Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambay Island

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The island has a massive history. Bronze and Iron age artifacts have been found there, it's been documented in maps from ancient Greece, used as a prision.

There is a wealth of information online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

A couple of mentions of Lambay in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055628544

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

silverharp wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the family that live there
    The family that own only visit it occasionally. The 2 people who live there full time are employees (male and female) who look after the house, land and livestock. (They have a page to themselves in the Dublin Electoral Register! ;))

Post and other small provisions are brought daily from Rush. Larger items such as cattle, sheep, farm machinery etc. come and go via Howth harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Amazing place. Have been on it a few times many years ago.

Bluetonic just tipped on it there. There is a possibility it was once linked to Drummanagh. The Drummanagh is situated between Rush and Loughshinny. Dr and Mrs Kelly are the current inhabitants along with some farm workers. There is still a fairly decent farm over there. It is also quite an important nesting coloney now and I believe the people there now have done a lot of work on it. Dont know a lot about the history but it was owened by Lord Revelstoke or Rupert Baring of that famous london banking family...... Remember Nick Leeson Rogue Trader:).

Rupert Baring was related to the Queen so there have been some important visitors there over the years. Bryan Ferry stayed there about 15 - 20 years ago when he was playing in Dublin. The Island is served by the Shamrock ferry from Rogerstown pier in Rush.

If you contact the editor of Rush Community news he would be able to give you plenty of info on the Island or Fr. Kit Sheridan a local historian is amazing to listen to talking about the Island.

I think The government should C.P.O it for the enjoyment of all the people not just the elite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Leo, I figure youre as good a man as any to ask, but do they seriously have wallabees over there?

I heard Dublin Zoo had a problem with over-population in the 80s and off loaded a few there, after which, nature obviously took its course, haha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    Leo, I figure youre as good a man as any to ask, but do they seriously have wallabees over there?

I heard Dublin Zoo had a problem with over-population in the 80s and off loaded a few there, after which, nature obviously took its course, haha.

they do - I have seen this with mine own eyes, and even have video footage somewhere. It wasn't over-population, it was foot and mouth in the 70's - they put the wallabies on the Island and they bred. It's all true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

LeoB wrote: »
    I think The government should C.P.O it for the enjoyment of all the people not just the elite.

I'd agree with that , it would seem to have the potential to be a Dublin version of Garnish.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

tbh wrote: »
    they do - I have seen this with mine own eyes, and even have video footage somewhere. It wasn't over-population, it was foot and mouth in the 70's - they put the wallabies on the Island and they bred. It's all true :)

Yeah, I've seen them too. I camped over there with the scouts about 10 years ago. I think there were only supposed to be on the island for a short period in a pen but they just set them loose. Seem to be living very happily there now. Very shy though!

Scroll down to just over half way down this page in the link. Its a really cool satellite image of the island, ya can zoom in and all that, its pretty recent too :)

http://www.inyourfootsteps.com/viewHarbour.php?ID=76

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Welcome to Google Maps, they've only been around the last few years ;)

http://maps.google.com/

Lambay

• Advertisement

OH MY GOD I CAN SEE MY HOUSE FROM UP HERE!

sorry, haha. Does anyone know if you need permission to get on the island? or can ya just.. ya know, go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

silverharp wrote: »
    I'd agree with that , it would seem to have the potential to be a Dublin version of Garnish.

Don't get this. Why should they CPO someone's private property just because it's scenic? People live there and it's farmed. It's owned by a family. This statement makes as much sense as saying that I want to CPO your house because it's nicer than mine and by using it and not sharing it with me you're being elitist and selfish.

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    OH MY GOD I CAN SEE MY HOUSE FROM UP HERE!

sorry, haha. Does anyone know if you need permission to get on the island? or can ya just.. ya know, go there.

if you try and land without permission, you may hear a shotgun blast :)
    Deffo can't just land out there.

Unshelved wrote: »
    Don't get this. Why should they CPO someone's private property just because it's scenic? People live there and it's farmed. It's owned by a family. This statement makes as much sense as saying that I want to CPO your house because it's nicer than mine and by using it and not sharing it with me you're being elitist and selfish.

The reason I think it should be in the hands of the state is quite simple,
    1) How did they come to own it?
    2) It would be a huge asset to Fingal as an interpretative centre to be enjoyed by everyone not just the elite.

I have never thought of Lambay Island as anything other than an asset of the the country and belonging to the Irish people.

BTW I didnt agree with Mr Haughey and his Island either. This is not quite the same as putting a C.P.O on a field. Every Island within our waters should be the sole property of the people of Ireland.

As for getting on the Island you need to write to the Dr. and Mrs Kelly. I have heard people have been met with a shotgun at the pier There used to be some sort of open day years ago but from what I hear a certain sailing club (not Rush) had a picnic on it and left the place in a mess.

However if you are out in your boat and get into trouble under marine law they cant stop you from mooring up. Dont ask me to quote the law just heard this being discussed one night.

BTW The estate Knockabawn is name after the highest point on the Island and there is a house named after a famous rock on the Island Carraigaduisch, not sure of spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Apparently Lost was filmed on Lambay Island.

