Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscail BA Literature & History

Options
  • 12-08-2009 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im starting my degree in literature & history in september. Cant wait, hoping it will go well for me.

Was just wondering if anybody is starting this course or if anybody is doing it / has done it, could you pass on any information please?

thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Oscail doesn't really have a great reputation...personally i'd cancel and go with the Open University.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I am half way through Oscail's Humanities BA. I'm doing History and Sociology and have had no problems with Oscail. I've enjoyed the past 3 years and I am glad I started. It's a bit daunting at first, especially if you have been away from education for a while. I spend somewhere between 15-20 hours on my course work. My advice would be to keep up reading the course units, check out your assignments first, that way you can gear your reading towards your assignments. I'm not sure how the foundation modules work now, they have changed since I started, but you can be assured that help is only an email away. Just take it all one step at a time and you will enjoy it.
    Best of luck. Feel free to PM me if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

thanks a mill jos28/ Just got my study guide on friday so just waiting on the rest of the course materials and away I go! Looking forward to history more so than the english! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

eth0_ wrote: »
    Oscail doesn't really have a great reputation...personally i'd cancel and go with the Open University.

That's only for the IT degree though because it needs to be updated. The BA in humanities is supposed to be excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

pathway33 wrote: »
    That's only for the IT degree though because it needs to be updated. The BA in humanities is supposed to be excellent

Glad to hear that, Pathway. I was beginning to fear that all my hard work was for nothing. Don't fancy spending all that time and money on a crap degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 snowbird2006

Hi,
    I completed the foundation modules in Hist, Psychology and Sociology last year and I found it really interesting, tough but manageable! It is a bit daunting at first and it is a huge undertaking but there is support, advice and encouragment from both the staff and fellow students all the way.
    3 modules was definitely too much for my first year so I'm just doing 2 this year. Hope to spend about 20 hours a week studying.
    My advice is make out a timetable for the year and try to stick to it. Get the groundwork and reading done for the assignments as soon as you get them and don't fall behind in your normal studying to get the assignments done. Oh and attend as many of the tutorials as you can, they really are invaluable to assignments and especially towards exam time.

Best of luck with the studies!

Also I have some Hist1 books for sale, let me know if you're interested

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Glory

Hello there,
    I've finished the foundation module in Lit and Hist last year and found it really interesting. I'm doing 3 modules this year and hope to go on to do my H Dip when I finish. My only problem is the price seems to be increasing every year and it is over priced as it is.
    Make out a timetable and stick to it and don't leave your assignments to the last minute(like me!!).
    Good Luck!!

Advertisement