Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambay Island

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

My house isn't an island. It's all about the fact of it being an island.

But as long as I get the requisite 200 Facebook likes the public have spoken and I can commandeer private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

All I'm saying is I don't think islands should be privately owned, man.
    Why islands specifically? I, & the owners of Lambay I am sure, would love to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Goggleyed_gimp

BKWDR wrote: »
    Well at least you are going to college....getting some time out of the house is good....

Hahaha what a creep

Graham wrote: »
    But as long as I get the requisite 200 Facebook likes the public have spoken and I can commandeer private property.

I already made my point about the 200 likes! If the whole country had a choice to click like on that I think most people would.

Right lads, I'm done now with this conversation, I'm not changing my mind, if I do in the future I promise I'll let has know. I'm sure you're all sound. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: Some of the posts in this thread have been personal and uncivil and I'd like to remind everyone that this won't be tolerated.

On the subject of privately owned islands - didn't Charlie Haughey own one of the Blaskets at one stage?

Thank God petitions signed by a minority of the population don't hold any sway or we'd all be licking Conor McGregor's face and slapping it onto envelopes! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This is fantastic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Graham wrote: »

No, you have to ask your college mates what they think first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

On the subject of privately owned islands - didn't Charlie Haughey own one of the Blaskets at one stage?

I believe he used to own Inishvickillane.
    Not sure who owns it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

back in the good aul days of the celtic tiger an island for sale would pop in the property section of the times every once in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

neris wrote: »
    back in the good aul days of the celtic tiger an island for sale would pop in the property section of the times every once in a while.

Some are surprisingly inexpensive.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ever-wanted-your-island-heres-6553496

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Still think the island should be used by the state or owned/leased by the state for educational purposes.

Reading back through a few posts the place has such huge potential to boost Fingal tourism, B & Bs on the mainland.

It was not meant that we parade in take over the place but to gain access which would be mutually beneficial to the Baring clan and our state. Just like many estates let in groups for nature walks (once respect is shown to the property) and in comparison to the Aran islands the state maintain services to the islands and roads are public which is why they get so many visitors.

Im sure Mr Baring will be happy to get some grants from the state so maybe a little deal should be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

LeoB wrote: »
    Still think the island should be used by the state or owned/leased by the state for educational purposes.

Reading back through a few posts the place has such huge potential to boost Fingal tourism, B & Bs on the mainland.

It was not meant that we parade in take over the place but to gain access which would be mutually beneficial to the Baring clan and our state. Just like many estates let in groups for nature walks (once respect is shown to the property) and in comparison to the Aran islands the state maintain services to the islands and roads are public which is why they get so many visitors.

Im sure Mr Baring will be happy to get some grants from the state so maybe a little deal should be done?

I don't think this is overly unreasonable but I still don't really see the distinction between it and any other privately held bit of land in the country. I'm sure there are loads of areas in the country that could be good for tourism that the public have no access to.

It is a bit of a shame but they own the island, end of story imo.

For one instant - let's consider that the state or FCC slapped a compulsory purchase order on Lambay for, say, €10m (at a rough estimate). Surely the money would be better spent on maintaining/improving existing basic services? Eg, sports grounds, libraries, community services.

What would they do with it? Turn it into a theme park? Rehouse the homeless out there?

If the state could just repossess all islands, it wouldn't be long before they'd dig a channel through Sutton, declare Howth to be an island & repossess that too.

Crazy? Maybe. But no crazier than thinking private land should be taken from its owners just "because it is an island."

There is no comparison with the Aran Islands. They are not privately owned. The state has an obligation to provide & maintain basic services, eg, roads, electricity, etc. As for tourism - this is a local economic necessity for islanders to generate income.

Wealthy owners of a private island don't need tourism to survive. Where's the "mutually beneficial" bit, from the owners' perspective, about people walking through their back garden, using their loo, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Well if it were in Public Ownership, we could ship 158 TD's out to Lambay on Thursday, and tell them to light a bonfire when they have elected our new leader, and we can send a boat out to collect them.

Otherwise they can all stay there till it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Originally posted by martinn123 - Well if it were in Public Ownership, we could ship 158 TD's out to Lambay on Thursday, and tell them to light a bonfire when they have elected our new leader, and we can send a boat out to collect them.

Otherwise they can all stay there till it's done.
    Brilliant idea Martin,but I'd only give them one oar for the journey back,apart from that I'd say that's why their over there and we're over here.
    They are in ''splendid isolation'' as they used to say,away from the madness of life over here,wonder did they get a water bill or posters popping up over night,I would't be at all surprised if they even got junk mail over there.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

My house isn't an island.

No man is an island

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

For one instant - let's consider that the state or FCC slapped a compulsory purchase order on Lambay for, say, €10m (at a rough estimate). Surely the money would be better spent on maintaining/improving existing basic services? Eg, sports grounds, libraries, community services.

