Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Scientist Photo Competition

• 12-08-2009 8:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this competition advertised in my copy of New Scientist and thought ye might be interested:

http://www.newscientist.com/projects/promotions/cal2010comp

It's for photos for the 2010 calendar and the theme is how you feel science affects you or the world around you. It's quite broad.

The prize is to be in the calendar (not a lot of money or good gear or anything but the exposure for your photography would be huge).

(I think they made a mistake with 200KB being the max upload, when they state in the very next sentence that the image needs to be high res for printing..)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

they want the lo-res versions first (200kb) and then when they pick winners they'll ask you for your hi-res version (which they claim should be 20MB but they are working off an outdated convention when film scans would eb 20MB tif files)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

DotOrg wrote: »
    they want the lo-res versions first (200kb) and then when they pick winners they'll ask you for your hi-res version (which they claim should be 20MB but they are working off an outdated convention when film scans would eb 20MB tif files)

Ah thanks for clarifying that for me, I was confused this morning! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Ah sure, I stuck one in for the craic!
    Only pic I have that could meet the brief!

I wonder if we bombard them with images by boardies, between now and the closing date of Sept. 2nd, could we take over the calendar? :cool:

edit: ordered myself some ND filters and going to head back to those beasties!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DotOrg wrote: »
    Aye, that seems to be it.
    The maximum size of the sample photo you need to send (and can send) for
    judging is 200kB. You need to keep a 20MB version on your drive, to send
    in the event that you win.

Reason: print needs much larger file-sizes than on-screen judging.

Mike Holderness
    Acting Letters Editor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Someone post a priest on a mobile phone...

• Advertisement
Advertisement