Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking money to Oz

Options
  • 11-08-2009 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi all just want to get a few opinions on this. So what does everyone think is the best method of taking money to oz with them when travelling from ireland, ill be away for the year.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

set up an OZ bank account when you get there and transfer it over.
    Then use a mixture of efptos and cash

plus, throw a few spare $ on your credit card for extra measure

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Yes first thing is throw 500euro or a grand if you can onto your credit card( no charges).
    Secondly open a bank account before you go, transfer your money using a forex company, there really is a big difference there if you are transferring allot of cash as opposed to a bank.
    I was following the fx in just the last day alone a difference of over 50euro to if I had transferred the same amount yesterday.
    I still havent actually bought and transferred any currency yet, have the Oz account but still waiting for the best time to buy AUD and transfer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Apparently (I haven't looked into it properly yet myself) you can cut out a lot of the bank and fx fees by opening two paypal accounts - one linked to your irish account and one to your oz one. Then transfer money from the Irish bank a/c to the Irish paypal, across to the oz paypal and then into your oz account. If you're doing a reasonable sum of money it's supposedly worth the initial hassle of setting up the accounts. (Which I suppose isn't that much hassle either to be fair.)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

MB81 wrote: »
    Hi all just want to get a few opinions on this. So what does everyone think is the best method of taking money to oz with them when travelling from ireland, ill be away for the year.
    Thanks

I came over first I brought cash about $3000 (intention was to buy a car quickly) - carried it in 3 different bundles, then opened an account on the 3rd day I was there. I was naturally concerned about carrying that much cash if asked any questions at customs, as the bulk of it was in 20's! No probs anyway thankfully

Enjoy your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

You can carry up to $10k cash through customs I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Rabies wrote: »
    You can carry up to $10k cash through customs I think

10k undeclared. any amount after that but you have to declare it to customs

Advertisement