Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Cattle Mart, NCR, Dublin

Options
  • 11-08-2009 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Currently I am undertaking a project on Livestock Marts and their intrinstric role in Irish agricultural life and would appreciate any photographs of the old Cattle Mart that resided at Hanlons Corner, North Circular Road, Dublin. The site that was the old cattle mart is now home to council housing. I am also trying to find out who owned the mart. I initially thought that it was the property of Dublin Corporation but I have since learned that it was the proprietorship of a private livestock auctioneering firm.

If anyone has any information regarding the cattle mart I would appreciate same. All contributors will be acknowledged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

My dad once told me that he knew of a family with a farm in the Dublin Mountains near Tallaght. And they used to herd cattle to the mart on sale days the brightest light they saw in Dublin was the light from the stoneybatter Mart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

have a look at this

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

If you are looking for photographs the best thing I'd say to do is go to all the local pubs (even go on a pub crawl) in aughrim st, prussia st, Hanlons pub & stoney batter, & Smithfield and most of them have old pictures of the market and that area from a few decades back!!!

Take a digital camera and take a photo of them cause they aint gonna let you take the photos to copy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Here's (a poor quality) one taken circa. 1930. As well as cattle, sheep were also sold there and can be seen in the more distant pens. The cattle then were almost all of the traditional (Irish/British) breeds with little evidence of the now ubiquitous continentals.

CattleMarketNCR.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Guinness69

Some of the Auctioneers were Ganly Craigie and Doyles they went on to have marts in Ashbourne and Doyles in Maynooth. I believe Doyles also had one in Blessington. Ashbourne and Maynooth were both sold for housing in the boom. Both of these went on to selling land and housing. Some of the big cattlemen of the time were the Dolans, Lyons, Connon, Barrett,

Google this. [646] Mr. Counihan: He is a member of the Association and should know the names of some of the men who signed this memorial and whether they are important members of the Association or not. This is the memorial:—

I can't put up the link you will get some of the men that sold cattle . they are not necessarily auctioneers but some are cattlemen and some are shippers

google the whole sentence from the [646] to memorial:—

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Visit the pubs in the area.

Nearly certain there are photos of the market in Hanlon's Corner, Mulligans & The Glimmerman

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

There are also some photos on the wall of the Cafe in the Parish Centre on Prussia St.
    There are some stories about it in the book "Stoneybatter, Dublin's Urban Village" which should be easy enough to get through your local library.

It's funny that local people still call it the cattlemarket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement