Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question

Options
  • 12-08-2009 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Can you insure, tax etc a car in Oz - Western Oz using your full Irish driving license?
    If you can, is there any insurance company In Oz that will recognize your No Claims Bonus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Not too sure about that I think you can but if you have your Full irish License for four years you cn apply for an Aus license.Well in Victoria you can anyway not too sure about NSW etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

My Irish license is in the car, pretty sure without checking it, was about 3 to 4 years ago when I passed my test.

Do you know Gilington of any Insurance companies there that recognize the Irish No claims bonus? I have around 8 years on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

The rego on cars in WA is your tax. I wouldn't advise buying a car that the rego has run out in because you will need to put it over the pits to get checked out before you can re-rego it. Similar to the NCT back home, if you never let the rego run out you will never need to put it over the pits.

Once you have the rego its give's basic insurance cover. Think its 3rd party medical. ie, if your in a crash the other persons medical bills are covered but not the damage to their car.

Not sure what the story is with insurance on an irish license is but its easy to get an Australian licence, just bring your irish licence to the motor office, fill out a form and pay some money.

Check out Trident Insurance - 0892028000. Friends used them and said was cheap enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I just mailed AAMI insurance asking if Irish licence affects premium I was quoted ($120 p/a) and they replied as follows:

"AAMI does not differentiate where you obtained your driver's licence when calculating your Rating/No Claim Bonus. Your international licence will not affect your policy in any manner, provided the governing Motor Authority in your state, (Victoria Roads, Road Transport Authority or Queensland Transport Authority, etc) has recognised your license as a valid to drive on Australian roads.

If they have not accepted your license, therefore you do not have a valid license to drive, AAMI will not provide cover for any accidents that may occur. Please confirm with the relevant authority to confirm your driving status."

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

So does this mean I can insure and drive in Oz with my Irish license?

Thank for replys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

I've been driving over here for about 2 months or so, on my Full Irish License - Never a problem. I think after 4/5 months of being here you have to (technically) get a territory license. NSW/VIC/WA etc..

The rego on my car is $600 P/A - includes basic 3rd party insurance. I've 5 years NCD with Hibernian at home - not recognised here unfortunately.

Advertisement