Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Tats

Options
  • 12-08-2009 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I have 1 tattoo and I'm getting a second soon. I'm not really into the tattoo scene as such.

I live in swords and I popped into Stigmata to get a price (and see if they could do what I want) and I was told it was a 100 an hour.

I rem other people going elsewhere and getting 80 an hour.
    That said Stigmata has a good rep and is near me

What would the general per hour rate be? Is 100 expensive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

100 seems to be the average hourly rate these days, 150 is the most expensive i've heard of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

im from limerick and ive never been charged by the hour for me it always went by the complexity of the tattoo how big and how much colour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

same as above! i hate that hour lark, could easily take they're sweet arse time doing that tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭blacon9

Well the artist would evaluate the complexity, size, colours etc, and decide in their head how long it would take them, and charge the price based on that.

So in the end they're always charging for time really.

I got one in colourworks today for €130, and i thiiiink i was in there for just under an hour and a half. So 100 an hour sounds about right.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

tbh tattoo prices are one thing i dont mind paying high amounts for (within reason). it's gona be on ya for quite a while so best to be happy with the service :) Stigmata do have a good rep,i use them myself, as recently as last friday. and the service and staff are top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Numanoid817

I went to price a tattoo in Cork today. To be honest i got a bit of a shock when i was quoted €120. :eek: I'm only looking for a simple text tat with the names and DOB'S of my 2 daughters...nothing fancy - no colours or fancy text. Is €120 a little OTT or does it sound right. From the talk on here it seems that €100 an hour seems to be normal and i'm sure what i want would take no more than 20 mins. I was told that i'd be waiting 2 weeks for a booking as well...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

2 names and 2 dates would prob take longer than 20 mins I would think, either way, the artist has to set up and clean down etc as you're aware so most just charge their hourly rate, whatever that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Numanoid817

So is it a fair price then?? It just seems a bit expensive to me. I had one done about 5 yrs ago which was a lot more complex and it cost €110. I know it's been a while and i do appreciate the set up - clean down. i was thinking maybe €70 - €80 tops.
    Thanks for your info tho..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dingdong1

120 sounds about right. script on the wrist is generally around the 70-80 mark for a name/word. text has to be done a certain size so it holds up over time, so theres not much point doing it microscopic for a bargin price - which any decent studio won't do anyway[it will end up looking $hit]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

So is it a fair price then?? It just seems a bit expensive to me. I had one done about 5 yrs ago which was a lot more complex and it cost €110. I know it's been a while and i do appreciate the set up - clean down. i was thinking maybe €70 - €80 tops.
    Thanks for your info tho..

Fair is a relative term I supppose, you could most likely get it done cheaper with a different artist(around the 80 to 100 mark) thats not to say the tattoo you'd get for 120 would be any better, maybe shop around. 120 IMO, would be the higher end of the scale for tattooing for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement