Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambay Island

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FingalForever

do you have a link for that submission Sascha?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

This kayaker got on the island. Theres a lot of seals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Banana_montana

Lambay is AMAZING. I had the pleasure of visiting it earlier in the Summer.
    Luckily a friends dad is Dr to the islands caretaker. The guy has lived there for over three decades and is so welcoming.
    The little cottages and the gardens are so amazing, I never thought there was more to the island apart from the tiny boathouse and white house you can see from Rush.

You do need permission and to be honest I'd have to be selfish and say the less people that get it the better, as I feel lucky having seen it. Saying that, if you get the chance take it. You can't take photos of the grounds or anything over there, you can only take the camera out when you go off adventuring.

There are Wallabies. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I think everyone needs to destress so I thought I would start a thread on Lambay Island which dominates the horizon from most of the beaches of NCD. I came across this beautiful video on Youtube. So stories, tales and images welcome but no Wallabies!! Everyone always gets fascinated by the Walabies and forgets about the Island!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

How did you get onto the island? Did you have to seek permission?

Great photos. I was out diving the shipwreck of the Tayleur during the summer. Was amazing driving up by the island in the boat. Its much bigger than it seems from land. I kept a beady eye out for wallabies but didn't see any! Didn't see much fish either under the sea too silty. Loads of Lions Mane jellyfish though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Great photos. I've never seen any from the island, the house is lovely. Lack of wallabies makes me sad though, don't diss the wallabies! :P

Introduction to Lambay House

Irish Independent, Sept 2003
    Lambay Castle, situated on Lambay Island, is of immense historical importance as it is one of the very few Edwardian country houses built in Ireland and is generally regarded as one of the most important 20th century buildings in the country. It was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens who is acknowledged as one of the most important international architects of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Lutyens also designed the landscape surrounding the house and an extensive complex of other buildings (including another large house, six cottages, farm buildings and a chapel.) Thus his association with the design of the house and the otherbuildings as well as the landscape marks it as being rather unique and certainly of great international importance.

Of perhaps greater significance is the fact that Lambay is one of only five Lutyens's houses still inhabited by the original family. It is to be lamented that once houses are sold by their original owning families, their contents tend to be dispersed.

Lecture on Art History, Lambay images start at P12, some really good high quality images of the house.
    http://www.tcd.ie/History_of_Art/undergrad/pdf/Lecture%209%20%20%20Sir%20Edwin%20Lutyens%20..pdf

Link for a copy of the catalogue for Local Rush Artist Paul Kelly 2004 Exhibition entitled Lambay: Portrait of an Island
    http://www.gorrygallery.ie/Catalogs/pkct0410.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Deadly thanks, always was wondering about lambay island.

Larianne wrote: »
    How did you get onto the island? Did you have to seek permission?

Great photos. I was out diving the shipwreck of the Tayleur during the summer. Was amazing driving up by the island in the boat. Its much bigger than it seems from land. I kept a beady eye out for wallabies but didn't see any! Didn't see much fish either under the sea too silty. Loads of Lions Mane jellyfish though.

You write to a Mrs Kelly who is a descendant of the Barings Family to ask permission to visit. Her and her husband currently run the Island for the family. Then you arrange your own transport over. I think I might have more success arranging a group trip over for boardies than a group drink. The island has always fascinated me to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Excellent, thanks for posting. I too have always been faciinated by Lambay and would love to visit it at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

How would you get in touch with Mrs Kelly to organise a visit ??

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

been on the island a good few times...

on the rush side there are very old steps carved into the rocks leading up from the water... also the old tennis courtyard is really good.

was over there one time about 4 years ago and came accross 2 wallabies in the ferns... think they were as shocked to see us as we were when we saw them! only thing i dont like is all the rabbits with mixamitosis, not nice at all

Below account of naturalists trip to Lambay to secure specimens of diving seabirds for Dublin Zoo from 1897, sorry the layout is skewed transferring from PDF.

Irish Naturalist, Notes from a Trip to Lambay Island, Knox, 1897
    On the 8th of August last, at the request of the Royal Zoological Society of Ireland, I left Amiens-street railway station by the morning train, accompanied by Dr. Carton, to get some diving birds for the new tanks in the Gardens. The train rattling past the slob-lands of Clontarf and Malahide gave us glimpses of motley congregations of various wild-fowl, the wary Curlew, with his hoarse guttural cry of alarm, and the timid Black-headed Gull, fresh in its immature plumage from the heathery inland bogs, being quite a contrast.

Arriving at Lusk railway station we were confronted by a
    number of jarveys each having his own idea of the fare to the
    village of Rush, about two and a half miles distant, the
    nearest point from which a boat can be got to go to Lambay
    Island. Our jarvey, being of a loquacious nature, pointed
    out objects of interest on the way. Passing Sir Roger Palmer's
    demesne he informed us that "it cud only be bate for rale
    beauty by one place in the three kingdoms ;
    " where that place
    was he could not remember. A little further on we came to
    the village of Rush, consisting of a street nearly a mile long
    lined by cottages, also having a police barrack, national
    school, coastguard station, cottage hospital, and some shops
    dispersed at intervals.

Finding an inn, on inquiry as to what provisions we could
    get to bring with us, we were rather amazed that no such thing
    as tinned meat could be got in the village, and had to be
    content with biscuits, bread and butter, until we got back. A
    coastguard over from the island, who proved to be a very
    accurate bird observer, gave us a lot of valuable information
    regarding the breeding-haunts of its visitors. Having found
    two boatmen less exorbitant in their prices than the rest, we
    embarked from the harbour in their yawl. -

On our passage over, I observed a large number of Razorbills
    and Guillemots, either in pairs or as single birds—all very
    tame. The paired birds, our boatmen informed us, were
    '* mother and daughter," which, indeed, on close inspection
    proved to be correct, the adult bird buoyed high in the water
    with maternal importance, being followed by its small off
    spring, which now and again coming closer to its parent,
    kept crying for food. We tried to capture several, but in vain,
    as on close approach the old bird alwaj^s dived, and the
    youngster followed. I fancy if we could have separated them
    we should have been more successful. Gulls, Terns, Cormorants,
    and Puffins kept crossing us as we neared the island,
    the Puffins being easily distinguished by their massive bill.
    Approaching the north side of the island, we could hear the
    weird calls of the Herring Gulls, interrupted now and then by
    the almost barking note of the Black-backed Gull.
    A boat can approach quite close to the cliffs on this side of
    the island, the water being very deep even at low tide. The tide
    being out left a number of rocks covered by sea-weed exposed.
    These rocks were literally brown with young Herring Gulls,
    seeming quite tame until nearly within grasp, when they
    flapped away. Hearing some mysterious sounds issuing
    from a creek, we determined to explore it. On our entry we
    disturbed a pair of Sandpipers and a Whimbrel, which we
    knew could not emit such sounds. The creek was towered
    over by high cliffs covered with now empty Kittiwakes' nests.
    Again the mysterious noises began followed by their echoes,
    seeming at one time like the cries of young hawks, and at
    another of something grunting and puffing. Dr. Carton first discovered
    their origin. High up in the cliff on a ledge sat a couple
    of pairs of Guillemots in a state of great excitement, turning
    round and round, bobbing their heads, and opening and
    flapping their wings ; on closer inspection we could see all this
    was caused by their anxiety to hide their solitary offspring,
    which was needless, as from their impregnable positions they
    were quite safe from ever getting to the Zoo.
    A little further round the island, turning a promontory, we
    came on a colony of Shags and Cormorants, some of the latter
    with outstretched wings and open mouths sunning themselves.
    The reason of this gaping position of the Cormorant is
    strange, but may be due to the anatomical defect of development
    as regards size of the nasal apertures and nasal
    chambers peculiar to this bird, leaving it to rely on chiefly
    oral and not nasal breathing after a long flight.
    . These birds on seeing us, gave quite an aquatic display,
    each having apparently its own way of getting under thewater in the quickest possible time. Reaching
    " Fresh-water
    Bay
    " we landed, leaving the yawl in charge of our two boatmen.
    The heather on the island was in full bloom, forming a
    Seals' Cave," the cliffs round
    which are the headquarters of the gull family of Lambay.
    Arriving there, we were greeted by an almost babel of cries—
    the yelping of some old Herring Gull, as he sedately sat with
    head thrown back to the sky on some rocky pinnacle, the
    Kittiwake almost calling his own name, the constant whirr of
    Puffins' wings as they crossed to their nests.
    It was chiefly for Puffins that I came to Lambay, so we sat
    down to watch these birds as they came in from the sea, with
    fry held transverse in their parrot bills. As most of my
    readers are aware, these birds build their nests in rabbit-holes,
    often at a great distance from the inlet. Many are the fierce
    conflicts that take place between the usurpers and the lawful
    owners. The Puffins were rather wary about settling near the
    burrow of their choice and, until we hid in the Bracken, we
    could not mark any. Presently we saw a bird alight with food
    in its bill, and after standing some time on the bank outside,
    it popped into a hole ; running up as fast as we could, we saw
    him coming out and flying away before we got there; putting
    my arm into the hole he had just quitted, I could touch
    nothing even with a stick, and thought we should have to dig
    the young one out, which might have been very heavy work
    should there be any anastomoses of the burrow.
    The duration of the visit of the Puffin being so short it
    struck me, after watching some more birds visit their nests,
    that they really had not time to travel any distance in
    the hole and come out in the short time they did, and that
    the young bird either sat near the mouth of the hole or came
    out to meet its parent as it came in. Marking another arrival
    I hurried with as little noise as possible, and after the old
    bird came out I ran my arm quickly into the burrow and had
    the pleasure of capturing a youngster as he hurried away
    into the passage.
    After this we got as many young Puffins as we wanted, only
    keeping the strong and more mature birds. I found that tapping gently in the holes, if the young were out of reach, in
    many cases had the result of making them run out to meet
    my hand, as they took the noise for the approach of the old
    bird up the hole. As I wanted an adult Puffin we had to try
    and hurry up before one left the hole. After some exertion
    I succeeded in touching him in a pocket burrow, in return
    for which I got such a bite that I extracted him still holding
    on to my finger. Leaving the Puffins we got some Kittiwake
    and Herring Gulls, and as evening was approaching we sailed
    back to Rush, from which, after a substantial meal, we set oflf
    with our living freight to Dublin.

