Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambay Island

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

My grandfather was grounds keeper there and was Lord Revelstokes senior man on the island. He had tons of stories which kept us enthralled as kids!!! never got to visit but hope to get over some day with my dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

There are, you just have to ask permission first. Its no different from your back garden, its private property.

That was sort of my point Alan, I actually dont think there are landing rights unless you are in trouble and then they cant stop you but I think there should be a public pier or jetty there for pleasure craft to tie up (not land).

There is also a great tourism oppertunity for Fingal, it is very different from my back garden as I see it. Its a huge asset tous all. I am not suggesting we invade or take it but it in my opinion should be in the ownership of the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there are loads of wallabies on the island, i go fishing out there ever now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

That was sort of my point Alan, I actually dont think there are landing rights unless you are in trouble and then they cant stop you but I think there should be a public pier or jetty there for pleasure craft to tie up (not land).

There is also a great tourism oppertunity for Fingal, it is very different from my back garden as I see it. Its a huge asset tous all. I am not suggesting we invade or take it but it in my opinion should be in the ownership of the state.

No, it should be in the ownership of the people who actually OWN it - not the people who think that it might be a nice place for a picnic. The owners should be left in peace to enjoy their property - just as we are in our own homes. Just because it's attractive, does not mean that we should all automatically have the use of it.

The owners of Lambay are pretty isolated as it is - so they're quite right to be wary about who lands on their island. I wouldn't want every skanger with a jet-ski bothering me and demanding his landing "rights" thanks very much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

LeoB wrote: »

However if you are out in your boat and get into trouble under marine law they cant stop you from mooring up. Dont ask me to quote the law just heard this being discussed one night.

A common misconception. There is no "marine law" in Ireland (or UK) that gives a ship/boat overriding permission or authority to enter a harbour in extenuating circumstances. I have seen a boat refused refuge in a harbour on the East coast of Ireland in bad weather and I have been onboard a ship that was ordered out to sea in very bad weather as the harbour closed during storm force winds. The auld "any port in a storm" is the stuff of Patrick O'Brian.

Good thread BTW, I know there is also a chapel on the island that is used for family occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If the present owners ever did decide to sell then hopefully the state would but it - it would be a marvellous tourist attraction.

Unshelved wrote: »
    No, it should be in the ownership of the people who actually OWN it - not the people who think that it might be a nice place for a picnic. The owners should be left in peace to enjoy their property - just as we are in our own homes. Just because it's attractive, does not mean that we should all automatically have the use of it.

The owners of Lambay are pretty isolated as it is - so they're quite right to be wary about who lands on their island. I wouldn't want every skanger with a jet-ski bothering me and demanding his landing "rights" thanks very much.

LET ME CLEAR IN CASE YOU (CANT READ OR) MISREAD MY POST. I am not suggesting we "invade" the island. My earlier point is and remains all the islands in our waters should be the property of the state whether its Lambay Island or Mr. Haugheys island in Kerry.

We dont have unlimited use of some parks in Ireland and I dont think we would have unlimited use of Lambay Island either.

Is everyone who owns a jet ski a skanger? I think most people who own boats and sail as a past time, whether they are in Rush, Skerries or Malahide sailing clubs are very responsible people. Some of them use jet-ski's. However there is in my opinion a place for boats to tie up on a jetty overnight. Maybe the night at the jetty could be pre booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I am sure that the inhabitants of the Aran's, Inishbofin, Achill, Tory and all of the many other islands around this country wouldn't be too happy about the state taking ownership of their land.

Why should owners of land that happens to be unconnected to the mainland be discriminated against?

Is the Irish government not responsible for the Aran's, Tory and the rest.

My only point was I dont think any of the island around our coast should be in private ownership
    The Aran Islands, Sherkin and the majority of the Islands are fully accessable to every citizen.

How would they be discrimated against?

You said in an earlier post that it should be taken in the ownership of the state. Do you think that other Irish Islanders should also give up their privately held lands?
    If not then neither should the owners of Lambay. Otherwise, that would be discrimination.

• Advertisement

The Irish island landowners are no different. So yes. I think that Islands inside our waters are a major part of the our country but not always looked upon like this. They seem to be less valued IMO.

Maybe stewardship would have been a better word to use.

That is still tantamount to discrimination. Why treat islanders and their property differently to mainland landowners and their property?

I don't know what your interpretation of stewardship is in the context of this topic, but still it would mean that one group of Irish citizens would be treated differently to others based solely on their location.

The Barings own that property & have every right to keep it private. Same as I have my own property, & I'd be damned if I was going to let every Tom, Dick & Harry on to it.

And as for having a public pier or jetty on the island - Why? Should I have to build a car park to cater for drivers who want to pull up outside my home?

Hill Billy wrote: »
    That is still tantamount to discrimination. Why treat islanders and their property differently to mainland landowners and their property?

I don't know what your interpretation of stewardship is in the context of this topic, but still it would mean that one group of Irish citizens would be treated differently to others based solely on their location.

The Barings own that property & have every right to keep it private. Same as I have my own property, & I'd be damned if I was going to let every Tom, Dick & Harry on to it.

And as for having a public pier or jetty on the island - Why? Should I have to build a car park to cater for drivers who want to pull up outside my home?

