Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Australia Alone

Options
  • 12-08-2009 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi Guys,

I want your opinions if any. Thinking about heading on my own to Australia at the end of November initially for two months doing the usual backpacker stuff, then for the last month around February try and get some long term work, if i can't get any I'll probably head home. My questions.

Would you advise against/for backpacking alone??
    Am I picking the wrong time of year for backpacking??
    What are the realistic of chances of work in February, I'm fully qualified in IT with Degree and CCNA plus 6 months experience??

Any help would be much obliged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Go for it mate, you do only live once, if you have the time(a window to spare in your life to do something else for awhile).
    Been to Oz twice, second time by myself and once you reach heathrow its all real and you will feel your identity kicking in(relying on yourself).
    I am an engineer, well I was when I used to work. Heading over to Oz again next month for maybe 6 months, mainly a holiday and doing a few courses in other things, so I will have more work options available to me when I come back to Ireland.
    There are some other very good forums around which might help you in the your query about work.
    There is never a right or wrong time to go to Oz.

www.britishexpats.com
    www.gettingdownunder.com
    www.expatforum.com

The ole saying is true - if you never try, you will never know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Id say go for it but just remember it’s not cheap here at all, so bring as much money as you can. I would also say that if you go with your plan to travel around first and then try and find work I would suggest even when you’re traveling to look for work as you go and if you find something take it there and then and do the rest of your traveling after your contract ends. It took me longer to find work here then I had hoped and I nearly had to leave before I found anything so keep looking as you go or your trip may be a lot shorter then you plan it to be.

As for backpacking on your own from my own experience it has been amazing I’ve meet some great people along the way and made some really good friends. If you want to meet people as a solo backpacker you will. It also gives you the freedom to do what you want whenever you want as you don’t have to compromise with a companion because of what they want.

I would also suggest that you join the couch-surfers website I don’t know if you’ve heard about it but it is a great way to meet people and can be a good cheep way to find somewhere to stay. It doesn’t just offer couches for people to stay on in people’s homes but there are social events organized in most of major cities that people turn up to and meet other travels. Its really good for when you turn up in a strange place and don’t know anyone but fancy a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mate I came to Oz on my own near 5 years ago..... and I am still here.

He who dares wins Rodders ..............He who dares wins

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tonydatiger

Thanks for all the replies.

You've given me that push I was looking for!! Have spent the last 2 hours planning where to route my trip, going to start with Melbourne for 15-20 days then onto Syndey for another 15-20 days and then hit for brisbane and Cairns for most of the month of January. After here I will probably fly to Perth, if work is scare in the cities i've travelled through.

Don't feel as daunted about it as I was, for those of you who did travel alone at the start what problems did you encounter if any?? Also it appears like I'll be trying to live it up a bit for the first 2 months before finding work, my question is one everyone asks.... what kind of a budget would you need?? I'll probably be able to gather a budget of €4000 - €6500 for the trip, would this be enough or too much?? I do plan on staying in hostels mainly where possible plus I'm hoping to avail of the different day tours in each city.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Good on ya tonydatiger.
    4 - 6k could get maybe 4 or 5 months depending on what you are doing.
    If you can, open up an Oz account and transfer your money before you go, use a forex company to do the money transfer, they will get you better rates on your money to AUD, you could gain an extra couple of hundred AU dollars by transfer this way as opposed to the Irish banks.
    Did you book any flights yet?, if so was it on the net or travel agent?
    And if you did book flights, did you book return?
    Just wondering as I dont know about the return bit of the flights when I book i.e dont know a return date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Leem216

I am thinking of going to Oz myself, as none of my mates are interested too and I don't wanna waste a year as I am only out of college this year. I'm a qualified Pharmaceutical and Chemical Scientist and a Medicinal Chemist and I am just terrified if I go alone and meet nobody. Or how to plan it on my own like do I just get flights to say Sydney and then say ah two weeks from now im going to Brisbane? is there not like groups in Ireland for people like me that ya can travel with for people in the same boat that wanna do it but have nobody???? Any help will be appreciated cause by the looks of it I will end up not going?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Doc wrote: »
    Id say go for it but just remember it’s not cheap here at all, so bring as much money as you can.

Doc, you claimed everything was cheap here in my thread, what is it??
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055886673

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Doc, you claimed everything was cheap here in my thread, what is it??
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055886673

I claimed that things are cheaper then Ireland which they are but they are not as cheep as say South East Asia. The cost of living is less then Ireland but that doesn’t mean that its really cheap as Ireland is expensive. I traveled around Asia for 5 months on next to nothing and spent the same amount in 1 in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I came back from doing the east coast with my mate two weeks ago. I can absolutely tell you that going it alone is extremely common as I met loads of people doing it. Loads of hot women doing it alone too believe it or not!

If you want you could do the Oz Experience to do the east coast, or a Mojo surf tour from Sydney - Byron, you're in a big group and seems like a good way to do it. I got a campervan and used the greyhound bus which are the bus eireann of oz, but even they were pretty much solely used by backpackers. It seems like Jan/Feb onwards is a good time to do it as everyone heads up the coast once winter begins to set in down south. Every town, hostel, activity was packed and brilliant fun.

