Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poop eating

Options
  • 12-08-2009 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi All -

I have a 15 week old pup - who has started eating his poops - here was I thinking toilet training was going great - now I know why I'm not finding poops around the place!

I try watching him like a hawk - but he's so fast - poop - eat - all gone!:eek:

He is on Burns mini bites.

Anybody have any tips on how to stop him ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Give him some chunks of pineapple in with his food (seriously). They like the taste going in, but it tastes hideous to them coming out so they stop eating the poop then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

+1 on the pineapple- i've heard a lot of people swear by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi, vet recommended putting a few drops of abidec into food (its a baby vitamen) to a friend of mine when her dog was doing the same, used it for few days and stopped him straight away hasnt done it since. only used it for a few days.

i have heard people recommend pineapple on this site before but have no experience of it working :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 turtle21

Copraphagia (the posh name for poop eating) does no harm that I know of. Apart from bad breath I suppose! I always think of it as an extended version of bum washing and have never understood why humans dislike it so much.

When horses do the same thing it is to gain gut flora that they are lacking.Is it possible dogs have similar reasons for the habit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

turtle21 wrote: »
    When horses do the same thing it is to gain gut flora that they are lacking.Is it possible dogs have similar reasons for the habit?

not sure, but I'd imagine its something to do with since they don't digest most of the food, they still think the poo is food? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Molberts wrote: »
    not sure, but I'd imagine its something to do with since they don't digest most of the food, they still think the poo is food? :confused:
    Very close alright - it will still smell and taste similar to them since their digestion process won't yet break it down properly. Hence the attraction - its like an extra meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭littlelady

soon as you see his poop sprinkle some white pepper in it, it will eventually deter him from going near it and hopefully all other poops!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As said Pineapple works great you only need to give a little.
    Our pup wasn't eating his poop but as prevention I give him a little bit of frozen pineapple now and then it's doubles up as an ice lolly to help with his teething.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Rogan

Thanks Tillygirl, Starpants and Topdog - I will definately try the pineapple - and if that doesn't work try the Abidec Drops!
    turtle21 wrote: »
    Copraphagia (the posh name for poop eating) does no harm that I know of. Apart from bad breath I suppose! I always think of it as an extended version of bum washing and have never understood why humans dislike it so much.

He likes licking our faces - so that's reason enough for me not to want him to eat his poop! :D
    Molberts wrote: »
    Top Dog wrote: »
    Very close alright - it will still smell and taste similar to them since their digestion process won't yet break it down properly. Hence the attraction - its like an extra meal.

Haha - so I am saving on food bills - only need to feed him half!:o
    littlelady wrote: »
    soon as you see his poop sprinkle some white pepper in it, it will eventually deter him from going near it and hopefully all other poops!

Problem is that half the time he does it, I don't think we see him - so maybe by using the pineapple it will always taste horrible to him!
    As said Pineapple works great you only need to give a little.
    Our pup wasn't eating his poop but as prevention I give him a little bit of frozen pineapple now and then it's doubles up as an ice lolly to help with his teething.

Good idea - he is also teething like mad!

Thank you everyone - it's great to be able to post a problem and get some advice on it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 turtle21

Even when you stop him 'adding' to his rations with his recycling habit he STILL licks his bum etc not to mention the unmentionables of other dogs before licking your face so I suggest you work on not letting him lick you if you're squeamish about where his tongue has been!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

One theory I heard as to why they eat it is if they've been previously scolded for doing it somewhere inappropriate. For fear of further reprimanding they then destroy the evidence as soon as possible. It's that old behaviour association chestnut. if you are quick you could try distracting him before it's gone and reward, praise him etc. While it does sound like a plausible theory I think with one of mine it's really because he's a greedy piglet. He has even been known to regurgitate his dinner for seconds :eek:

Advertisement