I am not in any way into discrimating against any set or group of people. Its simple I just feel Lambay and every other Island should be in possesion of the state.

I dont see any harm in having a jetty. People often make unscheduled stops I am not asking they be given full blow rights to run amock. There is quite a bit of wildlife out there that needs protection.

People park outside your door and my door all the time and dont do any harm, Mind you I dont have a lot worth taking;)

I am not in any way into discrimating against any set or group of people.
    Its simple I just feel Lambay and every other Island should be in possesion of the state.
    Those two sentences are contradictory.

You are basically saying that those who live on the mainland have the right to own their property. However, those who live on an island should rescind that right & allow their property be taken by the state.

Every Irish islander & mainlander should have equal rights. What you are suggesting is that islanders should not have the right to their own land. That is clear discrimination.
    I dont see any harm in having a jetty.
    But it is the Baring's property. Why build a jetty for the public when they may not want the public to land on their private property?

We aint going to agree on this.
    I dont the sentences you quoted as contradictory

I am not asking anyone to recind their right to their property.

I think 99% of Irish people have equal rights, some would say no that some are more equal than others.

And the last sentence we just wont agree on.

I do think you have made valid points. I just find it hard to get away from the idea that I feel the Island around our coast are or can be privatly owned.

You dont see my point? Should I have even asked;)

Fair enough. We can discuss it over a beer sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

It would be a great tourism spot but, I don't see it as any different than the former beautiful agricultural fields that used to grace the back of my home. A person owned them and that person has rights.

Its also noteworthy that trespass is now a criminal offence.

Anyway, you are entitled to your point of view, but under your suggestion, all picturesque land should be in state ownership which is just plain mad.

Irelands Eye is still private but the Lawrence family allow access, I suppose if someone were to write out to the family, Duffy I think, and ask if they would consider opening it up at some stage during the course of the year they might consider it.
    If the present owners ever did decide to sell then hopefully the state would but it - it would be a marvellous tourist attraction.

Given its so large, I would imagine if it ever were to go on sale there would be a very, very short list of people who could afford it. Hopefully at that stage, the state might be able to afford it.

It sold in the 1910's for £9,000. 750 acres, ancient castle, three modern dwellings, a private chapel and a grave yard for sale... in a recession.... pluck a figure out of the air....

Am delighted I am entitled to my point of view.

No not all picturesqe lands would be in state ownership.
    As I have stated I just think because of where it is and what it is and its proximity to the shore better use should be made of it. I dont like the idea of any Island (Mr. Haugheys included) being in private ownership.

The Lawrence family by allowing access might hold the key to Lambay Island. Perhaps a season where a ticket for a nominal fee can be booked to go on a nature tour/walk.

The people who bought it back then were merchant bankers but in the 100 years since the world has changed so much that I would imagne with travel the way it is, people might be more inclinded to buy an Island in some sunny part of the world. If it does come up for sale the state should purchase it.

Must admit Lambay looked a right hellhole very uninviting from Cairn hill when I was driving back from Skerries this evening

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Fair enough. We can discuss it over a beer sometime.

Be delighted. Give it a few weeks. Dont wear that T-Shirt for Young Boys F.C and wankdorf stadium

Be delighted. Give it a few weeks. Dont wear that T-Shirt for Young Boys F.C and wankdorf stadium

:rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'd always imagined that a reclusive Mr. Burns like figure lived on the island. He would spend his days and nights sitting by a hearth in a large wine coloured leather upholstered armchair, clutching a glass of brandy while ruminating over days past in a dark, cavernous room surrounded by expensive paintings that remain in darkness save for the flickering light of the fire. Anyone else feel like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

no

Not quite, but have often wondered what it is like on one of the really bad winter days. Gale of wind, lashing rain and bitter cold. I like a bit of time on my own but not sure I would be cut out for the life of an islander.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Not quite, but have often wondered what it is like on one of the really bad winter days. Gale of wind, lashing rain and bitter cold. I like a bit of time on my own but not sure I would be cut out for the life of an islander.
    You are an islander - it's just that you live on a big island.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Olive Sprout

You need permission from the Kelly family to land on the island. I've seen the wallabies from a boat. There are plenty of deer, cattle and horses there too. It's in Rush according to An Post, which I would wholeheartedly agree with. The island is a nature reserve but I heard there's one man with a licence to hunt there - If they need to cull the deer...

The boat The Shamrock goes from Rogerstown in Rush to Lambay a couple of times a week with groceries, post etc. for the visitors. Great spot for some swimming on the northside - mind the seals though!!! :)

Paul Kelly painted some gorgeous work over there. http://www.gorrygallery.ie/Catalogs/pkct0410.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Does anyone know of a way to get in touch with the owners of lambay island?

Does anyone know of a way to get in touch with the owners of lambay island?

If you write to

Dr & Mrs Kelly
    Lambay Island
    Rush
    Co. Dublin

That will get them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

letter sent...fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a few shipwrecks around it too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭sashasdad

Lambay and the coast off Rush, Loughshinny and Skerries is littered with them. I had a read of Eirgrids submission to Bord Pleanala in which they detailed ship wrecks along this section of coastline. Fascinating stuff, trawlers sunk off Rush by German U-boats in WW1 caught my attention.
    Apologies mod's for going off topic

Advertisement