Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about joining my local Musical Society

Options
  • 12-08-2009 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭

Just found out that my area has one of these. I've always wanted to be in a musical. I'm a great singer but have no experience with acting or dancing (well, not since I was a kid). I'm going to contact the place soon and find out what the story is but I was just wondering, in general, do these societies take on beginners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I'm pretty sure they do! I know a couple of people in them and they started out without any drama or dance knowledge.

I mean there's the likes of Rathmines/Rathgar where the standard is incredibly high and they're very serious about it but I don't know of any others that are that strict.

I'd be the same as you, a singer with very little acting behind me and a little bit of dance from years ago. I keep meaning to get around to joining one...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pubgirl

Just looking at your location "Thenevin"

If you are referring to Glasnevin Musical Society, I know for sure they will take you of course. They do have a pretty high standard but even one year in the chorus will give you a better idea of what is required in Musical Theatre.

Glasnevin do a couple of concerts also every year and people from different Musical societies all over go audition. They should be doing one at Chrismtas so go see it and have a chat to someone there.

ALL Musical societies (except Rathmines/Rathgar) will take on beginners. It is a hobby after all and a GREAT one at that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Pubgirl wrote: »
    Just looking at your location "Thenevin"

If you are referring to Glasnevin Musical Society, I know for sure they will take you of course. They do have a pretty high standard but even one year in the chorus will give you a better idea of what is required in Musical Theatre.

Glasnevin do a couple of concerts also every year and people from different Musical societies all over go audition. They should be doing one at Chrismtas so go see it and have a chat to someone there.

ALL Musical societies (except Rathmines/Rathgar) will take on beginners. It is a hobby after all and a GREAT one at that!!!

Brilliant. Thanks a million for that. I'll give them a call soon and find out how to go about joining. I'm really excited about it. I absolutely love to sing and have been in bands and did a music performace course etc. but I've always wanted to be in a musical. It seems like so much fun. Can't wait now!

Ok, so I contacted my local MSoc and they're holding auditions in a few weeks. Anyone know what this might entail? Is singing enough? Will I have to act or dance? I've emailed them to find out already but just thought I'd see if people here might give me some ideas...

Generally it should involve you simply singing a prepared song though in some cases they may ask you on the day to sing a song of their choosing.

Don't do what I did and use this as your song of choice

While they didn't ask me to join I did win a bet with some friends.

• Advertisement

I got in anyway and am currently rehearsing for our production of Showstoppers in the Concert Hall at Christmas time so thanks for all of the advice and encouragement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

oooh well done hun!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pubgirl

Ah thats brilliant!!

They are a lovely crowd and you'll have a ball!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Good luck LadyJ, I'm pretty sure I know alot of the folks in Glasnevin and they are a great bunch! I'm currently doing Carmen with Lyric opera and I think there are a few nevin peeps doing it.

Advertisement