Lambay also has some Facebook pages for those that love Facebook. These are the actual Facebook page titles so I haven't censored the titles.

"Take Lambay Island off that prick and have a session!!!!" 212 followers
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Take-Lambay-Island-off-that-prick-and-have-a-session/110806885619618

"Take Lambay Island off that prick and turn it in to a Wildlife park!" 276 followers
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Take-Lambay-Island-off-that-prick-and-turn-it-in-to-a-Wildlife-park/329432286011

It does show the level of ignorance of some facebook users and sadly I recognise locals among the followers which is a great shame.

Surprisely if they had investigated before joining the second link they would have easily found that Lambay is a special protected wildlife sancutary and their has been expert opinion that the wildlife population has benefited by the careful management of the Barrings family over the years. Visitors to the island would be restricted anyway even if the state owned the island to restrict the impact on the wildlife population.

LEX
    Directive 2009/147/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 30 November 2009 on the conservation of wild birds provides for the conservation of wild birds by, among other things, classifying important ornithological sites as Special Protection Areas for them. The effect of these Regulations is to designate a site as a Special Protection Area in accordance with Article 4 of the Directive and to provide that contravention of the provisions of these Regulations shall constitute an offence.

Just to show the levels of restrictions that the Barrings family have to operate the running of Lambay Island under see below some of the conditions that they must conform to:

S.I. No. 242/2010
    1.Any activity that involves the deliberate killing or capture of any species of naturally occurring bird in the wild state, save where a specific derogation within the meaning of Article 9 of the Directive is in place.

2.The destruction, damage or removal of nests or eggs or any disturbance, particularly during periods of breeding or rearing, save where a specific derogation within the meaning of Article 9 of the Directive is in place.

3.The rearing or keeping of birds, the hunting and capture of which is prohibited, save where a specific derogation within the meaning of Article 7 of the Directive is in place.

SITE SPECIFIC OPERATIONS OR ACTIVITIES REQUIRING CONSENT

4.Burning areas of vegetation.

5.Developing, operating or allowing leisure or sporting activities liable to cause significant disturbance to those birds listed in Schedule 3 of these Regulations or damage to their habitats.

6.Any activity intended to disturb those birds listed in Schedule 3 of these Regulations including by mechanical, air or wind powered or audible means.

7.Construction or alteration of tracks, paths, roads, embankments, car parks or access routes, or using or permitting the use of land for car parking.

8.Planting of trees.

9.Reclamation or infilling.

10.Removal of soil, mud, sand, gravel, rock or minerals.

11.Fishing by any type of nets.

12.Introduction (or re-introduction) into the wild of plants or animals not currently found in the area.

13.Grazing of livestock above a recommended density and period as defined in approved farm plans.

14.Any activity which destroys habitat, except normal maintenance activities as defined in approved farm plans.

15.Reclaiming land for agricultural purposes, including spraying or burning vegetation, clearing scrub and rough vegetation, draining or moving soil, ploughing, harrowing or reseeding.

16.Any other activity of which notice may be given by the Minister from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Anyone see Lambay today? looked like someone hurled a massive snow ball out into the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how much livestock is on the island?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

how much livestock is on the island?

Are wallabies livestock? ;)

Apparently there's black rats there too - which are extinct in most of the the rest of europe, but no - one is brave enough to give them protected species protection....
    ( the rats on the mainland are brown rats)

Seeing as the Barrings get all the grief for owning Lambay, who owns the other Dublin islands, the Skerries and Ireland's Eye?

Irelands Eye- is private ownership, part of the Howth Estate of Howth Castle fame. I don't know if the St Lawrence family still own whats left of the estate.

Sure the Skerries posters can answer the Skerries Islands and Rockabill question.

The reason why black rats survive on Lambay is due to that fact that the Island doesn't have brown rats otherwise know as Norway rats. Black Rats coming from Asia like warmer conditions and proved less adaptable to conditions, do ports in the British Isles still have the odd outbreak.

Extract from Black-Death-Revisted.org
    [The Black rat is susceptible to environment whereas the hardy Brown rat is much more adaptable and can live anywhere, as witness its ability to colonise sewers and coal mines, plus every other habitat. As a result of changes in trading methods and building, the Black rat has steadily declined in the British Isles. The last systematic regional survey of Black rat in Britain was in 1989 4 when I recorded the interesting fact that several records of its presence referred to one specimen only, as for example in the warehouse of a fruit importer at Paddock Wood, Kent. At that time it was clear that populations were impermanent and small. The most recent estimate suggests that the total population number of Black rats in the British Isles is only 1300 animals and facing extinction. Only a few small groups exist on some western islands in the Gulf Stream where it is warmer and there is a lack of ground predators such as weasels, stoats and foxes.

jetski wrote: »
    only thing i dont like is all the rabbits with mixamitosis, not nice at all

Due to the lack of predators for rabbits on the island mixamitosis must have been introduced to help control the population rather than run the risk of harming the bird population by introducing predators to the island. Cecil Barring the first of the Barring owners was a keen Naturalist and the geology and flora and fauna of the Island was surveyed in 1906. I found the below extract that shows the extent of the Islands rabbit population.

Extract Irish Naturalist, 1907
    Rabbits.
    Rabbits abound on Lambay. When they were brought over is
    unknown ; but they were being caught for sale in 1749, and have
    probably been so treated without much intermission since that
    date. Notwithstanding which, the absence of four-footed foes,
    a mild climate, plenty of food and good covert, have conspired
    to increase their numbers faster than the agriculturist would
    wish. Latterly an attempt has been made to keep them within
    reasonable limits. An idea of their numbers can be gained from
    the fact that between September, 1904, and the end of December,
    1906, about 24,000 were killed. Black Rabbits are not rare,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 undermeoxter

I'm sure you're aware that Lambay is an extinct volcano.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2451.1994.tb00869.x/abstract

In fact there was a discussion on boards.ie a few years back:
    Lambay Island is an extinct volcano of Ordovician age, the time when Ireland was divided in two by the Iapetus Ocean, prelude to the Atlantic. Lithified landslides are also preserved around its flanks.

Edited to add this link: http://www.gsi.ie/NR/rdonlyres/D481B8B4-F259-4B17-A200-724C6C6C5904/0/Fingal_section2_part1.pdf
    Go to page 5 for Lambay and page 13 for discussion of the rock formations between Rush and Skerries

Yes there has been a certain fascination on boards about the island over the years, I have come across at least six threads including one looking for the Irish state to take the Island back off the Brits and return it to Ireland. Ignorance of some amazes me.

Obituary of Lord Revelstoke, The London Independent, 1994.
    Rupert Baring, landowner: born London 8 February 1911; succeeded 1934 as fourth Baron Revelstoke; married 1934 Flora Fermor-Hesketh (died 1971; two sons; marriage dissolved 1944); died Dublin 18 July 1994.

