Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Australia Alone

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LunarEclipse83

I am def going, waiting on passport to come back (expires in June 2012) and then will apply for Visa. I was planning on going in April of this year. I'm really excited at the thoughts of going all the same but I just wish that some of my friends were able to go so that I would have someone to experience it with you know? Your right though alot of ppl seem to be going on their own so doesn't make the idea seem so insane lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ais77

No not insane at all! I don't doubt that I'd meet people - I'm sure I'll meet plenty of new friends along the way. I think it's the times when you're homesick or upset, or in trouble...and need someone is what worries me. I lived in Belgium on Erasmus and could just ring home but when you're 12/13 hours ahead it's not as easy!!

BUT I don't want to put a downer on it. It's so exciting just thinking about the things to do, places to go, people to meet. And it's good you can come on here and share the excitement cause that's part of the fun too, planning etc :D

Yeah I know what you mean. That's why it would be nice to share the experience with someone you know because they will probably be going through exactly the same thing as you as regards to being homesick and that. I have no doubt that we will make plenty of friends along the way but it would be nice to have someone to travel out there with, just a little but of comfort at the start :) So much planning to do, can't wait to finally have my visa so then its just to decide what date to set out. Do you have any ideas of where you would like to go to in Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

Hey guys, what is the best way to go about applying for a 1 year WHV? Should I go through usit or am I better off getting the visa, insurance, flights and bank account myself?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 skyboy87

hey lunar
    im headin over in march/april by myself on WHV iv no flights booked yet but have money n visa pm me if u want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Tandey wrote: »
    Hey guys, what is the best way to go about applying for a 1 year WHV? Should I go through usit or am I better off getting the visa, insurance, flights and bank account myself?

Thanks

Do it yourself definitely.

Me and a friend of mine did it at the same time and we're leaving the same time (not going together though) and the visa and flight cost me €220 less than her. Bank accounts are free and you can do them online.

Well I am applying for my Visa through VISAFIRST. I just find it handier, they will set up a bank a.c and work number for you when you arrive. When are all of ye thinking of heading over? What travel agency did you go through to get flights Noo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Heading over in April on my own.

Brisbane or Perth is the dilemma.

Have friends in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

Heading to Melbourne on sunday on my own. Found the whole process of getting ready pretty easy. WHV from the aus website, €200 euro and half an hour later visa granted, booked a one way flight through travel agent for €600 and bought insurance with multitrip, set my bank account up last week and have all my account details so can transfer money before I go.

For now its a case of hopping on the plane and hoping that I can find some work in my degree area, if not I'll hit the bars and shops and try for some there.

Yeah I was thinking of travelling to Perth first as I know someone over there. Im also thinking of going in April. Fancy a travel buddy over lol? I'm more worried about flying out on my own to be honest :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 elle19

great to get all the info...thank guys!:)I was planning to travel to Sydney in March with a friend, but she has now deferred until June or July- thinking of doing it alone but its a bit scary!!and having thoughts that I am too old for lone travel (close to 30). I really am considering taking on the adventure on especially when I hear of so many others doing it...but would love advice on location to settle- is Melbourne a good place and is there many jobs in HR?!!

You are def not too old. I am turning 29 this year so I may be just biased. I was hoping to start in Sydney and travel up the East Coast and then settle in either Perth or Melbourne but I don't know anyone in Sydney but lots of ppl are telling me you will meet up with other lone backpackers in hostels and that. Melbourne is back to be very laid back & have heards lots of good things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Well I am applying for my Visa through VISAFIRST. I just find it handier, they will set up a bank a.c and work number for you when you arrive. When are all of ye thinking of heading over? What travel agency did you go through to get flights Noo?

I booked my flight through the airline. My friend did her visa from an agency and i did it through the immigration website. It cost her €120 more! The whv is way too easy to apply for to pay someone else that much to do it. Bank account and tax number are free and can both be got online. Getting a whv through an agency is a complete waste of money in my opinion.

Edit: just read manlads post, pretty much doing the same as him. And i told you a lie, i booked my flights through lastminute.ie now that i think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Advice on the forum is not to use any company to set up a WHV for you - it is not easier for the $ they charge.

The forum you fill out on VF WHV form has the same data as the WHV, you can set up a bank account for free in Ireland and work number is free and can only apply when in Australia https://iar.ato.gov.au/iarweb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1
    also a SIM card in Australia will cost you $2 for a pay as you go.

The visa fee is $270 (218Euro) VF charge 285Euro ... If anyone wants to pay extra 67Euro for stuff you can easily do yourself then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Recession Buster

Thanks Hussey, Followed that link for the Work number.It says I need an address is Austraila to send the number to, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Thanks Hussey, Followed that link for the Work number.It says I need an address is Austraila to send the number to, is this true?

Yeah ususally people send it to either their mate's place for a hostel they will be staying in (just tell the hostel before hand)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Recession Buster

Perfect , I'll assume the same works for the bank account.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wwwclaireyie

Hey Guys, I am planning on going to Oz in June so I can get my tax back half way through the year. Going on my own but I no a few people over there already mega scared but not sure where to plan the trip. I work with disabilities, have childcare qualifications behind me and a finished college soon hopefully with an Emergency medical technician qualification. Any advice for girls on there own and the safest way possible? Does everyone work first then head traveling or what way does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Tax year in oz finishes end of June, it used to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wwwclaireyie

Yeah I think your right but I was gonna claim the tax off the job im in now in Ireland. Any advice for me going over on my own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Yeah I think your right but I was gonna claim the tax off the job im in now in Ireland. Any advice for me going over on my own?

Not sure if it would be your idea of doing it, but, save some money up, book a hostel in a city of your choice for a week and see what happens. Its what I did and it worked out fairly right so far (here since august)

Made great friends in the hostel I was in, then, as noone wanted to move on when I did, I just bought a car and headed on up the east coast on a whim, now I'm in central qld after doing a little bit of regional work, going to move on further up towards cairns and see if I can find some more. As the Aussies say its "too easy mate"

No reason to be scared at all, plenty of great people about to make friends with, and lots of opportunities if you are assertive and willing to take a few chances..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

I'm just back from Aus I went alone but met up with a few friends for the first few months but travelled the next year and a half on my own really, my advice is just go the place is great and unless your socially retarded you be fine, as they say in Strayla mate "she'll be right"

Advertisement