Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just saw a car break its front axle

Options
  • 12-08-2009 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

at McGreals' corner coming off the Ballybanemore road (that link road that goes between Dunnes Briarhill and McGreals running parallel to the Monivea road)

I was out just before 7 with the puppy when this car comes bombing down the road, clearly ignoring the newly painted "SLOW" road markings (the markings are 100m back so it didn't cause him to skid out) and the fact that the roads are sweaty.

Terrible crunching noise, driver doesn't even get out to inspect the damage, tries to drive off... nope, not happening.

Anyway, just letting ye know that they're not kidding when they say they don't want you bombing down that narrow, poorly surfaced road like it's a goddamn rally. I just wish they'd stick a garda at the bottom of the hill... it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Wasnt an old black astra by any chance ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Nah, through bleary eyes all I saw was a burgundy saloon with no wheel covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Xiney wrote: »
    Nah, through bleary eyes all I saw was a burgundy saloon with no wheel covers.

Phew :rolleyes:

just i work with a mad lad in work who lives up near there

and drives like a lunatic most times :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I have seen some horrific driving on that stretch especially recently, was nearly hit by a guy who came speeding down that road only a few weeks ago. Some serious eegits around. Hear cars skidding and breaking at all hours in the ballybrit area too and it sounds pretty scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

My Ftaher has been on to the city council for months now trying to get them to put some speed ramps on that road as my family have lived there for nearly 30 years so they see the terrible speeding on a daily basis. He said he may as well be talking to a brick wall. They told him that they don't have any money...even though, as he pointed out to them, they are currently widening it (so that cars can even go faster :rolleyes:) so would it not be easy just to put 2 or 3 ramps in now while the workers are there. No joy with them as expected

A stray horse which belonged to the travelling community was recently killed on this road when it was hit by a car. Cars should not be travelling at such speeds that they cannot react to unexpected things like this. Hopefully the driver was done for dangerous driving and hopefully the owners of the poor horse were done for neglect and animal cruelty.

• Advertisement

Aw ****. They were at the top of the hill alright. Guess the gardai didn't get there fast enough.

I had wondered if I should go up there and try to warn the cars myself (maybe with a flag or something at the side of the road) but I don't know ANYTHING about horses and wouldn't be comfortable even walking past one that was roaming free, especially as this one was a mother with her foal.

I feel awful now :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

OP FYI cars dont have a front axle.

Jetski

well, whatever the car's front wheels turn on then, since the wheel was turned in and all.

*doesn't own a car*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Another accident at the same spot this morning (McGreals corner at the bottom of the road). Guy must have been flying down the hill at speed and didn't make the turn, mounted the footpath and buried his front end in the lamp post. Bonnet well crumpled and bumper smashed in, write off I would say. No one hurt though, he was out of the car and chatting on the phone when I came past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

I'd have no pity for the stupid fucker. The amount of people who come flying down that road, and take that corner so badly. If you're coming onto that road from the Monivea Rd. it can be really dangerous. I've had to pull right over to the extreme left a few times to avoid being crashed into by people who would be well over the white line if there was one there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bazjnr

jetski wrote: »
    OP FYI cars dont have a front axle.

Jetski

Of course they have a front axle!!!! Its a transaxle combining the transmission and front axle into a single unit. The driving axle being a split axle with a differential and universal joints between the two half axles connected to the wheels by use of CV joints which allows the wheel assemblies to move freely vertically as well as to pivot when making turns. Sounds like a front axle to me.

FYI Jetski!!!!!!!!!!:P

Advertisement