Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gestational diabetes

Options
  • 11-08-2009 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi,

I am not seeking any medical advice here but i am 28 weeks now and diagnosed today with GD. Any one else in the same boat? Since than i am worried too much and concerned for my baby. I don't eat ouside neither a bog fan of sweet foods. I just want to ask if anyone gone through this and was the baby fine after delivery.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Baby's can be a bit bigger if your diabetes is not managed well, and the baby will need to have their blood sugars monitored for a couple of days after delivery while their little bodies climatise to life outside the womb.

Which hospital are you attending? Most have a diabetes midwife who will give you oodles of advice and support.

You'll have more regular check ups and you'll have more scans than the average pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

Currently going through it! Tried the diet to control but body said otherwise so now on insulin. Im in Galway and the diabetic team are fantastic feel well looked after. Im scaned every 2 weeks to monitor size/growth of the baby. My lil ones belly was bigger than its head for a good few weeks until the sugars were brought under control, they told me that this could cause problems in delivery but that they would assess the risks and benefits closer to due date to see what form of delivery would be best. Thank god its now inline with the rest of its body but a big baby all the same, 34 weeks last week and estimated weight of 7lbs.

You will feel a lot better as you will be seen more in hospital and by GP, I also get a call from the diabetes nurse once a week to check my sugars and if she feels that they should be increased or decreased she advises on that.

Have an appointment in the afternoon and will be discussing what happens after birth with baby.

Eat regularly and well, and it should be easier to control. I found that porridge in the morning was the best for breakfast as I was finding the morning sugars hard to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

I met the doctors in regional limerick today. he saw the results and said i should be well able to control them just with the diet .And i wont need insulin. thanks god that's a relief. but definately i need to have good diet.

Thanks for the replies:confused:

Thats great news! Told me to eat plenty of wholegrain, green leafy veg. dark green apples, no mango or pineapple...way to high in sugar and avoid really ripe fruit. Found that low fat diet yogurts were lower in sugar so less carbs. And when drinking fizzy drinks make sure they are diet/zero drinks. Plenty of water. Best of luck with it.

Hi Galwaygirleen,

Thanks for sharing your views. i am a strict vegetarian and leafy vegetables are part of my routin. Just want to ask what are the other fruits you are allowed to eat apart from green apples. and i dont eat cheese, but i drink 4 glass of milk a day, will that suffice for my calcium meeds? Any advice or views are welcome.

Thanks,

• Advertisement

Hi asap1 I know Milk will still be considered to be carbs, so not too sure as to how much you should be drinking. As for fruits it was trial and error I can eat strawberries but cant eat too many grapes, tested with monitor after a portion to see what sent me high. I eat Bananas but really small ones and only in the middle of the day cos it was harder to control sugars in the morning so didnt eat them as part of breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

hi, my sis had gd last year when preg and herself and baby were bothe perfect after delivery, she had a special diabetes nurse and doctor, she was only in public care so you could look into this. they gave her a menu which she followed. she was allowed all fruit as far as i know but not a large fruit or 2 pieces together, she just had to space them out. you should ask your doctor for a printout though, that way you'l be sure

thanks for the replies. i just had a scan today and everything is fine so far. Re, my readings more than half of them are under limit. and other which are not are only out by a fraction. specially the morning ones are all bad, but doctor says do not be worried too much for the morning ones. So hoping to have good results in a week.

Thanks

Advertisement