What would they do with it? Turn it into a theme park? Rehouse the homeless out there?

If the state could just repossess all islands, it wouldn't be long before they'd dig a channel through Sutton, declare Howth to be an island & repossess that too.

Crazy? Maybe. But no crazier than thinking private land should be taken from its owners just "because it is an island."

Even then I doubt our Supreme Court, who are big on property rights, would ever allow it. Not to mention the property rights enshrined in the Constitution. If the State were allowed to go barging in buying whatever land they wanted for tourism purposes then no-one would ever buy land in scenic areas for fear it might happen to them.

Also AFAIK CPOs are only to be used 'in the national interest' which is interpreted as for infrastructural reasons such as a new motorway or gas pipelines, etc. Not for tourism. Actually the State tried recently to push the boundaries of the meaning of the national interest by doing the bidding of Intel who wanted to CPO a private farmers land to expand their plant in Kildare. Intel were trying to use jobs as the carrot to force the farmer off his land but he refused to budge as it was his only source of income and had also been in his family for generations. The High Court backed Intel but on appeal to the Supreme the judges there said it would set a dangerous precedent to allow private corporations to CPO land, irrespective of how many jobs they claimed they would create. And rightly so, people who buy land have to have some sort of reassurance that it isn't going to be taken off them by a more powerful entity.

The people who own Lambay do so legitimately under the laws of the land and unless they wish to sell then they should be left well alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

I was in O'Connells pub in Howth the other day and I saw on the menu that their beef comes from Lambay, when available. Nice to see, and interesting to know where some of the beef is going.

• Advertisement

Did you order it? I bet its tasty with those cows being reared out in the fresh sea air :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Even then I doubt our Supreme Court, who are big on property rights, would ever allow it. Not to mention the property rights enshrined in the Constitution. If the State were allowed to go barging in buying whatever land they wanted for tourism purposes then no-one would ever buy land in scenic areas for fear it might happen to them.

Also AFAIK CPOs are only to be used 'in the national interest' which is interpreted as for infrastructural reasons such as a new motorway or gas pipelines, etc. Not for tourism. .
    Dublin Corpo CPO'd some land on O'connell st for a shopping centre a few years ago....
    because the national interest demands more shops in Dublin... :rolleyes:

I wonder what wallaby from Lambay would taste like? hopefully not as tough as lidl's lkangaroo.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did you order it? I bet its tasty with those cows being reared out in the fresh sea air :)

Unfortunately not, though I did have a very nice view of Lambay while I ate my lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Conchir wrote: »
    Unfortunately not, though I did have a very nice view of Lambay while I ate my lunch!

I have a very nice view of Lambay from my home office, master bedroom & sitting room

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

The island is only for elites? Mate, they own it and they earned it and it has been in their holding for quite literally ages. Take a hike.

For others who came here looking for information on the island, check out this Wikipedia link. It's the first place I looked. All the questions that have been asked thus far are answered there including wildlife, demographics, history and how to get there (and yes, permission is needed).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambay_Island

Dublin Corpo CPO'd some land on O'connell st for a shopping centre a few years ago....
    because the national interest demands more shops in Dublin... :rolleyes:

I wonder what wallaby from Lambay would taste like? hopefully not as tough as lidl's lkangaroo.

Yeah they also managed to put a bulldozer through perhaps the best Viking ruins anywhere in Europe too on Wood Quay. Instead of real Viking ruins now for tourists to visit all we have is some multimedia presentation called Dublinia. Well done the Corpo on that one :rolleyes: Feckin' eejits :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

10jjan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

tricky D wrote: »
    Plenty of 'our' islands are privately owned. There's no good reason why not. Ireland's Eye is privately owned too by the Gaisford-St Lawrence (formerly the Lord Howth family) family but allows public access.

And it's ****ing covered in litter! Seriously, anyone championing the idea of turning Lambay into some tourist hotspot / wildlife utopia should take a trip out to ireland's eye one sunny day and see how filthy the place is.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

And it's ****ing covered in litter! Seriously, anyone championing the idea of turning Lambay into some tourist hotspot / wildlife utopia should take a trip out to ireland's eye one sunny day and see how filthy the place is.

we are used to the council cleaning the public beaches on our coast - so if we had no council our beaches would look as bad as Ireland's eye - there's a lot of plastic refuse washed up on the shores of Lambay also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

An Taisce run the hugely successful Clean Coasts programme, organising groups and communities to keep our beaches and coast's clean,anybody can join or organise a group.

Full info here ...http://cleancoasts.org/our-initiatives/clean-coasts-volunteering/

The next clean coasts week is May 8/17th ....http://cleancoasts.org/our-initiatives/clean-coasts-week/

Sources of Marine Litter ...http://cleancoasts.org/marine-litter/#sources

Advertisement