LAMBAY rises from the Irish Sea 15 miles north of the centre of Dublin, and three miles off the coast. It is a small island, a mile square, and strategically useful to those who have defended or attacked the Irish capital over the centuries. The Vikings landed there in 795 before raiding the settlement on the south bank of the river Liffey, and in the 15th and 16th centuries securing Lambay was a priority for the British governing forces; the anchorage to the north of the island provided a natural shelter for pirates and French or Spanish fleets wishing to harry the British in the Irish Pale. A small blockhouse was built on the island in the 1490s and in Henry VII's and Henry VIII's reigns British men-of-war often rode at anchor off it for months at a time as a deterrent to the French and the Scots.

During the fourth Lord Revelstoke's 60-year custody of the island from 1934, Lambay has had a more peaceful significance. It is now a sanctuary for seabirds, an enclosed ecology, and largely unspoilt even while the capital has grown northwards, with housing and light industry spreading up into the country opposite Lambay. The island has long been a navigation point for sailors, and in the years of air travel has also become a landmark for passengers landing at Dublin airport, particularly since the building 10 years ago of the new main runway running east to west. The usual final approach takes planes immediately south of the island, giving passengers a clear view of Lambay's old stone blockhouse rebuilt and enlarged for Rupert Revelstoke's parents by Edwin Lutyens in the first decade of the century, nestling within a circular enceinte wall among ash, sycamore and Scots pine.

To preserve this little kingdom, its plants and its important colonies of auks, cormorants and gulls, Revelstoke restricted public access, as his father had done, and boats need a written permit to land. For the passing traveller this inaccessibility has cloaked the island, the man and the community who live there in benign mystery.

When Rupert Baring was born in London in 1911 the main work on the rebuilding of Lambay Castle was recently complete. Yet when his parents, Cecil and Maude Baring, bought the island in 1904 they had been attracted more by its flora and fauna than by any architectural ambitions. Cecil Baring was an unlikely banker, a naturalist and first-rate classical scholar, the second of five sons of Edward Baring, first Lord Revelstoke; the novelist and Russophile Maurice Baring was a younger brother. Cecil and his elder brother John had in large part taken over the running of the family bank Baring Brothers after their father had been humiliated by the Barings crisis in 1890, when the Bank of England had intervened to save the firm. While running the Barings branch in New York, Cecil had fallen in love with Maude, the youngest child of the American tobacco magnate and sportsman Pierre Lorillard V. Maude was unhappily married to Tommy Tailer, a business partner of Cecil's. When she divorced Tailer and married Cecil in 1902 it caused such a scandal in the family that Cecil temporarily retired from Barings in his late thirties.

The spur to return to business was a plan to remodel the castle which developed after the Barings had first taken Lutyens to see the island in 1905. The main work was finished by 1910. It remains Lutyens's most satisfying domestic building in the romantic manner: taking a lead from the trapezoidal shapes in the old block, Lutyens made a building without right-angles in the plan of the house or garden, with a large new courtyarded block added at one corner of the old keep, deftly set into the sloping hillside. There is remarkable detail and craftsmanship in the limestone fireplaces, window dressings and the woodwork of the doorways.

Lutyens was Rupert Baring's godfather and a central figure in his childhood. The elder of his two sisters, the artist Daphne Pollen, wrote a glowing account of their childhood, I Remember, I Remember (1983), in which Lutyens emerges as an endearing, brilliant and amusing figure.

In later life Lutyens walked the house and garden with Baring, modestly demonstrating principles and small felicities in the design. He pointed at a flight of two semi-circular steps in the north court: they were round, he explained, to welcome you in, and there were two steps because they led into two further compartments in the garden. His great ambition in the building, Lutyens said, was to achieve the right 'angles of light', in particular in the moulding of the windows, where any hint of sharpness had to be avoided in the edges and joins.

Rupert Baring was educated at Eton and at Trinity College, Cambridge. He had a keen eye and was a crack shot with a rifle and a brilliant child cricketer. His mother, a beautiful, warm-hearted figure, whose shimmering portrait by Ambrose McEvoy hangs in the Walker Gallery in Liverpool, died when Baring was 11, and his sisters Daphne and Calypso played a protective role in his upbringing.