Do the east coast first, meet a load of people, hook up with them again in Perth. Easy. Done. Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Would you advise against/for backpacking alone??
    Do it!
    Am I picking the wrong time of year for backpacking??
    you'll be coming into their summer. It gets kinds warm in january. no wrong time though.
    What are the realistic of chances of work in February
    Good enough i'd say. I'd be inclined to agree with the general consensus though, backpacker jobs while you're moving around. In the event you want to stay longer (2nd WHV) you'll need 88 days of bullsh!t work. May as well get them out of the way and see the country at the same time. Addidionally, i noticed aussie empoyers were more willing to employ you after you'd already been employed by some aussie employer in the past. So the backpacker work my do you additional favours.
    I'm fully qualified in IT with Degree and CCNA plus 6 months experience??
    i've never had too much trouble getting helpdesk jobs. they'll be the easiest to get at first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Going it alone is definitely the best way to go. You'll meet lots of like minded people along the way in either hostels or on gumtree. I've almost done a full loop of Oz with relative strangers. Pretty much all ads on gumtree offering lifts. Great fun getting to know more people and its fairly fuss free and easy going (washing up is usually the annoying part).

Wouldn't plan too much if I were you, things change, weather, cars break down, shortage of cash might force you to work. You'd be surprised how expensive the east coast is.

As for the weather, go up north in the winter and do your regional work then swam around down south for the summer.

Go for it though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

meant to add, look at http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail for the harvest jobs. Should be able to search crops, towns and the months for it all. Might help you decide what direction you move in!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rediguana25

Well I definitely think you should do it and that's because I've just decided to do it myself!!
    Also someone mentioned there are loads of girls traveling alone too- great to know there are lots more like me out there!
    Listen - I've just come to realise that if you're thinking of doing something like this then you need to do it..it's an itch that needs to be scratched and really I don't think it will go away until you've done just that! Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

Hi,

I say do it. I'm going alone to melbourne on a work visa at the end of august. I'm nervous but i do know a few ppl over there who i could meet up with.

You can't sit around waiting for other people to be in a position to go with you. If the time is right just do it. The easiest way to meet friends and talk to people is alone.

Hope you go for it,

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

bobbi wrote: »
    Hi,

I say do it. I'm going alone to melbourne on a work visa at the end of august. I'm nervous but i do know a few ppl over there who i could meet up with.

You can't sit around waiting for other people to be in a position to go with you. If the time is right just do it. The easiest way to meet friends and talk to people is alone.

Hope you go for it,

:D

Too right! In fact, better to go by yourself - you never know who you're going to meet or where you'll end up or what you'll end up doing - this is probably not the case if you go with a mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Hey guys. I'm also traveling alone to Australia in the end of October start of November. I'm both very excited, but also very nervous as well. I haven't chosen which city I'm going to start off at yet. Any ideas on where would be best to start off at?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Id say any of the main cities would be fine. It also depends on what type of people you want to meet. Some people want to totally avoid the Irish when they get over. Hostels are a great place to start off..maybe stay a week or two..you would meet a lot of people..great contacts etc. Also the Irish pubs and football/hurling/camogie clubs are a great contact point. Also if you go on any of the tourist sight tours you will meet many other people who are travelling on their own.. a lot of Asians and Germans especially.
    Going on your own is a bit scary but a great way to travel too. You will meet a lot more people as you are forced to get out and make contacts. You get to do what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

Fair play to you, I worked with a girl who went travelling on her own around south america then over to Oz for a year...personally I would'nt be able to last that long but she had a ball. Just be careful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Would anyone know the best place for fruit picking/farming work? When I get to Australia I hope to get a job in that industry the way I'll have it done for when applying for the 2nd year visa if I last that long hopefully I will. Any information would be greatly appericated.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

I travelled to Oz alone last year. Had an fantastic time and met some wonderful people. Just go for it and have an amazing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    Would anyone know the best place for fruit picking/farming work? When I get to Australia I hope to get a job in that industry the way I'll have it done for when applying for the 2nd year visa if I last that long hopefully I will. Any information would be greatly appericated.

Fruitpicking and farming is like anywhere, winter is going to be the harshest time but in saying that, it was near 30 degrees in Broome on the west coast yesterday while in the south east it was a baltic 10! If you can handle the weather you'll get the work. Victoria and South Australia are massive dairy farm areas and there's no real experience needed. Its not overly tough work, just as long as you don't mind being up at a silly hour of the morning with frost and the like.

Don't let that put you off though. I've just got my second year visa and already told my boss I'll do another few weeks. The harvest trail website is the one to stick with for all that kind of work but I do warn you, fruit picking is best avoided. I know its the same with any place, anywhere... but there's a lot of sharks in the fruit picking game who'll hire you and put you through torture (i.e waiting weeks for payment, working for the same money as illegal Asian immigrants earn).

