Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mac OSX - Importing RAW images

• 11-08-2009 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

Apologies if this was already discussed but a forum search returned nothing.

I recently (and finally) ditched my PC in favour of a mac and I'm looking for the best approach to importing RAW images from my camera. iPhoto appears to auto convert to jpg or tiff on import, and I seem to have lost my canon software disc that came with camera.

I'm a photoshop user so happy to process the raw images with that and don't really plan on changing to lightroom or aperture.

Has anyone any mac tips for importing raw images other than lightroom/aperture?

Thanks in advance,
    Ciarán

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've not used it in a while, but iPhoto should be able to import from the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

if you use photoshop i assume you also use bridge, why not use that for browsing and photoshop for processing

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ciaranhickey

Thanks Fajitas! iPhoto does import fine from the camera but also kindly does the raw conversion for you at the same time and outputs either a JPG or TIFF only, no direct CR2 file upload...

Unless I'm missing something with it (which is very possible - I'm new to Mac)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Ah - Didn't know that - I've never used it to import RAW's. Try Bridge so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eolair

OSX will happily convert RAWs for you, but you have no control over the process - Apple just integrated the freeware software DCRAW into the OS. So you get generic files, and little of the advantage of using RAW in the first place.

If you have PS, it too will do your RAWS. If your version of PS doesn't support your camera, you can download the free DMG converter, use that to convert the RAW to DMGs, then open the DMGs in photoshop.

IIRC Bibble Pro and some odd (but excellent) japanese sw will also do RAW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 ciaranhickey

Thanks stcstc - I do have Bridge and looks like it will do the job perfectly. I've never actually gone near Bridge until now and assumed it was mainly for syncing different Adobe applications!

And thanks eolair for the DMG conversion tips!

Ciarán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

lightroom works well on a mac. you can view any kind of raw file on osx in the preview app. and if u need u can convert them from there to jpeg, theres a little bit of stuff u can do to the file before conversion.

I generally copy over my flash card to new folder on my macv then open all the raw files in preview and then drag the good ones over to a new folder which is then imported to lightroom, saves me importing everything into lightroom and deleting the non keepers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I've always used a shell script. Brutally simple, but it has a single job:
    #!/bin/sh

IMPORTS=/Users/Account/Pictures/Imports
    PICDIR=$(date '+%Y-%m-%d')
    FLASH=/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL

cd $IMPORTS

mkdir $PICDIR && cd $PICDIR

for file in $(find $FLASH -iname "*.*")
    do 
         mv $file .
         echo "Moving $file to $(pwd)"