Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caramel Squares Recipe

Options
  • 12-08-2009 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has a good recipe for caramel squares?? I've been trying out recipes for a while now and none of them seem to work quite right:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Faith posted a bitchin' one in the Cake & Pie forum the other day:

Base:

200g plain flour
    150g butter
    75g castor sugar

Caramel:

1 tin condensed milk
    2 tablespoons golden syrup
    110g soft brown sugar
    110g butter

Chocolate:

200g milk or dark chocolate.

Method:

1. Cream the butter and sugar. Add in flour until it almost resembles breadcrumbs (you may need to rub in the flour, but I did it all in a machine last time and it was perfect).
    2. Spread base mixture onto a tin (roughly 28cm x 18cm) covered with parchment or greaseproof paper. It can take a bit of work to get the whole tin covered, but stick at it!
    3. Pop base into a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for about 20 minutes, or until lightly brown.
    4. While the base is cooling, melt the rest of the butter in a saucepan and add the condensed milk, sugar and syrup. Stir continuously and well (it'll burn and stick otherwise). Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes. To test if it's done, put a dollop onto a plate and leave for a few minutes to check if it sets.
    5. Spread caramel over the base and leave to cool.
    6. When the caramel is set, melt your chocolate and spread on top. Leave to cool and set in the fridge.
    7. Cut up into pieces and enjoy!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks Malari, was just about to link to it! Yeah, that recipe is awesome. I get nothing but compliments for it. It's especially good if you like a thin base with a mega thick layer of caramel.

/edit: Hmm, 6,000th post. Well spent, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 E_DOR_90

thanks a mill:D....i'm gonna try that one 2day..woo hoo:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Faith wrote: »
    Thanks Malari, was just about to link to it! Yeah, that recipe is awesome. I get nothing but compliments for it. It's especially good if you like a thin base with a mega thick layer of caramel.

/edit: Hmm, 6,000th post. Well spent, I think.

And I do! Nummy.

:D

Advertisement