2) It would be a huge asset to Fingal as an interpretative centre to be enjoyed by everyone not just the elite.

I have never thought of Lambay Island as anything other than an asset of the the country and belonging to the Irish people.

BTW I didnt agree with Mr Haughey and his Island either. This is not quite the same as putting a C.P.O on a field. Every Island within our waters should be the sole property of the people of Ireland.

it's no different to any other land, it's just surrounded by water. In fairness, if it were owned by fingal co. co. I'd say it wouldn't be in as good condition as it is now.
    As for getting on the Island you need to write to the Dr. and Mrs Kelly. I have heard people have been met with a shotgun at the pier There used to be some sort of open day years ago but from what I hear a certain sailing club (not Rush) had a picnic on it and left the place in a mess.

I was met with a shotgun. And I was expected :)
    However if you are out in your boat and get into trouble under marine law they cant stop you from mooring up. Dont ask me to quote the law just heard this being discussed one night.
    that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Sorry are you living in a modern democratic republic or a backwards communist state? :eek: You seem to believe that just because this particular private piece of property is an of superior value / amenity than others that the state should pile in and take it?

Good grief whats next? Hanging not good enough for the cheeky bourgeoisie eh? :D

Its a matter of opinion really and I stated mine. I dont think anyone should own part of our country, surrounded or not by water.

Did the state not do something similar at Cliffs of Moher? O.K might be wrong to try compare the 2 but something different could be done with Lambay with walking tours and the like leaving from Skerries, Loughshinny or Rush seeing as so many boats are tied up.

Its debatabale the type of state we live in but again thats also a matter of opinion.

You are probably right if Fingal C.C owned it but I would suggest the O.P.W would be the minders.

I didnt suggest we just pile in and take it but I do feel it should be owned by the state. The least there should be is landing rights for any craft to tie up for a few hours. Maybe it needs a second pier or a jetty for small craft but its a huge amenity and should be used by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Bluehair wrote: »
    Sorry are you living in a modern democratic republic or a backwards communist state? :eek: You seem to believe that just because this particular private piece of property is an of superior value / amenity than others that the state should pile in and take it?

Good grief whats next? Hanging not good enough for the cheeky bourgeoisie eh? :D
    Well Dublin corpo cpo'd the Carlton cinema site on O'Connell St. to build a shopping centre. I'd guess there's no way something like that would be built on Lambay.

How do the bin lorrys get out there I wonder. or how do they dispose of their rubbish....
    'td eat into the hundred and ten euros a year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

For all you history buffs...

http://www.malahideheritage.com/Lambay%20Island.htm
    Dr and Mrs Kelly are the current inhabitants along with some farm workers.... it was owened by Lord Revelstoke/Rupert Baring

Mrs. Kelly is the daughter Rupert Baring so far as I am aware. They dropped the title in 1929.
    How did they come to own it?

The Barings bought from the Talbots of Malahide in 1904. The Talbots bought it from Willam Wolseley who acquired it through family lines in 1805 but whos family ownership can be traced back to 1611. PRrior to this it was owned by the Church who recieved a form of rent for several centuaries.
    They have a page to themselves in the Dublin Electoral Register! ;)
    Fingal Register of Electors... They are attached to the Balbriggan Electoral Ward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

The least there should be is landing rights for any craft to tie up for a few hours

There are, you just have to ask permission first. Its no different from your back garden, its private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

For film buffs, the famous director Michael Powell wrote part of "A Matter of Life and Death" while staying on Lambay Island. He writes a bit about the island in his autobiography "A life in movies" - he was very taken with the wallabies!

Edited to add - Just checked the book and it was "Black Narcissus" that Powell wrote on Lambay. He also said that he was sorry that he didn't have to opportunity to film "I know where I'm going" there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Interesting thread. I used to be able to see the island from the family house when I was growing up, always wondered what it was like out there.
    Sounds a bit like a River Cottage lifestyle for the current inhabitants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

What an interesting thread! Are there still wallabies there??

yep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

tbh, how did you get access? Did you just write and ask them for permission to come over, or did you have to have a special reason - archaeological, zoological study, etc??
    BTW, saw your pic somewhere on here and recognise ya from home! ;) How's Swords these days??

the guy who lives out there / owns it is a friend of a friend of the family - we were only tied up out there, never actually landed. Swords is great - would I know you? pm me if I do, always love to hear from people :)

if people are interested, I might make discreet enquires to see if we could take a trip out for the day - the boat is on the Shannon, so might need access to one, but I guess we could hire one. the far side of the island is worth seeing if you're into nature.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Alan, thanks for the history link.

tbh if you do get over there for a trip, take lots of photos :)

I'm going mad DB, I had loads of photos and a few videos from the last trip, but I can't find them. I've actually spent way too much time looking, in fairness to my boss! but if I find them or head out, I'll definitely post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

tbh wrote: »
    I'm going mad DB, I had loads of photos and a few videos from the last trip, but I can't find them. I've actually spent way too much time looking, in fairness to my boss! but if I find them or head out, I'll definitely post.

Thanks, that'd be great - I find the place fascinating. Went to Skerries for a drive with the hubby the other day for the first time in years and Lambay looks so different from that direction compared to the Malahide view.

Advertisement