He grew to be an exceptionally fine-looking man, with more than a touch of the matinee idol. In 1934, the year of his father's death, Rupert Revelstoke, as he had now become, married Flora, daughter of Sir Thomas Fermor-Hesketh, later the first Lord Hesketh. She was a slight, dark-haired pocket Venus. The Revelstokes made a handsome couple sitting together in court the following year after a former girlfriend of his, Angela Joyce, an actress and sometime Miss England, whom he had known when an undergraduate, had sued him for breach of promise of marriage. He refused to settle and endured having his love letters read out in court and published in the newspapers.

Joyce's suit was unsuccessful but press interest was enormous. Leading articles called for the law to be altered, arguing that a woman should not be able to claim damages for not obtaining the position she hoped for as the wife of a rich man. The law was duly changed, and Revelstoke remained the last man to be sued in this way. After the case the hotelier Rosa Lewis threw a party to celebrate and the whole episode was depicted in the drama series The Duchess of Duke Street (1977), in which Revelstoke's character, 'Lord Haslemere', was played by the young Christopher Cazenove.

Revelstoke had inherited his father's enthusiasms for theatre and for real tennis (an open-air court for the game was built on Lambay in 1922), but not for finance. He spent just two years with Barings, in Liverpool and in New York, and while in New York mixed in the circle of Irving Berlin and Rodgers and Hammerstein. The writing of lyrics and verse was a lifelong fascination. He kept typed and bound volumes of what he called his 'doggerel'. One of the largest of these projects was his verse version of Aesop's fables and he was flattered that Sir John Betjeman thought them doggerel, 'but good doggerel'. The film-maker Michael Powell, another friend, wrote the screenplay for his film Black Narcissus (1946) - in fountain pen in two days - while staying with Revelstoke at Lambay. Powell also had a plan for a musical film to be made at Lambay, about the transformation of an island paradise into a nuclear station. It was at first entitled E=MC2 and changed to Sea Birds Don't Sing. Cyril Cusack was to play the main part, but the project never came off.

Revelstoke had served in the Territorial Army in the 1930s and during the Second World War masterminded the collection and distribution of Red Cross parcels to be sent to prisoners of war.

The break-up of his marriage to Flora in 1944 was a great blow to him, but he was devoted to their two sons and four grandchildren and her two daughters by her second marriage.

After the war Revelstoke lived increasingly at Lambay, in later life coming off five or six times a year to visit Dublin and London. Mechanisation and the encroachment of modern life, making it hard to find people happily adapted to the rigours of the island, saw the permanent population drop from more than 20 to a fluctuating four or five. Ten years ago the Dublin council asked Revelstoke to cull the large herring- gull population on the island, as the birds were flying from the island to feed at rubbish dumps close to the airport, creating a danger of bird-strikes. The cull was carried out for several years and Revelstoke wrote to the Irish Times suggesting the burning of rubbish or the moving of these dumps as an additional, better solution.

Latterly, he was wonderfully resigned, content and philosophical about life and happiest when gardening in winter or playing chess in the early hours of the morning.

In 1902 his father had commissioned the Irish Naturalists' Society to make a complete survey of the island's flora and fauna; and in the last four years a team of scientists from Trinity College Dublin repeated the exercise, also including a reconsideration of the archaeological evidence of Neolithic burial cairns, the graves of the Iron Age 'shore people', and Roman artefacts. The visits of these scientists and the plans for the book that it is hoped will soon be published were part of the methodical organising of his memories that Rupert Revelstoke went through when he knew his life was drawing to its end.

137163.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

What is the backing music to the video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Origin of Barings Family Title and Current Heirs.

Extract from Wikipedia
    Baron Revelstoke, of Membland in the County of Devon, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1885 for the businessman Edward Baring, head of the family firm of Barings Bank. Baring was the son of Henry Baring, third son of Sir Francis Baring, 1st Baronet, and the nephew of Alexander Baring, 1st Baron Ashburton, the second cousin of Francis Baring, 1st Baron Northbrook, the elder brother of Evelyn Baring, 1st Earl of Cromer and the uncle of Evelyn Baring, 1st Baron Howick of Glendale. He was succeeded by his second but eldest surviving son John, the second Baron. John was a partner in Baring Brothers and Co. Ltd, a Director of the Bank of England, and also served as Lord Lieutenant of Middlesex. On his death the title passed to his younger brother Cecil, the third Baron. He acquired Lambay Island, north of Dublin, in 1904. As of 2010, the title is held by his grandson, the sixth Baron, who succeeded his elder brother in 2003. As a descendant of Sir Frances Baring, 1st Baronet, he is also in remainder to the Baring Baronetcy of Larkbeer, a title held by his kinsman the Baron Northbrook.

