remember the case of Ernest Saunders of "Guinness Four" fame. He ended up only serving 9 months of his 5-year sentence when he was released from prison in 1991 on compassionate grounds after claiming that he was suffering from incurable pre-senile dementia associated with Alzheimer's Disease. Upon release he made a remarkably swift "recovery" and is still alive.

I hope Biggs covets an orange, reaches for the fruit bowl, but instead falls and breaks both hips. The public deserves this at least.

But seriously, the geezer never showed a shred of remorse.

Why would he though, I suppose. He's had a great life thanks to his notoriety.

why would the public deserve anything from biggs. His an old man ffs. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I hate when they present this guy as some sort of Robin Hood 'Wurrrrkin' Class Hero' in the U.K.

The locomotive's second man 26 year old David Whitby jumped down from the cab to call the signalman from a trackside telephone, only to find the cables had been cut. Upon returning to the train, he was thrown down the embankment of the railway track. One of the gang members (who did not carry guns) then boarded the train cab and hit 57 year old Mills on the head with an iron bar, causing a black eye and facial bruising. The five postal workers in the HVP carriage were then tied up and pushed into a corner.

To say he's the opposite of the bankers and politicians is also laughable. Suppose being methaphorically battered by greedy people is better than being hit by one of them in the head with an iron bar:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I hate when they present this guy as some sort of Robin Hood 'Wurrrrkin' Class Hero' in the U.K.

To say he's the opposite of the bankers and politicians is also laughable. Suppose being methaphorically battered by greedy people is better than being hit by one of them in the head with an iron bar:rolleyes:

It was major heist, and thats all that happened to any of the rail workers. Worse stuff will happen in your local pub on a sat night. Not like the man was like the kray brothers.

a-k-47 wrote: »
    why would the public deserve anything from biggs. His an old man ffs. Get over it.

I thought the words 'but seriously' would be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I think he is a low-life piece of scum.

And I'm also amazed at how he has gained iconic status. People think "ah he's great, he robbed a load of cash and the cute hoor managed to escape from prison as well!". But they seem to want to forget the brutal assault he and his team inflicted on the staff working on the train including beating the driver over the head repeatedly with an iron bar. A driver who was out trying to make an honest living for he and his family. If that man had been your Dad, would you see Ronnie Biggs as a hero then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

kraggy wrote: »

And I'm also amazed at how he has gained iconic status. People think "ah he's great, he robbed a load of cash and the cute hoor managed to escape from prison as well!". But they seem to want to forget the brutal assault he and his team inflicted on the staff working on the train including beating the driver over the head repeatedly with an iron bar. A driver who was out trying to make an honest living for he and his wife. If that man had been your Dad, would you see Ronnie Biggs as a hero then?

Fair point. Sure Martin Cahill has iconic status among some, so has Gerry McCabes murderers.

Being a loveable rogue absolves some, like Haughey.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Hes nothing but a scumbag piece of S.H.I.T, he will be dead soon and he will burn in hell.

kraggy wrote: »

And I'm also amazed at how he has gained iconic status. People think "ah he's great, he robbed a load of cash and the cute hoor managed to escape from prison as well!". But they seem to want to forget the brutal assault he and his team inflicted on the staff working on the train including beating the driver over the head repeatedly with an iron bar. A driver who was out trying to make an honest living for he and his family. If that man had been your Dad, would you see Ronnie Biggs as a hero then?

doesnt mean he hit him over the head with an iron bar. Hes hardly a notorious criminal. Interesting life story on the run.

• Advertisement

Hes nothing but a scumbag piece of S.H.I.T, he will be dead soon and he will burn in hell.

Your a clown. Does anybody know anything more than he was involved in, other than a train robbery 50years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Ah let him on, the poor aul fecker is not gonna do much damage these days!! Even Irish Rail wud be too fast for him now!! (maybe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

JupiterKid wrote: »

Eh, no he hasn't more than paid his dues. He only served 9 years out of the 30 year sentence he received.
    doesnt mean he hit him over the head with an iron bar. Hes hardly a notorious criminal. Interesting life story on the run.

Doesn't mean he didn't either.

It doesn't matter. He was part of the group that planned and carried out the attack and robbery.

He is scum. End of.

Also, you'd want to look up the meaning of "notorious".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

All the people saying "fair play to him" like he's some kind of hero... the guy's a piece of fcuking ****, rot in hell you old swine.

This piece of sh!t couldn't make a decent living like most others... I hope the bastard dies a horrible death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

enlighten me

You really do not know anything about this guy or do you have great admiration for all scum?

• Advertisement
Advertisement