Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom phonebook & golden pages - what's the point?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

...for those of of us who have the interweb, that is.

The new ones arrived today, and I nearly pitched them straight in the recycling bin. Decided to reprieve them while I try to think of a use (or a recipient) for them. If I could tick a box & not get one, I would - and save all that paper & logistics.

While I'm on the subject, on the cover of the new Dublin phonebook isn't that montage of a spitfire in RAF livery flying over Dublin 1? Nice plane, and they did save us (well, my people, anyway, if not Ireland) from the Luftwaffe, but I imagine it'll cause offence to one or two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

If you have dual monitors, you can use both books (one under each monitor). ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Ehhh does this have any relevance to Nets & Comms?

OP I can move it to some other forum if you want.....

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭le_dazzler

iRock wrote: »
    If you have dual monitors, you can use both books (one under each monitor). ;):D

class ... i shall be stealing this line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'd say the phonebook will vanish in a few more years. In France, they were a couple of decades ahead of the rest of the world in this area, back in 1983 they handed out free Minitel terminals instead of paper phonebooks. It sparked a pre-internet online revolution in France.

It also makes more sense to have an electronic phonebook as otherwise you're only getting a snapshot of the database each time the book is published. So, you miss out on new businesses, can't find people if they've recently moved etc.

I also suspect Ireland must have one of the highest number of ex-directory phone numbers in Europe. There are very few people actually listed.

Advertisement