The man-of-letters the Hon. Maurice Baring was the fifth son of the first Baron.

The 1st Lord Revelstoke who was Diana, Princess of Wales' Great Great Grandfather.

137173.jpg

Peerage.com
    5th Lord Revelstoke
    John Baring, 5th Baron Revelstoke of Membland
    b. 2 December 1934, d. 5 June 2003
    John Baring, 5th Baron Revelstoke of Membland was born on 2 December 1934. He was the son of Rupert Baring, 4th Baron Revelstoke of Membland and Hon. Flora Breckinridge Fermor-Hesketh. He died on 5 June 2003 at age 68 at Kenya, unmarried.
    John Baring, 5th Baron Revelstoke of Membland was educated at Eton College, Eton, Berkshire, England. He succeeded to the title of 5th Baron Revelstoke of Membland, co. Devon [U.K., 1885] on 18 July 1994.

6th Lord Revelstoke
    James Cecil Baring, 6th Baron Revelstoke of Membland
    b. 16 August 1938
    James Cecil Baring, 6th Baron Revelstoke of Membland was born on 16 August 1938 at Bryanston Square, London, England. He is the son of Rupert Baring, 4th Baron Revelstoke of Membland and Hon. Flora Breckinridge Fermor-Hesketh. He married, firstly, Aneta Laline Dennis Fisher, daughter of Erskine Arthur Hamilton Fisher, on 16 August 1968 at London, England. He married, secondly, Sarah Stubbs, daughter of William Edward Stubbs, in 1983 at Saint-Remy-de-Provence, France.
    James Cecil Baring, 6th Baron Revelstoke of Membland was educated at Eton College, Eton, Berkshire, England.1 He succeeded to the title of 6th Baron Revelstoke of Membland, co. Devon [U.K., 1885] on 5 June 2003

Children of James Cecil Baring, 6th Baron Revelstoke of Membland and Aneta Laline Dennis Fisher
    Hon. Alexander Rupert Baring b. 9 Apr 1970 (Heir to Title)
    Hon. Thomas James Baring1 b. 4 Dec 1971

Children of James Cecil Baring, 6th Baron Revelstoke of Membland and Sarah Stubbs
    Hon. Flora Aksinia Baring1 b. 17 Jul 1983
    Hon. Miranda Louise Baring2 b. 1 May 1987

Blackjack wrote: »
    What is the backing music to the video?

Brian Eno "An Ending Ascent"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Irelands Eye- is private ownership, part of the Howth Estate of Howth Castle fame. I don't know if the St Lawrence family still own whats left of the estate.

They do own the island and much of the hill but according to 'The Hill of Howth' 1971 An Taisce lease most the hill and island lands from the Gaisford-St Lawrence family unsurprisingly on very generous lease terms. I reckon the family still directly hold the Castle and Deerpark grounds. (Will make enquiries)

As to ownership of Lambay, a lot of bigoted eejits seem to think it was granted on some royal thingummyjig when it was actually bought through a regular private sale advertised in The Field periodical.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've merged the two recent Lambay Island threads as they are both very much on the same topic. Therefore it makes sense to have all this valuable info in the one thread.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I've merged the two recent Lambay Island threads as they are both very much on the same topic. Therefore it makes sense to have all this valuable info in the one thread.

HB

cheers - loads of questions in the original have been answered by corsindonk

• Advertisement

The survery team of 1906 included that rarity of the time a female scientist. Cecil and Maude Barings were encouraged to contribute to the survey reports and were keenly interested in the survey teams studies.

Anyone that cares to read the 1907 published survey reports can find them at the link below, some nice images of the Island from 1906 including deer on the island.
    http://www.archive.org/stream/irishnaturalist16roya#page/n19/mode/2up

The Irish Naturalist, 1907 Cecil Baring(3rd Lord Revelstoke)
    Notes on History of the Island
    To the foregoing description of Lambay it has been thought
    desirable to add a short account of the island in relation to its
    human inhabitants, since human occupation has naturally
    exercised a considerable influence on the flora and fauna. In
    order to avoid the introduction of matter that would be
    unsuited to these pages, the briefest summary that is consistent
    with clearness and truth is all that will be attempted. For an
    historical notice of the island, reference may be made to D'Alton's
    " History of the County Dublin," which has been used as the
    authority for many of the dates and statements that appear
    below.