Theres a phone number too: 1300 724 788
    Its a hotline that you can ring and tell them what state your in, what kind of work your looking for and that kind of info and they should be able to find you somewhere, somewhere legit too.

The most important thing I'd say is, do your visa work as soon as you can. I've met so many people who are stuck for work and with so little time left, they'll work for anyone or anything. Get started early and if you absolutely hate it, you can move on with the luxury of having time on your side.

Somebody else mentioned something about having to work 88 days. This only applies in some cases. The basic requirement for the second year WHV is three months seasonal work, in regional areas. So its the fruitpicking/farming/labouring in areas outside cities except Adelaide (I don't know why but Adelaide is ok to work in for your visa). The 88 days thing crops up if you change employer. So if you can find a job and stay in it, three months will suffice. If you leave thats when it gets tricky. Your 88 days can become a bother because you may have an employer who'll only give you 4 or 5 days per week so you could possibly end up working for 4 or more months.

If farmwork interests you, and if you have any notions about coming to Victoria, pm me and I can give you some more info. The hostel I'm in will do a lot of the job searching for you so you basically have to turn up. One massive advantage, if you can afford it, is a car. Some jobs will be 15/20 min drives from hostels so having a car can win you a job regularly.

Cars aren't overly expensive either. A friend of mine bought a Nissan Pulsar last week for $800 and had to spend about $500 to get it roadworthy. As I say, if you need any more info, give a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

Hi all, Im heading to oz at the end of Sept and I am sooooooo nervous about it, but its just something I really wanna do. The job situation is scary tho ha ha, wonder would a law degree help in securing work??

ladd19 wrote: »
    Hi all, Im heading to oz at the end of Sept and I am sooooooo nervous about it, but its just something I really wanna do. The job situation is scary tho ha ha, wonder would a law degree help in securing work??

Depends on what kind of work you are going to be looking for? Anything, or any area in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

Anything in the legal area basically, the way the climate is I gotta try my best to keep my degree alive and I only have it like a month ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 woolie09

Hey guys, 23yr old guy here, out of college a year and thinking of moving to Oz with a work and travel visa on my own, around Oct/Nov 2012. I know its been debated here already but i am excited about going (unfortunately no-one else i know will be in a position to go, and everyone i know over there will be on the way home, sucks!), but some days i flake a little and question whether i will be able to cope alone. Im not new to travelling, but never alone. Its exciting setting out into the unknown in a way, and i might do me some good to be fully indepent, but the last thing i want is to end up being lonely!!

Have many people gone on there own and how have they found it? Also just reading the thread, maybe it is best to start with farm work and get it out of the way. I really want to spend some settled time in Sydney aswell ( although by all accounts its expensive), and then the rest of my time do the whole east coast backpacker thing. Anybody have any tips, warnings or experiences they would like to share?

Even better yet, is there anyone who will be in the same situation as me come Oct/Nov 2012? could be moral support for each other haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Well I came over with my sister and her boyfriend,But if I could do it again id go by myself, Its harder to make friends when your part of a group cause you dont try as hard hence why im leaving them for alice springs next feb

Do it man!

Heard something interesting on the radio this morning. Essentially the person they had on was talking about the regrets people have at the end of the year/at Christmas, and when they did surveys they found that people always talked about things that they did - e.g. things they shouldn't have said, rows they shouldn't have had with people, etc.

But when people are asked in the later stages of their lives what it is they regret, it's about omission - things they didn't do. The chances they could have taken, opportunities passed up...

Far better to regret doing something (and be able to learn from the experience and grow as a result), than to regret not doing something - where you really just have regret, and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 colm1988

woolie09 wrote: »
    Hey guys, 23yr old guy here, out of college a year and thinking of moving to Oz with a work and travel visa on my own, around Oct/Nov 2012. I know its been debated here already but i am excited about going (unfortunately no-one else i know will be in a position to go, and everyone i know over there will be on the way home, sucks!), but some days i flake a little and question whether i will be able to cope alone. Im not new to travelling, but never alone. Its exciting setting out into the unknown in a way, and i might do me some good to be fully indepent, but the last thing i want is to end up being lonely!!

Have many people gone on there own and how have they found it? Also just reading the thread, maybe it is best to start with farm work and get it out of the way. I really want to spend some settled time in Sydney aswell ( although by all accounts its expensive), and then the rest of my time do the whole east coast backpacker thing. Anybody have any tips, warnings or experiences they would like to share?

Even better yet, is there anyone who will be in the same situation as me come Oct/Nov 2012? could be moral support for each other haha.

Im heading on my own in Feb and cant wait! Heard that its much easyer to make new mates and not fall into the DRINK YOUR WAGES AWAY group :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 woolie09

Ya i'm definately up for it, i guess its just that difficult few weeks at the beginning where you have to try to meet people im worried about. You'll never know unless you try anyhow.

Colm 1988 you can be a 'test case' for the thread, can motivate the rest of us with stories of how great it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 colm1988

woolie09 wrote: »
    Colm 1988 you can be a 'test case' for the thread, can motivate the rest of us with stories of how great it is!
    Will do:D:cool:

Advertisement