That the island was colonised in Neolithic times would appear
    from the presence of flakes and cores of flint, which are mentioned
    above by Mr. Seymour and Mr. Hinch. The presence of man
    in the later Bronze Age is suggested by the fixiding on the island
    of a gold band, chastely ornamented (fig. i, p. 16), which is
    referred to that period. The cairn which crowns Knockbane, too,
    is clearly artificial, and no dcubt prehistoric, though no evidence
    is forthcoming as to its age.

When we come to historical times we find Lambay identified
    by writers on church history with the Rechra or Rechru of early
    chronicles and the Rechen or Rochen of mediaeval documents,
    names that still survive, it is thought, in Portrane, formerly
    Port-Rechran, the nearest point of the mainland to Lambay.
    This identification, hardly satisfying in the case of Rechen, is
    complicated in the case of Rechra by the fact that at least one
    other island, namely Rathlin, off the Antrim coast, is known to
    have borne that name : from which it seems to follow that what
    is recorded of Rechra cannot be referred with certainty either to
    Rathlin or to Lambay. Leaving on one side the interesting
    question thus raised, which concerns the philologist and the
    historian, we may apply ourselves to the consideration of Lambay
    under the name which it now bears. This name it is thought
    to have acquired about the tenth century from the Danes ;
    but it is not impossible that there may have been an older name
    (perhaps discernible in the Limn us of Ptolemy and Pliny) on
    to which was added a Scandinavian suffix. However this may
    be, it is as Lambey that the island at the end of the twelfth
    century became the property of the Archbishops of Dublin, in
    whose hands it was to remain for the next 350 years. Except
    for the authorization of the building of a chantry in 1337 and
    of a fortress in 1467, no knowledge of what happened on the island
    during that long period has come down to us. The chantry, if
    built, must have been since built over or otherwise suppressed ;
    the fortress, which the Earl of Worcester was commissioned to
    build, may be the stone edifice now standing ; but in neither
    case does the title to the island seem to have been disturbed,
    for it passed in 1551 (all except the hawks and falcons, which
    were specially exempt) from the See of Dublin to John Chaloner,
    an Englishman who held several official positions, and in par-
    ticular that of Secretary of State in Ireland under Queen Elizabeth.
    Chaloner was interested in several Irish mines ; on Lambay he
    worked four, and hoped from the copper and silver produced
    to enrich not only himself but the English Crown — an expec-
    tation that was not fulfilled. Of interest in his correspondence
    are the references to the Lambay marbles and to the falcons,
    bred on the Lambay cliffs, which in 1579 and 1580 he sent as a
    present to Sir F. Walsingham in London. In all likelihood the
    fortified enclosure which can still be traced in a field south of
    the castle, was made by Chaloner as a protection for the " colony '
    which there is reason to believe he introduced. Both before
    and after his time Lambay must have been, from a seafaring
    point of view, a well-known place ; pirates and privateers were
    constantly using its convenient roadsteads, and from time to
    time it was the station or rendezvous of a fleet. The statement
    in D'Alton's history that there was at the end of the fifteenth
    century a dry passage between Lambay and Skerries, is based
    on a misunderstanding. There is no reason for believing in the
    recent existence of such a land connection. After Chaloner's
    death Lambay passed successively into the possession of the
    Ussher family (1610-1805), Sir William Wolseley (1805-1841),
    the family of Loid Talbot de Malahide (1841-1888), and Count
    James Considine (1888-1904). The introduction of deer dates
    from the last-named ownership. In Sir William Ussher's time
    (1610) there was a village near the castle, and the island is
    described as parti) ploughed and paitly pasture. About 1650
    the population in recorded as nine Irish. In 1749 the buildings
    aie enumerated as five castles and fifty cottages, and two-thirds
    of the area was grass land or tilled. In the first half of the
    nineteenth century the population was 100 to 120, and farming
    operations were cariied on with success until the island was sold
    by Lord Talbot, about which time the old resident families
    seem to have died out or emigrated. The pier and coastguard
    station were built between 1822 and 1829, the chapel in 1833.

Advertisement